A Pictorial History Of Submission

love this thread.

One of the coolest things I've ever seen, in life.

Amazing.

I think I already joined this thread a while ago, but in again. Phone Post 3.0

subbed for later

5 bowls later.

CharlesLewis - 
scuffler - 

The original strangler Lewis, Evan "Strangler" Lewis.

I read years ago that he had written a book on wrestling that Ed Lewis had been influenced by. I have never again found any reference to that book despite searching high and low.

I, too searched high and low for that. There's very little about Evan anywhere, most of what I have found was from links off this site. 

It might be one of those things were you are told no copies exist today. I'm still not ready to completely give up though. Another interest of mine is local history and there was an autobiography of a famous local outlaw that there are suppose to be no complete copies surviving of, but a friend of mine has a copy tucked away in his private collection, so you never know.

resub

Good stuff! Phone Post

its always been known that BJJ came from Japanese JJ came from Chinese fighting came from...

great thread. voted up.

Amazing thread! Lately I've been trying to incorporate more catch wrestling into my jiu jitsu game, there are so many nasty joint locks that you don't learn in bjj. At my gym (10th planet Chicago!) We've got this old school catch wrestler that comes in and shows us a bunch of crazy shit. Catch as catch can is no joke! Phone Post

homieCNTRL - 

Amazing thread! Lately I've been trying to incorporate more catch wrestling into my jiu jitsu game, there are so many nasty joint locks that you don't learn in bjj. At my gym (10th planet Chicago!) We've got this old school catch wrestler that comes in and shows us a bunch of crazy shit. Catch as catch can is no joke! Phone Post

His name isnt Tony is it?

Sweet thread! Not to nitpick tho, but a lot of those pics don't really look like submissions, more like pins Phone Post

burner22 - 

Sweet thread! Not to nitpick tho, but a lot of those pics don't really look like submissions, more like pins Phone Post

In many cases catch used submissions to achieve pins. Some variations of Gotch's toeholds for instance gave the opponent two options, one roll to their back to relieve the pressure and thus be pinned or refuse to roll over and be injured.

scuffler -

I sometimes roll with a college wrestler. He does this move to me all the time. It's really a pin but I tap every time. Hurts Phone Post

scuffler -

Twister? Why Bravo why?! Phone Post

ChipW - 
scuffler -

I sometimes roll with a college wrestler. He does this move to me all the time. It's really a pin but I tap every time. Hurts Phone Post

Does look a touch uncomfortable ;)

Had this one up earier but I think it has since gone away.

MattBFD - 
scuffler -

Nice try. Slipping one in from matbattle! Phone Post 3.0

C'mon guys they're obviously just.....doing....this

sub