About Luke in The Last Jedi ...

I did NOT like that they killed him off. After Han died in the previous movie, I said, ok, if they do the same with Luke, I might just walk out of the theater. Kind of joking, but whatever.

To me, Star Wars is a story, my favorite childhood story, about Luke Skywalker. He's the hero, he beats the bad guys, he overcomes trouble and he DOESN'T DIE. The whole point is ruined.

It's like the new directors think they have to be "edgy" or something by those killings. The original films didn't ever kill a LEAD hero. Obi wan, Yoda and Darth Vader all died and that was sad, but none of them were one of the lead heroes.

The new directors don't understand that kids today just go back from the film (perhaps sad that Luke died) and go play computer games, but older people who grew up with those films should really be the ones they should cater to. If they'd do that, both the old and the young would love these new films. The first half of the film was nearly PERFECT, but because of Luke Skywalker dying, I remembered some other things in the movie that bugged me slightly and now those things are bugging me even more. The SJW things f.ex.

That film wasn't true to Star Wars. Perhaps someone can convince me otherwise. Star Wars isn't a story about lots of people in space, it's the story of Luke Skywalker, the hero we all want to be. Now get the fuck off my lawn.

I think we older fans are finding out that Star Wars isn't what we thought it was. This movie was far closer to EP1 than the original trilogy. Oh well.

"I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character," he said to the director.

- Mark Hamill

Seems like typical SJW nonsense.

They take something that a vast majority of white male fans love, and kills them off in pointless ways, or make them useless or evil.

Then they shove their SJW "heroes" down your throat, and preach their agenda.

It's a very common theme whenever you put one of them in charge. Look at the many Marvel titles.

So far the Marvel movies haven't gone that way YET. But the next arc, who knows?

Disney buying over all these great franchises may not have been such a great idea after all, if they are going to put SJWs in charge

Ben died. Yoda died. Annakin died. Old force users die in SW. Tough shit.

Sagiv Lapkin - 

"I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character," he said to the director.

- Mark Hamill

Ryan Johnson is a competent director.  I think both him and JJ Abrams were rendered impotent by micromanaging Disney execs.  Probably had a non disclosure agreement that prevented them from bitching about it as well.

Strandman - I think we older fans are finding out that Star Wars isn't what we thought it was. This movie was far closer to EP1 than the original trilogy. Oh well.

+1

it was as if the director for the Last Jedi used Lucas's horrible prequels as his inspiration for this film. Countless (pointless) small branches in the plot and the return of cute/fuzzy creatures... unreal. This movie was a big step backwards from the Force Awakens and Rogue One.

I didn't see it.  Haven't seen it and won't see it.  But I don't know what compelled you guys to see it...

evil veiled -

I didn't see it.  Haven't seen it and won't see it.  But I don't know what compelled you guys to see it...

Yeah, whatever would compel us to watch the new Star Wars movie? We must be in the minority... oh what’s that? It made $450 million this weekend to become the second highest opening for a movie ever only behind The Force Awakens? Gee, I wonder what would ever compel so many people to watch this movie? Oh ya that’s right, because it’s fucking Star Wars.

NerveBlock -

There was absolutely zero reason for him to die. Besides exerting himself a lot, he was in no danger. Utterly pointless, lazy and weak writing. 

Zero reason? He provides the last of the Resistence a distraction so they can board the Millenium Falcon and escape and makes Kylo look like a fool infront of everybody in the process. He’ll become a force ghost like Obi Wan and Yoda. Everyone whining about Luke dying like it’s the first time a master Jedi has ever died in Star Wars. Try watching the movies again.

NerveBlock - 

There was absolutely zero reason for him to die. Besides exerting himself a lot, he was in no danger. Utterly pointless, lazy and weak writing. 

