A Ringside Doctor's Thoughts on Diaz's Cut

Thank you Denise for taking the time to share your opinion.

I rarely bother to log in and post because of the POS that have clogged this forum up and run off fighters and various other industry figures.

Please keep posting as it is appreciated by true fans of the sport and martial arts.

IMO- Not only did it look like a good call but it may have saved Nate more eye damage and any other overall damage. If anyone was left the worse for the call, it was Jorge. Nate got to save face, has chance to recover and they can have another go, another time. The stoppage came at a point where the winner was already clear to see, no need for further damage to be taken.

3 Likes
Denise - 
IzzysAssOnya - 
Denise - Pics of what?

He's referring to the long held, codified rule of the UG. It's really the only rule this place has.

So, in the spirit of tradition and all things holy; pics of your tits or gtfo 

Why don’t you come on over to Gracie Barra Clearwater or St Pete Brazilian Jiu Jitsu during one of my classes and ask me that in person, Mr. 18er Cheeto Fingers? People like you are why I hardly ever post on this forum. This is an MMA discussion board. I’m a ringside physician and a two stripe BJJ blackbelt who’s probably old enough to be your mother, and I’m just trying to give some of my own personal insight on a discussion topic of mutual interest. So why don’t you grow up or GTFO and let the adults have a reasonable conversation?

–Denise

Excellent retort!

Welcome to the new UG. Full of…fools. (i.e. kids)

Thanks for your insight.

1 Like
ranier wolfcastle -

the president just had the doc killed \

Not worried about the doc. him and five other men in that pic are just staring at tits.

Denise - As some of you know, I'm a certified ringside physician with the FL State Athletic Commission. I know the NY ringside doctor who called the fight last night, his name is Nitin. I've seen this guy at every Association of Ringside Physicians annual meeting I've attended over the last 12 years. He's always there to learn, keep up to date, and give his own teaching lectures. Nitin is the chief medical officer for the NYSAC and was tireless in his work to get the sport of MMA legalized in NY. He is a professor at Cornell, where he did his neurology training, and heads up the concussion treatment and research clinic for the university. This guy loves MMA and is a walking encyclopedia of UFC/MMA knowledge. He respects the athletes and is fully aware of the career and financial implications his decisions might have on these men and women. He knows who Nate Diaz is and knows his history and his capabilities. Eye injuries, especially lacerations of the lids and area around the eyeball itself, are serious. If Nitin opined that it was unsafe for Nate to continue, then it was unsafe for Nate to continue. Good call.

–Denise

I appeciate your opinion.

I am inclined to agree with the ringside doctor as well.

This is why we can't have nice things

quality -

And then people wonder why pros don't want to post here.  @Brian post a picture of your baby cock with your face 

I thought I was to the point where stupidity from posters here would not surprise me. I was wrong. A ringside physician giving background of the ny doctor that stopped the fight and the first several responses was for pictures of said posters tits and ass. No wonder people who actually matter avoid this place like the plague. 

2 Likes
JonJonesBone -
Real Muthaphuckkin G -

Nice Lecture OP. You are obligated to support your cronies and wouldn't want you to say anything negative about the amazing man that is Nitin. Blau Blau Blau. 

The cut was not on his eye lid. It was above the Brow and there was no fear of eye damage. If the cut was on the lid as you stated I would agree.

The doctor wanted to be an attention whore and call the fight. If he let it go, no one knows his name. Now he will get his 15 minutes of fame, money, and opportunities all while robbing Nate Diaz of millions in future earnings.

Thanks for taking the time to defend your buddy but with all due respect and I do mean with all do respect… 

How did he rob Nate of future earnings you dumb ass. You really think the doctor wanted to stop that fight and bring a ton of unwanted negative attention to himself? He clearly felt it was needed to stop the fight and that’s why he did.

I didn’t like the stoppage, I was pissed the fight was stopped, I had a nice chunk of change on Diaz to win but that was a nasty cut and I can understand why it was stopped and can accept it without acting like a baby in your case.

