Achilles tear TMA

Pretty sure the MRI will confirm this next week. Was playing ball and heard a pop, it felt like I had just got shot in the back of the foot. This shit sucks

Any advice on this topic will be appreciated. How did you guys handle it ?

Ttt

Fuck. I live with Achilles tendonitis that will not go away. I think I have e had it for 4 years or so. In to hear what they say. GL man.

Yikes. Ttt for input.

Phuckles - Fuck. I live with Achilles tendonitis that will not go away. I think I have e had it for 4 years or so. In to hear what they say. GL man.

I've only had it a couple of months but it's miserable. 

Nothing compared to a tear I'm sure. 

Eccentric drops. Alfreddson protocol

Ttt 

I’ve been recovering from tears in multiple tendons. 

1) cut out all refined sugar (bread, candy, chocolate, etc) if you can do so safely.  Excess sugar creates chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation prevents nutrients from reaching and healing the damaged collagen. 

2) l muscle tightness causes stress on tendons. Chronic muscle tightness will create pain. Painful Chronic tightness will create tears during extreme activities (loss of balance, falling, sports, jumping, etc.). Use a foam roller, lacrosse ball, massage stick, or any tool you can to keep your calf soft. They should never be tight. If it “hurts” or is “tender” or “sensitive” during a massage then its unhealthy muscle tissue and needs to be massaged. Doing it daily for at least 5-15 mins can result in a permanent solution when matched with a healthy diet. 

2) protein heals tendons. Give the body the tools it needs to rebuild the damaged tissue. Collagen protein, whey protein, meat protein, it all helps. Lack of proteins will slow the healing rate. Drink enough water.  

3) sleep is important anything bellow 8+ hours will slow healing. 

4)stretching/movement patterns and mobility: start doing “light yoga” drills to make sure your ankles are flexible and mobile. It’ll prevent reinjury. 

5) trust your body, if it’s hurts bad then don’t fuck with it. Working through pain for a long time will match that time in healing time. So if you ignored pain to 2+ years expect 2+ years of proper DAILY rehabilitation work to get it to heal to 100%. That’s the average. 

Avoid refined sugars, it prolongs chronic inflammation

avoid tightness, it creates micro tears and pain. 

Avoid conplete rest. You need a structured daily physical therapy as soon as you can load the ankle with less than 4/10 pain where 10 is “I need to go the hospital”

be patient it takes a long time to heal. 

Do as much research as you can it’ll pay off overtime. 

Phuckles - Fuck. I live with Achilles tendonitis that will not go away. I think I have e had it for 4 years or so. In to hear what they say. GL man.

You’re doing it wrong. I bet I can 100% help you recover from it. Send me a message if you want to know. 

ThreadKiller -

You’re doing it wrong. I bet I can 100% help you recover from it. Send me a message if you want to know. 

I wanna know

ABCTT_SENNIN -
ThreadKiller -

I wanna know

Send me a message. I’ll help you when I get to a normal keyboard. 

In. Hurt mine a couple months ago doing sprints and haven't been able to run since. Depressing

I would like to inspire everyone to seek answers online for healing/curing your pain. We have the power to heal ourselves through an intelligently designed lifestyle (daily habits). 

Proper food, proper sleep, proper hydration, proper massaging, proper rest, proper strength training, avoidance of stuff that creates issues (sugar, alcohol, working through pain, lowering stress, avoiding things that cause pain, etc). 

If everyone was to inplament these thinfs into their their day to day lives they would eliminate and heal majority of their pain and injuries. Unfortunately, sometimes, missing even one variable can keep us in “injury limbo”.

It took me 3-4 years to figure this out but I’m not working on big goals in strength training (working toward 315+ pound a quat after traumatic tears in achellies, patella, quadriceps, and forearm tendons. I was fucked for a long time so if I can heal and recover everyone can.

Message me if you’re tired of dealing with muscle/tendon pain and I can probably guide you on the right track. Heads up, I don’t recommend pills or pain killers. A proper lifestyle will mitigate the pain. Within a few days/weeks. 

Phuckles - Fuck. I live with Achilles tendonitis that will not go away. I think I have e had it for 4 years or so. In to hear what they say. GL man.

Same here. I think I'm at the 2 year mark, though.

ThreadKiller - 

1) cut out all refined sugar (bread, candy, chocolate, etc) if you can do so safely.  Excess sugar creates chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation prevents nutrients from reaching and healing the damaged collagen. 

2) l muscle tightness causes stress on tendons. Chronic muscle tightness will create pain. Painful Chronic tightness will create tears during extreme activities (loss of balance, falling, sports, jumping, etc.). Use a foam roller, lacrosse ball, massage stick, or any tool you can to keep your calf soft. They should never be tight. If it “hurts” or is “tender” or “sensitive” during a massage then its unhealthy muscle tissue and needs to be massaged. Doing it daily for at least 5-15 mins can result in a permanent solution when matched with a healthy diet. 

2) protein heals tendons. Give the body the tools it needs to rebuild the damaged tissue. Collagen protein, whey protein, meat protein, it all helps. Lack of proteins will slow the healing rate. Drink enough water.  

4)stretching/movement patterns and mobility: start doing “light yoga” drills to make sure your ankles are flexible and mobile. It’ll prevent reinjury. 

