A few S&C ideas

Good work, Ryno.

Thanks dudes. I'd recommend chains to anyone.. they are definitely fun.

South of Chicago???? Where exactly?

I live in decatur - between springfield and champaign.

t.

I saw him first Tim! Keep your old man hands off!

-doug-

Uhhh.. dudes? haha

I live in a shit suburb about 15-20 minutes south of Downtown Chicago.. actually I kind of switch back and forth between houses, but both are in the same general area.

Good stuff Ryno901!

Chuck

Hey Ryno,

Man, this is a GREAT thread. I *really* like what you have laid out so far - it looks *really* good. I've wondered quite a while what a WSB practitioner would do for strength-endurance (aside from what strength-endurance is gained from DE days). I'd asked over at the www.eliteFTS.com site and over at Joe DeFranco's sites (both of which are VERY good sites BTW), but couldn't ever get anybody to answer. *shrug*

If you don't mind, Ryno, after reading your posts, I've got a couple more questions I'd like to throw out your way...

1. You mentioned that you do your workouts ~3x/week. So, do you just keep in the normal WSB order and just vary the workouts per week? For example, Week 1 = ME Squat, ME Bench, DE Squat; Week 2 = DE Bench, ME Squat, ME Bench; Week 3 = DE Squat, DE Bench, ME Squat; etc.?

2. Does your rest vary between workouts? i.e. - do you try to get more days between ME days than DE days?

3. You said that your ME days were pretty much like the WSB template - so do you rest a bunch of minutes on these days (as opposed to the 20-30 seconds rest on the DE days)?

Sorry for all the questions - I just really like what you've got setup and would like to see more...

Wiggy - www.workingclassfitness.com

Damn dude you have some great workout ideals, hopefully I can put them into action in the future. BTW how long did it take you to build up your GPP to its current level? Thank You

old man hands?????

I prefer experienced! LOL

:)

t.

no - you're old. ;-)

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm just bringing this back up now so I can get to it later. I just got home from school and I have like 5 minutes to eat before I gotta run out again. I'll get back with you tonight.

Wig, I want to come up with a new way to set up ME work. Some form of density training would work better.. I think I have a few ideas.. but maybe we can collaborate and think of something that would really work well.

Wiggy,
Not sure if you got my email or not.. but if you did, just so you know -- no big deal either way. I'll probably do it eventually anyways, but I still want to do some more experimentation first. I'm going to start training someone besides myself w/ something similar so we'll see how how does. I just thought you might have some thoughts.

To answer your questions --

1. Yup. If I feel beat up, I'll skip a day and pick up where I left off. Thats one cool thing about WS.

2. I work it like this because it works best w/ my schedule, and those are the only days the dudes I train w/ grapple.

Sun - Lifting day 1, Mon - grappling, T - Lifting day 2, W - grappling, R - Lifting day 3 (am), P.M-grappling, F - OFF, Sat - OFF

3. Well, pretty much. On bench days, I'll usually do an exercise for back in between max effort sets. But I still do rest quite a bit. On squat days, I just rest.. alot when I'm really working up. But I think thats OK, I like breaking PRs.. and maximal strength is important. I do so much other conditioning work on top of grappling it also gives the body time to recover from that.

Buut.. there are other ways you can do ME work. My program is borderline PL and MMA.. but thats how I like it. You can probably set it up a little differently to carryover some more (if thats possible.).

roc, Thanks, I wish I could say it was all my idea. But I can't.. I'm just dipping into everyone elses stuff and mixing it up to make it my own. Conjugate training is the only way, brotha. Everyone should do it.

I've been training Westside for probably close to 8 months now. I started doing GPP warmups about 3 or 4 months ago, and actually started these newer 'lactic acid/conditioning' and 'strength-specific gpp' warmups just a few weeks back. But I felt like I was in good shape for it so I kind of jumped right in.. I paid for it at first. So I eased back, rearranged my split some, and now I'm doing great. Well, my bench press is stalled.. but I had to expect some dropoff w/ all the new volume.

Actually, I just had my best grappling practice yet tonight. I felt really good on the mat.. conditioned and strong. My shot sucks, and I have no subs.. but I was controlling everyone pretty well. I'll figure it out eventually.

Ryno - I got your email. I'm preparing one to send back to you - it sounds good to me!!

TTT for great info.

Ryno has mail.

Got it, man. I'm about to run to the gym now and then I have to train a couple people so I'll get back with you later.

ttt

Hey Ryno could you go into lactic acid conditioning a bit more. I've been thinking of how I could add this to my workout (as of now AA phase (squats or DL plus upper body circuit) not the best I know). Do you have any more examples of this type of conditioning, I know scrappers stuff or any bw stuff could be this. Thanks Alot

AA phase as in anatomical adaptation.. like Bompa? I don't like that guys stuff.

But anyways.. do you have mod1? You're just looking for examples? Do you have a dragging sled? Just be creative dude.. this is from my training log about a week ago. --

A1.) Medball Widestance Burpee, Dragging

A2.) MWB, Lunges (heavy bag on shoulders), 45lb Plate Throws

A3.) MWB, L, Duck Walk, Dragging

A4.) MWB, L (heavy bag on shoulders), DW, 45lb Plate Throws

LA Circuit --
Clean Grip High Pulls (off of boxes) - 1 rep every 15 seconds til 20 total.