A question about accents.

The manager of my son's soccer team is an Italian guy who fits almost every Italian stereotype imaginable. He has a super thick Italian accent and when I asked him this morning how old he was when he immigrated to Canada he said he was born in Toronto, Canada and had never even been to Italy. 

Is it even possible to have a super thick Italian accent growing up in Canada? Is this guy faking it? 

Educate me fellas. 

You always sound most like the people you grew up with in the household. So get the gabagool outta hea and leave old pasta pants alone! Fugggeddabootit. 

ABCTT_sakurabas ear -

You always sound most like the people you grew up with in the household. So get the gabagool outta hea and leave old pasta pants alone! Fugggeddabootit. 

Is this true? One of my good buddies lived in Peru until he was 18 and his accent is minimal. My buddy Galizio was born and lived in Italy until he was in his 30's and his accent is way lighter than manager dude's. Manager dude has one of the thickest Italian accents I've heard and he's never stepped foot on the Boot. 

Im not even sure he's Italian at this point. Nothing makes sense anymore.

On another note, me and Chopper and Marc are going to a metal show tonight. We'll FaceTime you if we get naked. 

He is probably using it as a schtick to get "street" cred as a great football mind.

He probably  markets himself as teaching the "Italian Style" of football...

Suppose if they talk nothing but Italian with their families it is possible. Rare I would think though.

DELETE this shit thread.

I'm no accent Scientologist so I'm not actually sure, I pretty much wrote that whole post to use the word fuggedabootit.  

Instead of fuggedaboutit. 

Its a subtle jab at a Canadian accent, you know what I'm talking aboot?  

Have a blast tonight and give the fellas a firm assgrab from me! I'll keep my phone close in case you FaceTime!  

You can sometimes emulate the accent of people you are around a lot. I'm a White dude and my wife and her family are Mexican from South Texas and she and my friends tell me at times my voice changes when I've been around them for a while.

Siciliano di Brooklyn - DELETE this shit thread.

*Imposter alert*

this guy is probably as eye-talian as Bobby Lupo!

Siciliano di Brooklyn - DELETE this shit thread.

This guy is the Italian version of stolen valour. You should be thanking me for outing fake Wops. 

I can't explain my accent, it's a combination of hostility and confusion.

Some pretty thick Ukrainian Saskatchewan hybrid accents spoken around where I'm from by people with a few generations in Canada. 

Theres certain words that even I say that have a Ukrainian accent to them according to my wife. I don't notice it. 

RKing85 -

Suppose if they talk nothing but Italian with their families it is possible. Rare I would think though.

I'm usually not in Little Italy (Toronto) but I pass through Corso Italia fairly often and I think it's probably not that rare.

I cant really think of what the average accent would be because I just think of all the actual languages I hear daily.

It's not just Italian either, Portuguese, Spanish, etc so I'm sure I hear some woppy sounding english speaking toronto guys but they're just part of the mix to me.

We've got multi-gen families where Grandparents are only Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, whatever, Parents are maybe half home and half english and kids fluent in english with anywhere from few words to fluent in the native language.   

never done bjj with guys that have brazilian accents but have never even been to brazil?

For fucks sake SICILIANS are not WOPS!

*que Dennis Hopper