ab season

It is that time of the year when a bunch of people come to me and tell me they need to get that midsection ready for the beach. Maybe they should have started getting ready for the beach about this time last year. Anyways, refer to "Ab Season" at www.maxcondition.com to get a general idea of some tips addressing this issue.

thank you
Coach Hale
www.maxcondition.com
www.torqueathletic.com

can't find it?

Ab Training Season

Why are 'Hanging leg raises or knee raises are a poor abdominal movement'?

the prime movers in hanging leg raises are the hip flexors. Great exercise, but is usually performed with little trunk flexion. To really recruit rectus abdominus perform them such as in a pike manner, while bringing the legs up to the bar you are hanging from.

thank you
coach hale
www.maxcondition.com

Okay, that's how I usually do them, thanks. I was on your web-site today, there are a lot of good articles. I enjoy your writing style and all the information as well.

Good article.

Koing

thanks guys.

coach hale

ttt 4 later

You mention slow repetitions being safer, but what about the overwhelming need for rapid/plyometric trunk work? In my mind, this sort of work is probably most needed of all abdominal work for athletic endeavors.

Granted, the article was based on aesthetics, but i'd like to know your thoughts on this, since it seems contradictory to common sense.

vermonter,

You are correct the article was geared toward physique.

Working in an explosive manner is completely necessary for athletics. Examples would be speed full range hanging leg raises, ab throwdowns, sledge work, various forms of mb work, full stretch stability ball crunches etc...

Thanks for pointing that out.

thank you
Coach Hale
www.maxcondition.com

Yup, just wondering your thoughts. You may want to update the part of the article about slower being safer? I'm just wondering what that means in an athletic context.

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully you can post more often here.

-doug-