About to donate blood. AMA

Yeah.. I'm gonna pass the duck out.. Phone Post 3.0

First time I did it the attendant came over while I was on the table and I thought I'd make small talk. Said "this is the first time I've done this, wasn't sure what to expect."

She looked me dead in the eye and said "How old are you? And this is the FIRST time?" Then she silently continued hooking me up.

Bitch almost ruined my charity high for the day.

Blood type?

ptper - First time I did it the attendant came over while I was on the table and I thought I'd make small talk. Said "this is the first time I've done this, wasn't sure what to expect."

She looked me dead in the eye and said "How old are you? And this is the FIRST time?" Then she silently continued hooking me up.

Bitch almost ruined my charity high for the day.
Lol what an ass. Phone Post 3.0

6ULDV8 -

Blood type?

O, something. I don't remember if it's negative or positive. Phone Post 3.0

I'm O+, every other positive can take it.

If you're O-, you're a universal donor.  Every person can take O-.

Give till it hurts!  Plus afterward you get drunk cheap.

Win Win

Mutants thread about his wife getting transfusions inspired me to donate. Phone Post 3.0

CAT DAMMIT - Mutants thread about his wife getting transfusions inspired me to donate. Phone Post 3.0
Aka: King Heisenberg Phone Post 3.0

I donate as often as I can. I think its every 45 days or something, I forget. They call me like a crazed telemarketer whenever I am eligible again.

the policy is dumb though. they only take a pint. doesn't matter if you are 80lbs or 6'8" 420lbs.

I'm 6'1" 230lbs, they could take more. I don't even get remotely light headed. Last time, I went to the gym right after. felt no different.

TBH, the main reason I donate is because I have high hematocrit so it's very good for my health (and why I want them to take more). Surprisingly, it made me feel good about the process and thinking I might help someone's mom or kid in the process of helping myself.

one time, they f'd up when they called me. the girl says, we'd like to thank you for your attempt to donate blood on such and such a date. I said, what do you mean my attempt? You took blood out of my arm and I saw it in the baggie. She then tells me that my blood wasn't used. Now, they supposedly test all the blood and are supposed to call you to tell you if there is any reason why they can't use your blood (aides, hep etc..) So this person had no answer for me so I started freaking out. after talking to her supervisor, they had to admit that my blood donation was left on the floor of a closet at the red cross for too long and it had to be discarded. WTF, right! Glad I don't have the aids but what kind of irresponsible shit is that??

another time, the red cross place I was at lost power just as the girl was sticking me. they had some people hooked up to machines because they were donating more than blood (platelets I think). they told me the machine basically takes a bunch of blood from the person, takes some parts out and then pumps the remaining blood back in the person.
the place had NO generator! they were freaking out and talking on cell phones to other red cross places getting directions for how to get the blood back in manually!
this was an actual red cross facility, not a blood drive at a VFW. I was shocked that they had no generator or means of emergency power. I was there a month ago and asked if they had a generator yet. Nope.
all in all, a simple blood donation is a piece of cake.

jake11 - I donate as often as I can. I think its every 45 days or something, I forget. They call me like a crazed telemarketer whenever I am eligible again.

the policy is dumb though. they only take a pint. doesn't matter if you are 80lbs or 6'8" 420lbs.

I'm 6'1" 230lbs, they could take more. I don't even get remotely light headed. Last time, I went to the gym right after. felt no different.

TBH, the main reason I donate is because I have high hematocrit so it's very good for my health (and why I want them to take more). Surprisingly, it made me feel good about the process and thinking I might help someone's mom or kid in the process of helping myself.

one time, they f'd up when they called me. the girl says, we'd like to thank you for your attempt to donate blood on such and such a date. I said, what do you mean my attempt? You took blood out of my arm and I saw it in the baggie. She then tells me that my blood wasn't used. Now, they supposedly test all the blood and are supposed to call you to tell you if there is any reason why they can't use your blood (aides, hep etc..) So this person had no answer for me so I started freaking out. after talking to her supervisor, they had to admit that my blood donation was left on the floor of a closet at the red cross for too long and it had to be discarded. WTF, right! Glad I don't have the aids but what kind of irresponsible shit is that??

another time, the red cross place I was at lost power just as the girl was sticking me. they had some people hooked up to machines because they were donating more than blood (platelets I think). they told me the machine basically takes a bunch of blood from the person, takes some parts out and then pumps the remaining blood back in the person.
the place had NO generator! they were freaking out and talking on cell phones to other red cross places getting directions for how to get the blood back in manually!
this was an actual red cross facility, not a blood drive at a VFW. I was shocked that they had no generator or means of emergency power. I was there a month ago and asked if they had a generator yet. Nope.

Crazy stories. Phone Post 3.0

I have the shitty blood type so I donate platelets and plasma instead. Phone Post 3.0

I have been giving everytime I can since I'm like 20.

I've given close to 5 gallons of blood so far. Phone Post 3.0

They gave me a 4 gallon pin time before last. I like to think that I've helped someone along the way.

OP aren't you the guy who caught hepatitis from having unprotected sex with a tranny you thought was a woman? Phone Post 3.0

trblesum13 - OP aren't you the guy who caught hepatitis from having unprotected sex with a tranny you thought was a woman? Phone Post 3.0
LOL. No.

Maybe that was Jack Carter. Phone Post 3.0

I give once in a while. I used to give more often when I was in my early 20s. The only part of the process I don't like is them sticking my finger to test the iron content before they hook you up. I asked one time it they can stick somewhere else like my forearm because for whatever reason a finger stick will continue to hurt me for like a whole week. They refused when medically there's no reason to do a finger stick. Anyway, after that was when I decided to give less often because they wouldn't accommodate that small a request. I mean fuck, if they're going to stick a needle the size of a nail up my vein, you'd think they could meet me half way and not prick at a finger tip where there's so much nerve activity and choose some other site.

jake11 - I donate as often as I can. I think its every 45 days or something, I forget. They call me like a crazed telemarketer whenever I am eligible again.

Do you have a medical reason for why you have high hematocrit? Phone Post 3.0

thanks for donating guys, every unit helps.

Men should be donating periodically anyway for health reasons. We don't have the naturally built in monthly mechanism of purging our blood of excess iron that women do. It's just a good idea to "change out the oil" every few months so to speak (not to mention the obvious need for donations). Phone Post 3.0

McFly - Men should be donating periodically anyway for health reasons. We don't have the naturally built in monthly mechanism of purging our blood of excess iron that women do. It's just a good idea to "change out the oil" every few months so to speak (not to mention the obvious need for donations). Phone Post 3.0
I piss blood once a month.... That isn't good enough? Phone Post 3.0