accidentally fell asleep at work .... got fired :(

I have to tell somebody & you fucks have always been there to listen. I have/had a job as a security guard. My shifts are long 0630 - 1900.

Nobody knows this but my wife has been having anxiety/panic attack issues since our son was born (he's 3 now). Well the other night she had a panic attack. So i stayed awake that night talking to her just trying to calm her down. Problem was she didn't fall asleep until 230am & my alarm goes off at 5.

I knew i was in trouble but felt ok in the morning. Well as the day went on i got more & more tired. After eating my lunch i put my head down on my desk for a moment or two ..... well apparently i fell asleep even though i don't remember any of this.

One of the supervisors came in & found me asleep. So he took a picture of me sleeping & sent to my bosses boss with the tag line "is this what you call security?". A few days later they called me into the office & fired me.

Everybody just thinks i was lazy cause i was sleeping. And i didn't tell anybody the real reason cause my wife's medical issues are nobodies business but ours.

So here i sit ..... fuck I'm so embarrassed. Sorry for the FRAT

That sucks man. You should have had a coffee, redbull, adderall or something.

Sucks man. Please take up a coke habit next time to keep you awake.

That sucks man. I fall asleep kind of easily if I'm really tired so I understand. That being said shouldn't you know that about yourself enough to bring coffee or do whatever you gotta do to stay awake?

hope everything is ok with your wife

but you really cant blame your bosses...i mean a sleeping security guard (or sleeping any employee) is pretty much useless and exposes the company/property you are protecting to risk...as well as the patrons of the property

I'm sorry to hear this, both your wife's panic attacks and you getting fired. Seems like they could have given you a warning instead of just firing you, but I guess thems the breaks. I hope you get a job you like better that pays more so we can all laugh more at you about this later.

If you explain the reason they may be more lenient. If you say nothing (which is entirely your right to do so) they will assume you are just lazy. Just sayin...

In Limbo - hope everything is ok with your wife

but you really cant blame your bosses...i mean a sleeping security guard (or sleeping any employee) is pretty much useless and exposes the company/property you are protecting to risk...as well as the patrons of the property

Oh i know. I'm not looking for sympathy just needed to tell somebody. And i did take a coffee with me too but after eating my lunch i got super tired.

What bothers me the most is that i don't remember sleeping. No joke. It felt like my head was down for only a few seconds. I guess not. And it's not like i was asleep for an hour (not that it matters now) it must have been only a few minutes.

I told my bosses that i would have fired me too so i can't blame them. Just sucks is all.

Are in going to be in trouble financially? Will you do temp jobs whilst looking for a new job? Phone Post 3.0

That sucks dude. That sounds like a very slow and boring job, maybe you can get something a little more engaging now.

I know the situation though, when you are on only a couple hours of sleep, crazy shit can happen to you. Its kind of like being drunk accept you don't feel fucked up, just tired.

Its probably best you didn't mention the wife thing unless you are super desperate to keep your job because in the end it probably shouldn't matter if they felt it was a termination worthy offense.

Just hit the ground running and maybe pick up some temporary thing until you get another full time gig.

Keep your chin up bro. Phone Post 3.0

I have a friend who used to have panic attacks, and it seemed like pretty much hell on earth. It would kill me to see my wife go through that. I hope that you and your wife find a way to prevent the panic attacks.

As for the job, that sucks, but you'll find another. You made a mistake under sleep deprivation; you aren't the first. Don't let it haunt you, but make sure it is a mistake you don't make twice.

Better to tell them you have a drug of alcohol problem that caused you to fall asleep. Then maybe you have some recourse to get your job back. Phone Post 3.0

You'll be fine man. You can get a security job anywhere. Phone Post 3.0

heatmeiser - Better to tell them you have a drug of alcohol problem that caused you to fall asleep. Then maybe you have some recourse to get your job back. Phone Post 3.0

What about narcolepsy? They fired him because of a medical condition.

Jack Skellington - 
In Limbo - hope everything is ok with your wife

Oh i know. I'm not looking for sympathy just needed to tell somebody. And i did take a coffee with me too but after eating my lunch i got super tired.

What bothers me the most is that i don't remember sleeping. No joke. It felt like my head was down for only a few seconds. I guess not. And it's not like i was asleep for an hour (not that it matters now) it must have been only a few minutes.

I told my bosses that i would have fired me too so i can't blame them. Just sucks is all.

that means you are truly lacking sleep if you cant remember how you slept

it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world if you told your bosses something like

"im not asking for my job back, nor am I excusing my behavior as I should always be professional on the job. But just wanted to let you know that Ive been having issues on the home front causing me to lose sleep and that I didn't want you guys to think I was slacking or didn't care about my job."

Good luck man Phone Post 3.0

Shit dude...that's rough. Hope you find something new soon. Phone Post 3.0

I've fallen asleep at my desk (on purpose) and nodded off in meetings (not so on purpose). Sucks man. Apnea doesn't help.

Why wouldn't you explain. Was this your first offence? Surely there's a warning, written warning etc first?