A question for the Irish UGer's

Who is a bigger star in Ireland:Tyson Fury or Conor McGregor?

Conor McGregor and it's not even close. I know Tyson has a strong connection to his Irish heritage but he's still Phone Post 3.0

Isn't Fury a gypsy who has only ever lived in England?

Googled trying to see if there is anything out there.

Found this dumb thread:

http://checkhookboxing.com/showthread.php?70089-If-Tyson-Fury-somehow-beat-Wlad-would-he-be-more-popular-than-Conor-Mcgregor-in-Ireland/page8

Sorry as I was saying, he's still a Brit as far as I know.

He still has a lot of fans here though. A few of my friends went over to Germany for the fight but he's nowhere near as popular or liked as Conor to the general Irish public. Phone Post 3.0

Lol Tyson is fucking Irish guys Jesus Christ

Chaelismyhero - Lol Tyson is fucking Irish guys Jesus Christ
What does his sexual preference have to do with this? Phone Post 3.0

Born in another country, lives in another country his entire life.

He's about as Irish as I am. Phone Post 3.0

Boxing fans here know who tyson fury is but the general public couldnt pick him out of a lineup and everyone in ireland knows who mcgregor is. The most well known boxer here is katie taylor and everyone knows here Phone Post 3.0

I didn't think he was Irish and just to double check, I looked on wiki and it says he was born in Manchester. He's lived there for most of his life too so as much as he's proud of his Irish heritage and even tried to fight for Ireland at the Olympics, he's really English.

Not that I give a fuck but there's no point of saying he's Irish when he's not. Phone Post 3.0

What made you think he was Irish anyway? When Michael Buffer called out the decision he said "And the new world champion from the UK Tyson Fury"

We'll claim him though. Him and Shane McGowan get a pass Phone Post 3.0

Chaelismyhero - Who is a bigger star in Ireland:Tyson Fury or Conor McGregor?
McGregor hands down Phone Post 3.0

Tiresias - How is the popularity of mma vs boxing in Ireland in general? Phone Post 3.0
Boxing is big in Ireland but there's a lot of younger kids now starting to turn to mma as more gyms open around the country music there a big fan base for mma in Ireland now and always has been Phone Post 3.0

Fedoral Crime -
I didn't think he was Irish and just to double check, I looked on wiki and it says he was born in Manchester. He's lived there for most of his life too so as much as he's proud of his Irish heritage and even tried to fight for Ireland at the Olympics, he's really English.

Not that I give a fuck but there's no point of saying he's Irish when he's not. Phone Post 3.0
Nah he's not really Irish although he considers himself but now that he's champion most of us will gladly claim him as one of our own lol Phone Post 3.0

Tyson is an Irish traveller. He's Irish but if you see it differently that's understandable.

From my understanding,Katie Taylor has an entire nation behind her.

I remember hearing that over 50% of Ireland watches Carl Frampton fight.

Those Irish support the hell out of their fighters which I think is pretty cool

Tiresias - How is the popularity of mma vs boxing in Ireland in general? Phone Post 3.0
Boxing is far more popular but that's mainly due to the success of our amateur boxers. It always has been really.

MMA is starting to get popular and that's solely because of Conor McGregor. Unfortunately, he's the only one anyone except the hardcores would be able to name but hopefully that will change soon.

To be honest, I think Brazil is similar in that sense. I knew loads of Brazilian people when I lived in NZ and unless a Brazilian was fighting they didn't know or even want to know who it was.

If Conor beats Aldo in a couple of weeks, it'd be huge for the growth of MMA in Ireland. Phone Post 3.0

Tyson doesn't have roots here, he's more British to all of us. But everyone knows Conor, even little kids and random teenage girls know who Conor is. No one outside of boxing fans knows who Tyson is. Phone Post 3.0

Good luck claiming to be Irish, not having an Irish accent and being accepted as one of their own. Phone Post 3.0

We don't want him in Manchester either, he's from Accrington in Lancashire. Phone Post 3.0