ABRAHAM LINCOLN WAS A RACIST

Check out these quotes from Abraham Lincoln that you weren't taught in school and never heard about from the mainstream media:

“Free them [black slaves] and make them politically and socially our equals? My own feelings will not admit of this . . . . We can not then make them equals.” (Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln , Vol. II, p. 256).

“There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people, to the idea of an indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races.” (Collected Works, Vol. II, p. 405).

“What I would most desire would be the separation of the white and black races.” (Collected Works, Vol. II, p. 521).

“I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races . . . . I . . . am in favor of the race to which I belong, having the superior position. I have never said anything to the contrary.” (Collected Works Vol. III, p. 16).

“I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races . . . . I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people.” (Collected Works, Vol. III, pp. 145-146).

“I will to the very last stand by the law of this state [Illinois], which forbids the marrying of white people with negroes.” (Collected Works, Vol. III, p. 146).

“Senator Douglas remarked . . . that . . . this government was made for the white people and not for negroes. Why, in point of mere fact, I think so too.” (Collected Works, Vol. II p. 281).

“Let us be brought to believe it is morally right . . . to transfer the African to his native clime.” (Collected Works, Vol. II, p. 409).

“The place I am thinking about having for a colony [for the deportation of all black people] is in Central America. It is nearer to us than Liberia.” (Collected Works, Vol. V, pp. 373-374).

“I think no wise man has perceived, how it [slavery] could be at once eradicated, without producing a greater evil, even to the cause of human liberty itself.” (Collected Works, Vol. II, p. 130).

“I say that we must not interfere with the institution of slavery . . . because the constitution forbids it, and the general welfare does not require us to do so.” (Collected Works, Vol. III, p. 460).

What!?

We should shoot that asshole while he's watching a movie or something!

You're right, the NBA should ban him for life. Phone Post 3.0

I sense a lifetime ban and 2.5 million dollar fine coming Phone Post 3.0

Hate420 - You're right, the NBA should ban him for life. Phone Post 3.0
You beat me to the joke. VU Phone Post 3.0

when were these quotes?

bet they were early, pre-prez, right?

so all you have is evidence of an evolving point of view.

Actions speak louder than words. At least they did back then. Phone Post 3.0

" Which wasn't actually a mean spirited thing, given that many slaves were 1st or 2nd generation from Africa."

By that point in history, the trans Atlantic slave trade had slowed in the USA, so many of the slaves at that point were not 1st generation Africans, and most of them had ancestors in the USA that went back more than one generation.

"when were these quotes?

so all you have is evidence of an evolving point of view."

Abraham Lincoln continued to make racist comments while he was President. There were actually black slaves in Washington DC while he was President, as well as in other Union states and territories. The Emancipation Proclamation only applied to slaves that were held in the Confederacy and was only issued as a war strategy, with the hope that it would inspire a slave uprising and also to discourage England and France from intervening in the war on behalf of the Confederacy.

I think that these quotes from Abraham Lincoln ought to be read on national TV and in every school house in America on Abraham Lincoln's birth day. Americans should know the truth about one of history greatest frauds.

"Anyone with even a 6th grade history education should know he was a racist.."

Americans are taught to believe that Abraham Lincoln was wonderful human being and a great President who really loved black people. Most Americans buy into this BS because they don't do any of their own research and take what their school teachers and the mainstream media tells them to believe as the gospel.

fangclan - when were these quotes?

This post is evidence of your lack of historical knowledge.

WHO GIVES A FUCK? Phone Post 3.0

facekicker4 - the mind of the left is just pure insanity. Lincoln did more for blacks than every black leader in history combined but if he says the word nigger it erases all that
That's utter bullshit Phone Post 3.0

Onikage - 
fangclan - when were these quotes?

This post is evidence of your lack of historical knowledge.

I think fangclan is correct. I think Lincoln's racism softened over the course of his life.

We do this thread like twice a week. Lincoln was a complicated human being. W.E.B. Dubois put it best:

Abraham Lincoln

W.E.B. DuBois
July 1922

Abraham Lincoln was a Southern poor white, of illegitimate birth, poorly educated and unusually ugly, awkward, ill-dressed. He liked smutty stories and was a politician down to his toes. Aristocrats--Jeff Davis, Seward and their ilk--despised him, and indeed he had little outwardly that compelled respect. But in that curious human way he was big inside. He had reserves and depths and when habit and convention were torn away there was something left to Lincoln--nothing to most of his contemners. There was something left, so that at the crisis he was big enough to be inconsistent--cruel, merciful; peace-loving, a fighter; despising Negroes and letting them fight and vote; protecting slavery and freeing slaves. He was a man--a big, inconsistent, brave man.

