About to be offered a promotion - need salary help

So I have gradually worked my way up at my current company. I was looking at leaving, but a new position opened up that I wasn't really qualified for, and I told them I was interested. I went through the process along with some external candidates and was able to sell myself despite the lack of qualifications. Well today, I went to go meet with the client that I would be working for, and everything went perfectly. I am expecting to get offered the job in the next couple of days.

I know that if I am the person that they pick that I should have some leverage for salary. I already have tons of vacation time and get to work from home some but need some advice on salary negotiations. I have basically taken whatever raises they gave me in the past but want to make sure I get what I can get without coming across terribly greedy.

Any advice?

If I knew I wasn't qualified for the job, I would keep a low profile so when the day comes that my incompetence comes to light, I could honestly say I didn't ask for a dime & throw 100% of the blame on the guy that put me in the wrong spot in the first place. That way I'd at least have some leverage to move to some other spot rather than be fired outright.

Beyond that, there are a lot of websites (mostly job search) where you can plug in the position & location & see what others make.

If you're not qualified for the job, you really have no leverage in negotiations. Take what they offer and keep your mouth shut before they figure out that they can get someone more qualified.

Basically, I'm not "qualified" because I will be managing people and have no experience with that. I believe that I can do that but I haven't in the past. What's the best website for those types of things?

SteelyRes211 - If you're not qualified for the job, you really have no leverage in negotiations. Take what they offer and keep your mouth shut before they figure out that they can get someone more qualified.

Even though I may not be qualified, they think I can do the job (and so do I), and the client thinks I can do it. They are all on board with hiring me, so it wouldn't look good for my company to not give me the position because of salary. Like I said, I have never had a money problem with them before. I have taken any raise and been fine with it. I just want to make sure I don't blow a chance here.

Awesome. Feeling great about getting that big raise now.

dabigchet - it doesn't sound like you have much leverage at all. if you haven't managed people before, you have a great opportunity to increase your value for the rest of your career no matter where you work.

know what you expect in terms of raise to go along with your promotion. (probably 5-10%). do not try to weasel in an extra few percentage points above what is offered. people don't forget that shit.

This.

Not sure about the size of your company, but in the places I have worked there are HR guidelines and internal policies that dictate the salary range for all positions.

So for a management position the salary range could be between $50k - $75k. How much they offer a candidate varies based on how desperate they are to fill the position, the candidate pool/market, and the experience of the candidate.

In your case, unfortunately, they know exactly how much you currently make and how under-qualified you are, so you have zero leverage negotiating salary. They are essentially taking a chance on you (which shows how highly they think of you) but they're not likely to put you anywhere near the top of the guide.

Assuming they give you a little bump and don't throw you to the wolves and let you fail at the new gig I think you should take the job. If nothing else it's an immediate boost for your resume.

Thanks for the input everyone. It's a small company that I work for. We only have about 60 employees, but the client I work for is a $4 billion client. The good news for me is that the client is concerned about turnover as someone left from the team shortly before the person left that I am replacing. If they want me, my company has to promote me. That's the one thing I have going for me.

I'm hoping for the best but really have no idea what to expect. My last promotion landed me a 25% raise. That's why I took it without complaining. This promotion would be a TON more work, so I was hoping for something more than my previous raise, but we'll see.

Bumping in case anyone wants to offer any negotiating advice before a possible meeting tomorrow.

I always go into the salary talk with an idea of what number I want. If the number is lower I ask "Is there room to negotiate?". If there is room they will counter with "How much were you looking for?" or something along those lines. If not, I don't push it any further, just give my sincere-sounding thanks and take my shitty raise.

If they are willing/able to negotiate, this is where preparation will come a long way; make sure you know how much this position generally pays and also try to get an idea of what a typical raise would be for someone going from your position (or similar) to the new position.

My company uses a pay grade system so this part is easy. If I apply for a grade 8 I can get an idea of what an 8 makes and based on what they offer me I'll know if they are offering a low-end 8 or mid-level 8. Then I can come back with a higher figure but still within the range. Phone Post 3.0

TTT for feedback from the meeting.

billyball2 - TTT for feedback from the meeting.

Boss is out today...and I'm out all next week, so I'm hoping I get it taken care of tomorrow.

acid_flashback - I always go into the salary talk with an idea of what number I want. If the number is lower I ask "Is there room to negotiate?". If there is room they will counter with "How much were you looking for?" or something along those lines. If not, I don't push it any further, just give my sincere-sounding thanks and take my shitty raise.

If they are willing/able to negotiate, this is where preparation will come a long way; make sure you know how much this position generally pays and also try to get an idea of what a typical raise would be for someone going from your position (or similar) to the new position.

My company uses a pay grade system so this part is easy. If I apply for a grade 8 I can get an idea of what an 8 makes and based on what they offer me I'll know if they are offering a low-end 8 or mid-level 8. Then I can come back with a higher figure but still within the range. Phone Post 3.0

Voted up. Thanks for the tips.

aarondramp - 
billyball2 - TTT for feedback from the meeting.

Boss is out today...and I'm out all next week, so I'm hoping I get it taken care of tomorrow.

Doh.

I hate when things like that happen.

I hope they don't say "Oh we'll just put it off a week until you get back".

Well, I was offered the promotion, and it comes with a 10% raise initially and then another 10% after 2 months. They are also going to pay for a management class for me to attend. I am obviously excited. 

I am going to receive the formal offer from HR next week, so that gives me time to do a little research and ask around to see if there is any negotiating room at all. Even if I take what they offered, I'm grateful just for the chance to prove myself and to be able to add this to my experience.

I will update next week once it's all done.

aarondramp - 

Well, I was offered the promotion, and it comes with a 10% raise initially and then another 10% after 2 months. They are also going to pay for a management class for me to attend. I am obviously excited. 

I am going to receive the formal offer from HR next week, so that gives me time to do a little research and ask around to see if there is any negotiating room at all. Even if I take what they offered, I'm grateful just for the chance to prove myself and to be able to add this to my experience.

I will update next week once it's all done.

Good for you.

20% raise sounds great.

Take the management course seriously and do a great job.

After a year they'll likely bump you again to keep your salary competitive.