A case study: US vs Canada health care costs

Only just starting it. I saw a long form interview of him which prompted me to buy the book. The subject healthcare costs is something I’ve been interested in since I went private and started paying the full cost of my insurance.

Where? it’s like 25k per year for med school at UBC, probably 15-20k per year for undergrad.

my cousin who is now an attending surgeon at boston childrens hospital was making 18k a week as a resident serving northern first nations communities in canada.

she graduated with over 200k debt and had it paid off in a year and a half.

Quebec. Back when I was at university, you paid 3-4k per year at any Quebec university (McGill, UDM)

I know no one is going to believe this, but average physician salary in Quebec for non-surgical and non-intervention docs is higher than in NY.

Surgeons, radiologists do much more in NY

Quebec is not Canada. I know it’s crazy but we don’t even have the same “federal” laws.

Still crazy though had no idea they subsidized it so much over there.

I remember that Ontario med students paid 10k per year. Americans who went to McGill paid 15k.

Yeah i just looked at fees now and it looks like its roughly about 65k for canadians who aren’t resident in Quebec and just under 30k for Quebec residents.

I just looked at UBC again and it’s 90k for 4 years for BC residents, UBC doesn’t take international applicants (They already have waaay too many applicants) and only take a couple out of province applicants.

International students at Mcgill are looking at 160k, just shows how much Quebec subsidizes for their own residents.

Your friend is lucky they got theirs at 60k (or 15k per year)

That was more than 20 years ago!

WOW!

Maybe if America didn’t spend $2.3 trillion in Iraq and Afghanistan, this money can subsidize poor Americans health insurance.

Isn’t that what medicaid is?

it’s actually irrelevant. If we didn’t all pay $20000+ to insurance companies every year so they can make record profits and add huge levels of bureaucracy to it we could lower everyones payments. But with so many people employed in each state no government wants to be part of breaking it up.

Yeah that’s wild. My masters cost me less than my undergrad in part due to scholarships

Varies so much, I have 2 masters, one i paid 10k for, one I paid 50k for.

I’ve had one kid in both countries. We got absolutely superior service in Canada. It was really insane. It doesn’t make sense because EVERYTHING ELSE in Canada costs more. It really has made me aware what a scam it was/is and I’m a big believer in single payee now

The wait for the non emergency stuff and MRI’s is the only downside imo

1 Like

I don’t doubt what you’re saying but it doesn’t lead me to your conclusion. I buy into what others have said here that the problem is likely more related to insurance and some regulatory issues in the states. There is no reason why private sector works for literally everything else but just not this one thing.

I agree it doesn’t make sense, it’s likely the USA prices are higher because of the massive bureaucracy like you suggest combined with a broken insurance industry that is bent on fucking everyone.

There’s another layer though because in Canada things like prescriptions and medical equipment rentals are disgustingly cheap because the government negotiates the prices.

Pharma in canada still makes copious amounts of money, so the prices in the USA are a straight up raping of the consumer with no regulatory oversight. Hospitals are also run differently, I feel like in Canada healthcare is more a service industry. There is no receivables and cost isn’t even discussed with patients because it’s billed elsewhere (at least in my experience so far)