Also it’s pieces of shits like you that run professionals with real insight off the board. If you disagree then voice it in a reasonable post, and have a discussion like an adult instead you act like an uneducated piece of trash throwing a fit like a baby because that’s all you know. I’m sure many people on this forum including myself would prefer someone like OP who can offer real insight and knowledge into MMA over an uneducated piece of shit such as yourself who really has nothing to offer.

He was probably hospitalized many times as a kid when he was learning to use a fork to eat with. I’ll take an actual doctors opinion over a short bus rider any day of the week 

1 Like
Dryfly - 
Denise - 
IzzysAssOnya - 
Denise - Pics of what?

He's referring to the long held, codified rule of the UG. It's really the only rule this place has.

So, in the spirit of tradition and all things holy; pics of your tits or gtfo 

Why don’t you come on over to Gracie Barra Clearwater or St Pete Brazilian Jiu Jitsu during one of my classes and ask me that in person, Mr. 18er Cheeto Fingers? People like you are why I hardly ever post on this forum. This is an MMA discussion board. I’m a ringside physician and a two stripe BJJ blackbelt who’s probably old enough to be your mother, and I’m just trying to give some of my own personal insight on a discussion topic of mutual interest. So why don’t you grow up or GTFO and let the adults have a reasonable conversation?

–Denise

Excellent retort!

Welcome to the new UG. Full of…fools. (i.e. kids)

Thanks for your insight.

appreciate the input denise. good communication goes a long way.

Lmao 

1 Like

Denise,

I am so, so sorry that you have to read some of these comments. In an ideal world we would clean this up for you real quick but alas, we have the UG instead.

Most of us respect your post and admire this sort of content that you bring. I just wished we werent overshadowed by a few loud immatures.

On behalf of those that share my sentiment, A BIG THANK YOU!

6 Likes

Pretty nasty cuts and it's not like Nate was getting better in the fight. It's almost like people won't be satisfied until Nate looks like the fire extinguisher victim in irreversible. Nate is entertaining and has plenty of time for future great fights. 

1 Like
JoeHurley -
jpm995 -

Appreciate the insite from a professional but i've seen fights that looked worse go on and everyone knows how tough Nate is. I realize its a very tough call but the importance of the fight and the fact that Nate was still fighting back and pushing foward made me want to see it go the distance. It's funny you see boxing matches where guys are literally getting killed [im thinking of the Breveort [spelled wrong] fight and nobody saved that poor guy to fights where blood stops the fight. I guess part of the problem is billing a fight as the baddest mf then stopping it on a cut.

The rules are in place to protect the fighters and they don't change just because "its an important fight", "everyone knows how tough he is" or "irs billed as baddest mf". Get out of here with that stupid shit.

It doesnt matter if the fighter wants to continue either. That's the kind of stuff that used to be allowed in sports back in the day. I remember football players getting concussions and going right back into the game because they feel fine and want to keep playing. Then years after they retire and are suffering brain damage from CTE they want to cry about how they were taken advantage of and sue the league for millions. You can't have it both ways.

So your telling me they don't give more leeeway to certain fighters based on reputation ot title considerations. Your naive if you believe this dosen't happen. Guess you never watched any Frankie Edgar fights.

4 Likes
Denise - As some of you know, I'm a certified ringside physician with the FL State Athletic Commission. I know the NY ringside doctor who called the fight last night, his name is Nitin. I've seen this guy at every Association of Ringside Physicians annual meeting I've attended over the last 12 years. He's always there to learn, keep up to date, and give his own teaching lectures. Nitin is the chief medical officer for the NYSAC and was tireless in his work to get the sport of MMA legalized in NY. He is a professor at Cornell, where he did his neurology training, and heads up the concussion treatment and research clinic for the university. This guy loves MMA and is a walking encyclopedia of UFC/MMA knowledge. He respects the athletes and is fully aware of the career and financial implications his decisions might have on these men and women. He knows who Nate Diaz is and knows his history and his capabilities. Eye injuries, especially lacerations of the lids and area around the eyeball itself, are serious. If Nitin opined that it was unsafe for Nate to continue, then it was unsafe for Nate to continue. Good call.

–Denise

Thanks for the insight!

Of course you’ll get push back from fans who can only think about themselves - “but ah wanna watch them keep fighting!”- and of course the fighters want to keep fighting. But the point is to have some cooler, unbiased heads around to make more rational decisions.

