About to ask for a raise, question first.

I plan on asking for a raise soon. I know what I'm going to say but I think I know their objection. I need some of the OG wisdom.

I plan on saying basically, "I was hired to do X, at the pay Y. Since then my duties have increased by A (listing the new things I do), so I would like a raise to Z."

I think their reply well be "You were actually overpaid at Y. The increase in duties is to normalize that."

I know this is BS. How should I respond to strengthen my case for a raise? I already have the info from glassdoor showing I should be paid more for my position. What else can I do?

Thanks bros! Phone Post 3.0

That should be justification enough.

If they balk, start sending out resumes.

Mark Phone Post 3.0

lol @ "you were overpaid".  Fuck that shit. If they try to play that, do as Mark says and prep the resume

Yep,

The best way to ask for a raise is to get a job offer letter from somewhere else. This is because most places now would rather higher a new guy for cheaper and fuck him over until he realizes it.

Employers will fire you and say it isn't personal. If you move on to a better job, they act like you murdered their entire family.

DaveFu - Yep,

The best way to ask for a raise is to get a job offer letter from somewhere else. This is because most places now would rather higher a new guy for cheaper and fuck him over until he realizes it.

Employers will fire you and say it isn't personal. If you move on to a better job, they act like you murdered their entire family.
Don't use another offer as leverage

Mark Phone Post 3.0

Yeah I didn't mean to overtly use it. I meant to have an immediate back up plan, because they could greenlight you for termination.

Mark1 - 
DaveFu - Yep,

Don't use another offer as leverage

Mark Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, from what I have heard that usually doesn't end well.

If you are going to jump ship then do it.

Mencken -

lol @ "you were overpaid".  Fuck that shit. If they try to play that, do as Mark says and prep the resume

Huh, I got this once. Still work same job. Phone Post 3.0

quarcus - 
Mencken -

Huh, I got this once. Still work same job. Phone Post 3.0

What was your response to it?

IMO one of the worst things you can do is to call out a number you want to be paid. If this a career-type job (ie not fast food or retail), I would ask about the growth potential with the company, etc. You want to give the impression that you want to grow your responsibilities within the company, which goes hand in hand with more dollars. Phone Post 3.0

thrown_away92 - IMO one of the worst things you can do is to call out a number you want to be paid. If this a career-type job (ie not fast food or retail), I would ask about the growth potential with the company, etc. You want to give the impression that you want to grow your responsibilities within the company, which goes hand in hand with more dollars. Phone Post 3.0
Very smart response. I've done this successfully multiple times before. Phone Post 3.0

thrown_away92 - IMO one of the worst things you can do is to call out a number you want to be paid. If this a career-type job (ie not fast food or retail), I would ask about the growth potential with the company, etc. You want to give the impression that you want to grow your responsibilities within the company, which goes hand in hand with more dollars. Phone Post 3.0

So you just tell them you want to grow with the company and you want your salary to grow as well?

Ttt for the evening shift. Phone Post 3.0

The way you wrote that statement you always refer to them or they, I'm not sure why this is exactly.

Do you have more than one boss?

Do you plan on just going into HR to talk to them?

I guess my point is that you should have already had a conversation with you boss whether it is one person or several. Generally going in and asking for a raise is not as effective as talking with you boss about what you want to do to improve and what he wants you to do, and to set benchmarks you both agree to and the compensation for hitting those marks.

I think something like "I was hired to do X, at the pay Y. Since then my duties have increased by A (listing the new things I do), so I would like know what you would like me to do to hit goal A (money or title or both)."

Do not think you will walk out with a raise but you should walk out with a plan for getting your raise, and if they fuck you over then you can resume shop all day long.

Update? Phone Post 3.0

Mark1 - That should be justification enough.

If they balk, start sending out resumes.

Mark Phone Post 3.0

This. Just thank them for their time and start looking for your next gig.

In for response Phone Post 3.0

DOODE -
thrown_away92 - IMO one of the worst things you can do is to call out a number you want to be paid. If this a career-type job (ie not fast food or retail), I would ask about the growth potential with the company, etc. You want to give the impression that you want to grow your responsibilities within the company, which goes hand in hand with more dollars. Phone Post 3.0

So you just tell them you want to grow with the company and you want your salary to grow as well?

Don't explicitly mention the compensation. It's generally understood that an increase in responsibilities results in an increase in pay. When you bring it up as "I want to do more to better myself and the company" it shows initiative and drive, and also that money isn't your primary motivator. Phone Post 3.0

Good shit mane :-) Phone Post

Number one is to make sure you have a backup. No point in getting into negotiations if you don't have anything to fall back on should they disagree. It's much more difficult/expensive for them to recruit a new person to replace you unless you're not doing your job right. If they know you don't have a backup then that power is gone.

Present your boss with this:

1. Industry benchmark. Figure out the compensation range for your job in the same area. Get both salary and consultant (hourly) figures. Make sure you consider the benefits (vacation, bonus, medical) that your company offers compared to the average.

2. Your credentials I.e. schooling, certificates, etc.

3. State everything that you currently do at your job. You'd be surprised at how little your boss knows about your day-to-day duties.

4. State your accomplishments at your company and how you're saving them money (time).

5. Don't get emotional and don't expect an answer right away. Tell your boss to think about it and schedule a meeting 1 week later. No one will ever push to follow up if it means paying money. Therefore you have to.

Good luck Phone Post