Again, Lincoln

W.E.B. DuBois
September 1922

We love to think of the Great as flawless. We yearn in our imperfection toward Perfection–sinful, we envisage Righteousness.

As a result of this, no sooner does a great man die than we begin to whitewash him. We seek to forget all that was small and mean and unpleasant and remember the fine and brave and good. We slur over and explain away his inconsistencies and at last there begins to appear, not the real man, but the tradition of the man–remote, immense, perfect, cold and dead!

This sort of falsehood appeals to some folk. They want to dream their heroes true; they want their heroes all heroic with no feet of clay; and they are astonished, angered, hurt if some one speaks the grim, forgotten truth. They can see but one motive for such digging up of filth, for such evil speaking of the dead–and that is prurient love of evil.

Thus many of my readers were hurt by what I said of Lincoln in the July CRISIS.

I am sorry to hurt them, for some of them were tried friends of me and my cause–particularly one like the veteran, wounded at Chickamauga and a staunch defender of our rights, who thinks my words "unkind and uncalled for."

First and foremost, there comes a question of fact. Was what I said true or false? This I shall not argue. Any good library will supply the books, and let each interested reader judge. Only they should remember that, as one of my naive critics writes, "I know that there are among his early biographers those who say something to the same effect"; but against these he marshalls the later words of those who want to forget. I leave the matter there. If my facts were false, my words were wrong–but were my facts false?

Beyond this, there is another and deeper question on which most of my critics dwell. They say, What is the use of recalling evil? What good will it do? or as one phrases, "Is this proper food for your people"? I think it is.

Abraham Lincoln was perhaps the greatest figure of the nineteenth century. Certainly of the five masters,–Napoleon, Bismarck, Victoria, Browning and Lincoln, Lincoln is to me the most human and lovable. And I love him not because he was perfect but because he was not and yet triumphed. The world is full of illegitimate children. The world is full of folk whose taste was educated in the gutter. The world is full of people born hating and despising their fellows. To these I love to say: See this man. He was one of you and yet he became Abraham Lincoln.

Some may prefer to believe (as one correspondent intimates) that he was of Mayflower ancestry through the "Lin-coins of Hingham!" Others may refuse to believe his taste in jokes and political maneuvers and list him as an original abolitionist and defender of Negroes. But personally I revere him the more because up out of his contradictions and inconsistencies he fought his way to the pinnacles of earth and his fight was within as well as without. I care more for Lincoln's great toe than for the whole body of the perfect George Washington, of spotless ancestry, who "never told a lie" and never did anything else interesting.

No! I do not love evil as evil; I do not retail foul gossip about either the living or the dead; but I glory in that crucified humanity that can push itself up out of the mud of a miserable, dirty ancestry; who despite the clinging smirch of low tastes and shifty political methods, rose to be a great and good man and the noblest friend of the slave.

Do my colored friends really believe the picture would be fairer and finer if we forgot Lincoln's unfortunate speech at Charleston, Illinois, in 1858? I commend that speech to the editors who have been having hysterics. Abraham Lincoln said:

I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races–that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to inter-marry with white people; and I will say in addition to this, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.

This was Lincoln's word in 1858. Five years later he declared that black slaves "are and henceforward shall be free." And in 1864 he was writing to Hahn of Louisiana in favor of Negro suffrage.

The difficulty is that ignorant folk and inexperienced try continually to paint humanity as all good or all evil. Was Lincoln great and good? He was! Well, then, all evil alleged against him are malicious lies, even if they are true.

"Why should you wish to hold up to public gaze those defects of character you claim he possessed, knowing that he wrought so well?"

That is the very reason for telling the Truth. That is the reason for painting Cromwell's mole as it was and not as some artists conceive it ought to have been.

The scars and foibles and contradictions of the Great do not diminish but enhance the worth and meaning of their upward struggle: it was the bloody sweat that proved the human Christ divine; it was his true history and antecedents that proved Abraham Lincoln a Prince of Men.

"WHO GIVES A FUCK?"

Everyone should care, since the education establishment and mainstream media have been lying about Abraham Lincoln for the past 100 plus years.

theshooter - I think that these quotes from Abraham Lincoln ought to be read on national TV and in every school house in America on Abraham Lincoln's birth day. Americans should know the truth about one of history greatest frauds.

Sorry but MLK JR owns Lincoln in this regard easily.

If anyone wants an excellent account of Lincolns evolving views on race, check out "The Fiery Trial" by Eric Foner.

There are bigger issues that need to be addressed than racism

Population control measures need to be introduced. Higher taxes for those who have more than 1 child! Phone Post 3.0