2 Likes
Denise - 
3fie - 
Denise - As some of you know, I'm a certified ringside physician with the FL State Athletic Commission. I know the NY ringside doctor who called the fight last night, his name is Nitin. I've seen this guy at every Association of Ringside Physicians annual meeting I've attended over the last 12 years. He's always there to learn, keep up to date, and give his own teaching lectures. Nitin is the chief medical officer for the NYSAC and was tireless in his work to get the sport of MMA legalized in NY. He is a professor at Cornell, where he did his neurology training, and heads up the concussion treatment and research clinic for the university. This guy loves MMA and is a walking encyclopedia of UFC/MMA knowledge. He respects the athletes and is fully aware of the career and financial implications his decisions might have on these men and women. He knows who Nate Diaz is and knows his history and his capabilities. Eye injuries, especially lacerations of the lids and area around the eyeball itself, are serious. If Nitin opined that it was unsafe for Nate to continue, then it was unsafe for Nate to continue. Good call.

–Denise

Thanks for the insight, key is the doc knows Nate which is always critical in that they would know the punishment he can take etc. Two questions:

1. Does someone have to call the doctor in to take a look or can the doctor enter the cage on his own after viewing say footage or real time damage. In this case did the ref hail for the doctor, or an official in the ring at the break or someone else?

2. Can the fighters sign a waiver to disallow doctor stoppages at an event, or the promotion sign off on not having a doctor stoppage.  For this particular fight and the nature or title of it, could there have been anyway to avoid a doctor’s stoppage?

1. In most states (the laws differ somewhat) the ref has to ask the dr to enter the ring, the physician doesn’t have the right to enter the ring or even stop the fight. That being said, we all work together to protect the fighters; if I’m concerned about something, all I need to do is catch the ref’s eye, and he’ll wave me in at an appropriate time. Also, most refs are not going to go against a dr’s recommendations to stop a fight, even tho they technically could.

2.No. We have to protect the fighters from themselves, most would keep fighting until they died, and the promotors…well, at times, the fighter’s best interests can take a back seat to the promotor making money, so that wouldn’t be a good idea. Many of the busier fight states (CA, NE, FL, NY, NJ) assign their better/more experienced doctors to work important fights or main events. It is taken into consideration as to how well a specific doctor knows the sport and the particular fighters. Speaking for myself, I would let a skilled veteran fighter in an important fight (eg, Diaz, Thurman) go on longer than I would a kid in a debut on the undercard. Most of the more experienced docs would do the same.

–Denise

Thank you Denise for yor input. You wrote:

"Speaking for myself, I would let a skilled veteran fighter in an important fight (eg, Diaz, Thurman) go on longer than I would a kid in a debut on the undercard. Most of the more experienced docs would do the same."

Why? On the surface it could be seen as fighter safety being seen as less important when bigger business is on the line. Please clarify.

1 Like

Thank you for providing us with your insight and answering some questions. Hope you won't be put off further contributions. (Posts like this make this place great...again)

The eyelid was compromised so it was a justified stoppage on a technicality.

1 Like
FrontBroRian -
quality - 

And then people wonder why pros don't want to post here.  @Brian post a picture of your baby cock with your face 

Sure …that’s against tos but what’s your email. I’ll send you several

Cut out the pinky on a glove and cover it with that, it will be extremely baggy and tons of left over space but that will make the pics UG legal.  Let’s go, get those pictures up.

Wow, FrontBroRian really made a douche out of himself.

ReffsRammedMeInMyAnus -

Trolls are assholes and dumbasses at the same time

but I also feel like it's unrealistic to expect them to stop or to even blame them for lack of pros on the site

Sherdog is moderated way tougher, and has just as many(meaning very few) professionals posting on their site. 

The lack of moderation and and the resulting carefree atmosphere is what many of us love about this place

Of course brofrontrian or whatever the fuck his name is, is a douche but we shouldn't pretend it's trolls that drove away pro fighters. I'm pretty sure that was Twitter

Dumbasses driving away pro fighters, etc predates twitter.

As for Sherdog I don't think many pro fighters ever posted there.