Accuracy in Handgunning

How good can someone possibly get? Take the movie, The Quick and the Dead for example, is it possible to have the skill to shoot someone in the hand when they are drawing down on you? What I mean is, is it possible to do this consistently?

It is safe to say that the only consistent in a fight (with or without firearms) is that you will never be able to the xact same thing everytime. As for "doing trick shots"... If you have the time or opening to try a shot like that, I would speculate that you aren't in a true lethal force situation. :-)

Exactly.

Let's put it this way... I've seen two different times (vids) in which a police rifleman shot the handgun from a person during a standoff. Both shots were aimed, using a precision rifle with optics. Bad guy had to stop moving long enough to get a clear shot.

Both of these actions were pretty big deals. I've never ever heard of someone shooting a gun out of someone's hand. Even a crack shot would probably have a hard time doing this with a handgun, especially considering that the hand is at the end of a limb, which means that it can move -fast-.

And like was said above, if you are going to be shooting at someone, you probably want to stop the threat with a shot to the center of mass vs. the hand going for the pistol. Personally, if I were confident enough in my skills to shoot them in the hand, I'd go for the heart or head instead. I pretty sure that if you brain someone, there wouldn't be much of a threat left.

cheers

Wounds to the gun hand are statistically higher than you'd expect; under stress, people tend to focus on the threat weapon, so that's where they tend to shoot if they're not really well trained to hit center mass.

However, a bullet striking a limb parallel to the bone tends to do very little incapacitating damage, and that's how most bullets will hit if the limb is pointed at the shooter.

I did see a guy who could manage 6" groups at 25 yards with an Israeli Draw on a 1911.

But seriously, with enough practice, I'm sure you could, but that would mean years and years of daily, strict practice.

I do mostly single-action shooting...anyone ever see Bob Munden or some of these other guys?

It's hard to get daily practice in (price-ammo/range) for most folks to get that good.

I do IDPA and some of those guys are pretty amazing with what they can do.

Wilhelm

So Toki, it's possible then. That's interesting. Hey, long time no see by the way.

Just remember, there is a difference between shooting on the range and shooting at a living target.

Those guys that do that shooting are also (frequently) using reduced power loads. If Munden or the other guys were using full house then things might turn out different.

Not only that... but in those real-deal situations where you have to make one shot under stress, it's almost always a cold shot (no warmup, cold barrel if longarm, etc)

I also shoot IDPA competition. I bring fellow Law Enforcement officers to matches with me that feel so ashamed at how they shoot in a simulated combat scenerio, not just standing in front of a target, that they won't come back. Hey, I try. It is very difficult to maintain good shot placement in a heated situation, even if it is just a scenerio. Practice, practice, and more practice.

Yep. Shooting ain't hard. Shooting with movement is. Shooting with movement while some other SOB is firing back? That's a whole 'nother story according to the experts. I took a "tactical pistol" class and felt like a fucking goober at how poorly I initially did.

JailSgt, krept, White347LX and the other crew are so damn correct it isn't funny. Practice, practice and mo' practice is the only way.

Anyone play with simmunition?

I've worked with simunition several times in the past. Nothing tells you "Hey, you screwed up" quite like a nice red splatter on the center of your face mask.

LOL!!!

I also do IDPA, it changes everything when you add in more senarios. If I could shoot that well, Ill still shoot body mass.

Simunition and paint ball training both really let you know it when you have been "tagged". OUCH!