I think they were trying to figure out a way to kill him off without it being Kylo (Kylo would have killed both Luke AND Han then) and working in the parameters of an old, out of shape Mark Hammill who isn't going to be doing any crazy choreographed lightsaber scenes, and trying to give him some kind of "noble sacrifice" death like Obi Wan had.

I don't think they really succeeded. Think this way pissed off the fanbase more than if he had died to Snoke after a battle or something of that nature.

I actually DID expect him to die in a sacrificial kind of way to allow the others to escape, so I wasn't surprised by that angle. And I did think the force projection was pretty bad ass, and him becoming "one with the force" at the end was somewhat fitting.

But still didn't like how he died.

NerveBlock - 
PaynanDiaz -
NerveBlock -

Zero reason? He provides the last of the Resistence a distraction so they can board the Millenium Falcon and escape and makes Kylo look like a fool infront of everybody in the process. He’ll become a force ghost like Obi Wan and Yoda. Everyone whining about Luke dying like it’s the first time a master Jedi has ever died in Star Wars. Try watching the movies again.

I mean nothing killed him. His actions helped saved everyone but why did he die? Over exertion? He was literally light years away from everyone safe from any harm. His actions could have saved everyone and it not killed him. 

We've never seen anyone use the force in that regard.

I think they were trying to show that it took so much exertion that his life force sort of slipped away/became one with the force.

BarkLikeADog - Ben died. Yoda died. Annakin died. Old force users die in SW. Tough shit.

None of those are one of the main heroes. Most important of which are Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. If you're gonna go Game of Thrones on us and be edgy and kill the main heroes, why not flash boobs every half an hour?

I didn't mind Luke dying, It was they way he died that bothered me. Weak to kill a character that's been around 40 years in that way. Him projecting himself there to save them was cool, but then to just evaporate was stupid as hell.

Becoming one with the force isn't really dying.

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

He was, when saying that to Vader, referring to becoming one with the force, etc.

And besides, we'll get Force Ghost Luke now...

NerveBlock -
giblert mendelez -

I didn't mind Luke dying, It was they way he died that bothered me. Weak to kill a character that's been around 40 years in that way. Him projecting himself there to save them was cool, but then to just evaporate was stupid as hell.

Agreed. Luke is one of the most famous characters in film history. Harrison ford wanted to be killed off and it advanced Kylo’s storyline so his death makes sense. Carrie Fischer died IRL so her death would have made sense. Mark hammil is alive and well and has a great love of the character and the franchise. He would have been more than willing to play a huge role in the final movie. It made absolutely zero sense to kill off the character. Now the final movie will feature only new characters, more than one of which are utterly pointless. 

The story is not about Luke anymore. It hasn't been since the originals. What don't people get?

He's not the LEAD anymore

Yomarashi -
NerveBlock -
giblert mendelez -

Agreed. Luke is one of the most famous characters in film history. Harrison ford wanted to be killed off and it advanced Kylo’s storyline so his death makes sense. Carrie Fischer died IRL so her death would have made sense. Mark hammil is alive and well and has a great love of the character and the franchise. He would have been more than willing to play a huge role in the final movie. It made absolutely zero sense to kill off the character. Now the final movie will feature only new characters, more than one of which are utterly pointless. 

The story is not about Luke anymore. It hasn't been since the originals. What don't people get?

He's not the LEAD anymore

I thought this was still the skywalker saga?

Didn't quote that post on purpose

i understand why he has to die.  I thought it was an excellent death

Hans death was total garbage 

Politically Incorrect -
BigEyedFish -

i understand why he has to die.  I thought it was an excellent death

Hans death was total garbage 

The most powerful Jedi in history dying from being tired while still being young for a Jedi is not an acceptable death. 

If he got double teamed by Kylo and Snoke and was overwhelmed, that’s fine. 

But using the force too hard and dying is fucking silly, what a cop out. It’s like they had the script finished and realized they had forgotten to include Luke’s death. 

Agreed. I blame mark hamills poor physical shape though. He couldn’t do much