A Pictorial History Of Submission

That's legendary wrestling coach Ed (E. C.) Gallagher looking on.

Seen this lately?

That's Olympic silver medalist turned actor Nat Pendelton with the armbar.

Londos again....

1 Like

Yes, that's Jack Dempsey.

LOL, yeah because the fact that you posted pics of guys doing armbars and chokes means that is the style of submission Matt is learning.

Dude, he is a monster Wrestler who added Jiu Jitsu to his game. Give it up. He is a mixed grappler. Doesn't he get a lot of submission training from Horn, and doesn't Patt hold rank in BJJ as well?

thats cool stuff. I already been researching stuff like this for a couple of years. Im really interested though about the Guard. the wrestling obviously had the stuff above but Kosen judo had guard work but I cant find any real pictures of the guard explained. you got any ?????

triso

"LOL, yeah because the fact that you posted pics of guys doing armbars and chokes means that is the style of submission Matt is learning.

Dude, he is a monster Wrestler who added Jiu Jitsu to his game. "

No, I think the point is just like boxing can't say it invented the punch or TKD can't say it invented the kick then its silly for some to say Hughes used BJJ because he went for a dominant position and tried for an armbar.

I won't argue Hughes is a hell of a wrestler. But submissions are not the sole property of any single "style".

Mark

BJJ founder Mitsuyo Maeda (Count Koma) actually did some Catch Wrestling. He wrestled in several Catch tournaments in Europe and America. I believe (I could be wrong, feel free to correct me) that this is the reason why the top wristlock is called the "Americana".

You guys are missing my point.

While it is of course true that there are a shitload of depictions of submission holds and positioning throught history, Matt trains under Patt, and works very closely with Horn on submissions, both of which train BJJ correct?

Of course you see these techniques in Judo, Catch, etc., but that doesn't mean that is what Hughes was doing.

If you go by that thinking, then we are all doing either Catch, JuJitsu, or a combo of both.

LOL at the Front Chancery!

lol

photoshops imo.

The submission holds are not what makes BJJ, it's the transitions, the set ups and the training system.

wikipedia has an interesting article on Kosen Judo. read it. The history of martial arts might be different and we might well have been doing this since the 50's in the usa and chuck norris would never have made millions if it werent for ww2 and the outlawing of martial arts. Judo re emerged as a tame, throwing sport without the warrior like killing moves of breaking limbs and choking people unconscious. I want pictures of pre ww2 guard work if anyone has them or a link to them.

"BJJ founder Mitsuyo Maeda (Count Koma) actually did some Catch Wrestling. He wrestled in several Catch tournaments in Europe and America."

Actually he was involved in hundreds a wrestling matches, both shoots and works, on several different continents.

Maeda.....

This thread has nothing to do with Hughes vs Gracie. It does have to do with history........

Late 1890's, Hugh Leonard.