Absorption: myth or legit?

In this particular case Im talking about gluco/condro supplementation to hopefully help joints.

I was taking the hard tablets for a while and heard that the absorption rate is pretty poor.

So I switched over to the liquid stuff. I am mixing this with a drink, can that in any way dimish the potency?

So is the absorption rate claims significant or more just a case of hyping your own product?

From what I've learned from others on this board who are much more knowlegable about vitamins than I am, the hard pills GENERALLY have a harder time fully dissolving in the stomach.  Whatever doesn't dissolve is wasted and passes through.

Now, that doesn't mean that every liquid supplement will always have a better absorption rate.  There are no standards for supplements and there's a very wide range of quality and a lot of false labeling, so your liquid might be poorly made and not providing exactly that the label says.

The best study of glucosamine that I've seen (so far) shows it having no effect greater than placebo. So, absorption is really the least of your worries, hehe.

"The best study of glucosamine that I've seen (so far) shows it having no effect greater than placebo. So, absorption is really the least of your worries, hehe."

Im aware of that. Ive just had enough joint issues at a young age that I want to stack the odds in my favor as much as I can.

Unless a study shows that it can HURT you, I dont see the harm for a reasonable price.

Oh, well, what PFS said then.

The best study of glucosamine that I've seen (so far) shows it having no effect greater than placebo. So, absorption is really the least of your worries, hehe.

I just had my orthopedist tell me that the latest, most expensive, non-biased university study shows that glucosomine and chondroitin do help arthritis.

The studies, they are a changin :) I'm PROBLY not as up to date as your doctor.

lol, speak of the devil... blurb on the news tonite that said "A new study finds no benefit!" Eh, whenever pubmed gets around to indexing em, I'll read em.

Natural amino acid chalated multi minerals.. Chelated minerals are about 40% more efficient in regards to absorbtion and assimilation into the body than regular minerals..

UMAC CORE - all natural, organic, over 35 chelated elements.

Compare it to any vitamin or other supplement.. You will see...

You have to check it out. Well worth your time, I'll guarantee that you wont feel like your time was wasted looking at this stuff.

Read about it here www.bjjequipment.com/phyto.asp

I have been taking it for about two months. The first thing that myself, my son, and our bjj professor noticed is that our mental clarity increased.. almost immediately...

All I need to know about the quackery of eating phyoplankton came from this quote from the above site:

Phytoplankton are the food utilized by the worlds largest and longest living animals and fish. Blue whales, bowhead whales, baleen whales, gray whales, humpbacks, and right whales all eat plankton. These species live between 80 and 150 years old and maintain great strength and endurance throughout their lives. The largest fish, a plankton eating whale shark, lives for over 150 years, grows up to 14 meters long, weighs up to 15 tons, and is sexually active until it dies.

Hate to break it to you, but the fact that whales live long lives on a diet of  plankton has NOTHING to do with a human diet.

It is not quackery at all, but is bad copy. I appreciate the criticism. I have changed the copy on the website. www.bjjequipment.com/phyto.asp

Oh, I see.  You're the one selling this stuff, huh?  That means you're not the most objective source of info regarding it.  If you have some valid, peer-reviewed studies documenting the effects of human consumption of phytoplankton, please cite them.

Glucosamine does work. A great example is in dogs (I know they are not people but..) My friends dog has hip/back problems. When they give her Glucosamine it really helps her. She does not get a placebo effect as she is not that smart :) Several humans I know switched to the liquid and got significant relief in a couple of days. I think your age also has something to do with it as young people have much better cartilage.