About Machida - Don't Panic.

I fully expected this.

I knew that as soon as I logged on to the UG after Lyoto's dismantling of Rashad, it would be a mess.

People are now heralding the return of Classical martial arts and dubbing this the revenge of Karate. That we have been wasting our time training in the proven functional arts of BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing and Muay Thai and we should go work on our horse stances.

But nothing has really changed.

In all the training footage and photographs of Lyoto, he is sparring with boxing gloves, shin guards and sparring full contact. He's not in a horse stance or working One Step sparring (jiyu ippon kumite). He is in there banging on heads, covering and withdrawing like everyone else has to, just with his own particular flavor.

Now, is what he's doing in the ring interesting and something we haven't seen executed on a high level in the UFC? Yes, very much. But he's still working the same types of techniques as the rest of us.

For example even with all of his technical savvy, when the chips were down and he had Rashad hurt, what did he rely on to finish him?

...With 'wind-the-right-hook-up-from-behind-your-ass' Tank-Abbott style punches. Continuous right and left haymakers.

Nothing has changed all that much. Lyoto isn't doing anything all that different, he's still training on the ground and in standup against resisting opponents. The MMA world has got a bit deeper, just like it did with the rise of wrestlers, Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo and now, just maybe, Karate.

They are just flavors on top of the same functional basics you see in the ring.

All trained alive against resisting opponents.

So don't panic. This is good for the sport and evolution of fighting as a whole.

stop trollin those punches were 100% karate setup by 100% karate kicks. Lightning fast too I might add. His karate was so damn good Rashad got scared to shoot.

HexRei - i think it has more to do with the martial tradition he was raised in than the technical aspects of karate. he has budo and has been fighting to avoid getting hurt since he was a child- all he had to do was slowy ramp up his aggressiveness and now we have a fighter who is practically impossible to damage but has strong finishing capability.

Anyone can see that he fights at a very high level, but he didn't get this way in a vacuum. He didn't just train Karate and walk out of a small town and start dominating.

He worked with very good wrestlers at R1. He's worked with very good Muay Thai fighters like Anderson Silva. He's trained with a team of fighters who aren't Karate fighters and he didn't get his black belt in BJJ without putting in his time on the mat.

What makes his style different than 99.999% of the other Karate fighters is his alive training methods and learning and sparring with and against a multitude of styles.

Look at that wide stance.  Look at his face yelling "Hiya" with each strike. Straight out of the textbook.

Sorry about all that time you wasted on brazilian judo or whatever.

His striking is distinctly Karate.

It's no surprise that people say it looks like boxing or any other striking martial art.

The reason for that- Throwing a punch has pretty basic mechanics.

Actually the last shot that put him out was a "Reverse Punch"  watch the gif.

Tom O Bedlam -  His striking is distinctly Karate.

It's no surprise that people say it looks like boxing or any other striking martial art.

The reason for that- Throwing a punch has pretty basic mechanics.

My point exactly. Also at the heart of it, what do we see Lyoto doing when he's training? Hitting Thai pads, wearing boxing gloves and shin guards, sparring kickboxing style for his standup.

We don't see him doing one or two step sparring.

Kai Tremeche - We don't see him doing one or two step sparring.

There you have it folks; Machida doesn't use Shotokan, never has.

imanari fan - 
Kai Tremeche - We don't see him doing one or two step sparring.

There you have it folks; Machida doesn't use Shotokan, never has.

Oversimplification and not at all the point I am making. Please try again.

hitting pads, wearing gloves and shin pads, sparring... they do all that in karate too. Incredible, huh?

He also wears board shorts

He also wears sneakers and does road work

He also does weight training free free weights

He also has a plyometric trainer

He also has a nutrionist and strength coach!

That's not karate!!!!!

sand in vagina

He wears a T-shirt with patches!!!! that's not karate!!!`

hubris - He also wears board shorts

He also wears sneakers and does road work

He also does weight training free free weights

He also has a plyometric trainer

He also has a nutrionist and strength coach!

That's not karate!!!!!

sand in vagina

It can't be!

Good stuff, people. Keep it up.

So, what's the Tank Abbott right hook called in Karate again?

It's about the training methods and methodology that I'm emphasizing. If what Machida is doing is par-for-the-course for Shotokan Karate, why haven't we seen anyone else even perform well at the D level of Pro MMA with it?

As it's been said before: 'You take Japanese Jujitsu and train it in an Alive manner, it will look a lot like BJJ.'

The method makes all the difference and sets him apart from the rest of his art.

I saw him doing a bench press

WTF???

The trolling in response to this thread is impressive.

hubris - I saw him doing a bench press

WTF???

How much was he's putting up. Without exact numbers we can't rank him pfp.

Thanks JF.

Unfortunately, it's not physically possible to throw straight punches when you're 3 inches away from your opponent. That's why Jesus invented "hooks," and I'm pretty sure karatekas are as capable of bending their elbows as the rest of us.

It's also helpful that Lyoto has filled in the gaps of pure Shotokan with techniques from other styles. Hence Machida-do Karate.

Its like throwing side arm in baseball, a few guys were able to pull it off but not many. Don't go join a karate school.