A-hole judge ZAPS defendant at trial-case reversed

After shocking Morris the first time, the trial court again asked Morris if he would adhere to courtroom decorum:

THE COURT: Are you going to behave?

THE DEFENDANT: I’m an MHMR client.

THE DEFENDANT: I have a history of mental illness.

THE COURT: Hit him again.
(Deputy complies)

Following the second shock, the trial court repeated the same question to Morris several times over Morris’ protestations that he was under medication for mental health problems and that the trial court was “torturing” him. When Morris stated that he was firing his attorney, the trial
court apparently took Morris’ remarks as an attempt to invoke his Faretta right to self-representation. The trial court began asking Morris a question ostensibly related to the Faretta invocation, but when Morris continued to speak about other matters, the trial court persisted in making use of the stun belt:

THE DEFENDANT: I have a history of mental illness. You’re wrong for doing this.

THE DEFENDANT: You’re torturing an MHMR client. I have agoraphobia. I’m under medication.

“A stun belt, also known as a security belt, delivers a 50,000 volt electrical shock to the wearer when activated.”
Chavez v. Cocktrell, 310 F.3d 805, 807 n.1 (5th Cir. 2002).
“The stun belt offers more effective protection of courtroom security than alternative methods. Activated by the touch of a button, it can neutralize a security threat instantly and remotely.”
Hawkins v. Comparet-Cassani, 251 F.3d 1230, 1242 (9th Cir. 2001).

While the make and model of the stun belt used on Morris is not clear from the record, descriptions of various stun belts and their effects on the human body
appear scattered throughout case law and media reports.

The California Supreme Court described one version manufactured by Stun-Tech, known as the Remote
Electronically Activated Control Technology (REACT) belt, this way:

The type of stun belt which is used while a prisoner is in the courtroom consists of a four-inch-wide elastic band, which is worn underneath the prisoner’s clothing. This
band wraps around the prisoner’s waist and is secured by a Velcro fastener.

The belt is powered by two 9-volt batteries connected to prongs which are attached to the wearer over the left kidney region.. . . ‘The stun belt will deliver an eight-second, 50,000-volt electric shock if activated by a remote transmitter which is controlled by an attending officer. The shock contains enough amperage to immobilize a person temporarily and cause muscular weakness for approximately 30 to 45 minutes. The wearer is generally knocked to the ground by the shock and shakes uncontrollably. . . . [T]he belt’s metal prongs may even leave welts on the wearer’s skin requiring as long as six months to heal. An electrical jolt of this magnitude causes temporary debilitating pain and may cause some wears to suffer heartbeat irregularities or seizures.'

FULL OPINION

Holy cow at “hit him again”. That’s funny and sad at the same time. 

King Trav -

Holy cow at “hit him again”. That’s funny and sad at the same time. 

What an electrifying story.

Stunning reversal by the higher court.

Actual footage!

The judge and the deputy who controlled the belt should be arrested and charged with assault and torture. 

angryinch - 

The judge and the deputy who controlled the belt should be arrested and charged with assault and torture. 

I hope they have to at least answer for their actions.

All the guy had to do was agree to behave. His own damn fault.

angryinch - 

LOL @ "charged"

Way to throw a solid pun in there, AI.

MMA Playwright - 

Electrocuted him 3 times? Whoever wrote that is a idiot.

White347LX - 
MMA Playwright - 

e·lec·tro·cute

??lektr??kyo?ot/

verb

verb: electrocute; 3rd person present: electrocutes; past tense: electrocuted; past participle: electrocuted; gerund or present participle: electrocuting

injure or kill someone by electric shock.

White347LX - 
MMA Playwright - 

I bet you thought this was like drowning huh?

Soul Gravy - All the guy had to do was agree to behave. His own damn fault.

Are you really this fucking dumb?

BruiserBrody - 
Soul Gravy - All the guy had to do was agree to behave. His own damn fault.

Are you really this fucking dumb?

What?

Bam57Bam -

All I could think about