A Study in Accuracy: Cecil Peoples Vs. The Rules

Cecil is, at the very least, consistent. Some of his scoring in the past has made me think "holy shit was he watching the same fight?" But it seems as if he has a pretty good grasp on what happened in this fight as it compares to the rules.

ttt

Threads like this are a big part of what I love about the UG.

I've said this before on other threads, but Shogun's 'takedown attempts' were not just for taking Machida down.  It seemed pretty clear that he was using them to back Machida into the cage so he could clinch, wear on his legs by leaning on them and kneeing them.  So machida gets the credit for the td defense which is great for octagon control.  However, Shogun should get the credit for the effectiveness of his aggression, pinning Machida against the cage, and landing effective strikes to the legs which helped take Machida out of his gameplan.  That is effective aggression and effective striking which far outweighs octagon control.

2 things.

1) I would be MUCH more worried if Abe Belardo judged one of my fights then Cecil.

2) Cecil is a very nice guy, who loves our sport. He may or may not be doing a good job, but he cares, and he is trying.

Machida tried several trip takedowns as well which Shogun defended.

I doubt any of the judges had the awareness to judge them as such though.

I just feel bad for him, thats all. I didnt say he is a great judge

ocbadapple - I just feel bad for him, thats all. I didnt say he is a great judge

It's a shame he's catching all the heat. The other judges scored the fight the same they were just too chickenshit to come out and defend their decision.

It's not a shame he is catching all the heat, he deserves every bit of it and is worthless. All 3 of those judges are morons with Cecil being the biggest.

tumn - It's not a shame he is catching all the heat, he deserves every bit of it and is worthless. All 3 of those judges are morons with Cecil being the biggest.

At least Cecil acted like a man about it. Instead of the other 2 hiding and hoping no one remembers their names and holds them accountable.

When these people get chosen as MMA judges is there some type of test they have to take?

Like is there a class they take on how to judge?

They take a bunch of peopel show them a fight and then have them score it with different scenarios. Then go back to see how they scored it and what was right and what was wrong?

Boxing judges should not be allowed to judge MMA and vice versa.

Good question, but there's little substitute for first hand experience. Someone who had taken a leg kick from my MT instructor, or Shogun, or anyone with a sufficient level of skill with them would not have devalued them to the extent that they frequently are by judges (not just Cecil).

But cecil is a 32nd degree Ronald McDonald black belt!!! He knows the technicalities of McStriking.

ajsr - But cecil is a Ronald McDonald black belt!!! He knows the technicalities of McStriking.

This kind of fighter bashing is unacceptable. 

Squared Circle - 
ajsr - But cecil is a Ronald McDonald black belt!!! He knows the technicalities of McStriking.

This kind of fighter bashing is unacceptable. 
I agree. Ronald should be incenced that anyone named Cecil as a disciple of his. 

Zedlepln - 

Good question, but there's little substitute for first hand experience. Someone who had taken a leg kick from my MT instructor, or Shogun, or anyone with a sufficient level of skill with them would not have devalued them to the extent that they frequently are by judges (not just Cecil).

yup agreed.

I said the same thing in the other thread. If Cecil had ever been leg kicked he would know that its just not something you can write off.

Judges should have first hand knowledge plus the theory of rules down to the line in the rule book.

Having just one of those 2 is not acceptable.

for laters

D_S_A - At least Cecil acted like a man about it. Instead of the other 2 hiding and hoping no one remembers their names and holds them accountable.

No way they can hide. Let's bash Nelson Hamilton and Marcos Rosales!

I'm still amazed your write under that byline and nobody else gets the Susie Hinton reference.

Uncle Justice - Avoiding/resisting takedown attempts is not even COVERED under "effective grappling".  How the hell can it be correct?  LOL

(f) Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active, threatening guard.

Okay, so if its judged based on "successful executions of legal takedowns"....and there ARENT any (because you can't take me down) you're saying that NO ONE utilized effective grappling?

I disagree.

If you can't take me down, I am the better grappler and I should be rewarded on the score cards as such. My effective grappling (read as: defending takedowns) allows me to continue to control the octagon, too.

blue63 - This article points out everything wrong with using these piss poor boxing judges who know little to nothing about the sport theyre judging or the rules of said sport.

The judging system for American MMA is long due for a vast overhaul, but I'm sure Keith Kizer will be in here shortly making snide remarks saying that current judging is sufficient and that thousands of diehard fans have no idea what they're talking about.

The real problem is people who've NEVER judged a fight acting as if they somehow know more than an actual judge. That's what it comes down to.