5) trust your body, if it’s hurts bad then don’t fuck with it. Working through pain for a long time will match that time in healing time. So if you ignored pain to 2+ years expect 2+ years of proper DAILY rehabilitation work to get it to heal to 100%. That’s the average. 

Avoid conplete rest. You need a structured daily physical therapy as soon as you can load the ankle with less than 4/10 pain where 10 is “I need to go the hospital”

I believe in some of this but sometimes it's just going to go.

I tore my last January. I just started training again a month ago.

Had a complete reconstruction. Mine tore because I blew out my ankle 10 years ago and my leg structurally changed. Calf blew 2 years ago. Achilles went in January.

If you train hard, shit happens. My only suggestion would be to not push through it.

I was doing a switch kick and felt a tweak. Figured I could push through and the next thing it popped. There were fighters in the front of our gym who heard it.

If you think you've hurt it, go to a sport medicine guy. Get some pro injections and don't push it. I'm now 30 pounds heavier and trying to get leg strength back,

How long until physical activity after surgery?

OnlyPirateFan - 

How long until physical activity after surgery?

It depends on how bad your tear is, etc.

I had to use a cadaver ligament and my calf wouldn't heal so it's been a year.

I can jog now and box flat-footed. I haven't gone back to MT and I can explode on it at all. It's just not there. It's not like it hurts, it's just not there.

And I've ridden the bike almost daily and done all the stuff they tell you to do along the way. I've even had two cortisone shots and one prp injection for problems.

I may be worst case but it hasn't been fun and most people I talk to see to have similar experience of a year with explosion never being the same.

For reference, my buddy was a high level d-1 point guard and he can't play basketball anymore.

I don't know if I tore my Achilles because I never went to the doctor for it. I only think it was becuase that is where that pain came from. While wrestling my opponent use his weight to pull me to the mat only my leg was trapped and could not roll. Image your left foot glued to the floor and you fell to your left without your foot being able to move with your leg. A felt a huge amount of pressure on my leg then a LOUD pop. I thought my leg snapped in half. 

Put ice on it that night. Never went to the doctor. Limped for a month. Couldn't put stress on it without pain for about 6 months. Eventually got better and now I can't tell it ever happened. Like I said I don't really know if it was my Achilles though. Good luck.

Timbobase -
ThreadKiller - 

I believe in some of this but sometimes it's just going to go.

I tore my last January. I just started training again a month ago.

Had a complete reconstruction. Mine tore because I blew out my ankle 10 years ago and my leg structurally changed. Calf blew 2 years ago. Achilles went in January.

If you train hard, shit happens. My only suggestion would be to not push through it.

I was doing a switch kick and felt a tweak. Figured I could push through and the next thing it popped. There were fighters in the front of our gym who heard it.

If you think you've hurt it, go to a sport medicine guy. Get some pro injections and don't push it. I'm now 30 pounds heavier and trying to get leg strength back,

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm in no way trying to mock you... but you're completely wrong thatsports/training always lead to injury.  It usually does at highest levels of play but it doesnt need to for recreational use.  We should become stronger as we age, the notion of "expect to breakdown as you age" is created by fools or the misinformed.  Its also the favorite qoute of the medical industry if i had to guess.  "expect to pay us big money when you break down after 40yo",  That's utter bullshit.

90% of all pathalogy comes from abusing the body for long periods of time until it finally gives out and the common "oh fuck" moment happen. Unless you had a catastrophe (Car accident, falling onto your ankle from a high place, getting sht in the ankle, etc.) chances are you avoid your body's signals to "fix" whatever is causing pain.

Here's most likely what you did wrong but there are 100x + variables that contributed to your injury:

1) Working through pain = you will 100% injure yourself.  Its your body's "check engine sign" and you're ignoring it.  I'm confidant you've been feeling pain on and off for over a year until one day it snapped.  Your body was doing ALL IT COULD for a year+ (I'm assuming) and instead of slowing down and assessing your machine you forced it to push hard, you blew the engine.

2) I'm pretty sure you eat a typical american diet (I'm American, no diss).  High carbs, high sugar, refined carbs, sugar in your coffee, sneaker bars, pepsi.

^all this stuff leads to CHRONIC inflammation which means your body CHRONICALLY (think, 1 year plus), is unsable to deliver nutrients to the damaged tendon BECAUSE inflammation is blocking the pathway. 

Chronic inflammation also = Your body is CHRONICALLY is destrying itself because there's a signal for inflammation.  This means your body is trying to break down the old damaged cells to make way for new healthy cells, unfortunately the "CHRONIC INFLAMMATION" never goes away! this means your body is "making space" for new cells but no cells arent fed nutrients to be made and kept alive,  its a vicious cycle of pain and setbacks!

3) no sleep, sitting in bad posture most day in the office, etc.  I Could be totally wrong, just assuming based on "average american".  All this stuff leads to poor recovery, poor recovery leads to poor healing which leads to tendons that are always in a realm of "if this motherfucker pushes us HARD we might not be able to hold on to all the ropes!" (muscles/tendons are a huge collection microscopic threads/ropes, hence "micro tear" and many "micro tears" create ruptures and full detachments)

3) Not doing frequent soft tissue work.  Is it safe to assume that you didn't spend 10-30mins foam rolling (self massage) and stretching after your workouts/games and nor did you do general recovery maintence to ensure your tendons are healing adequetly after you felt the initial "pain" that you pushed through?

tight muscles = the tendon is getting pulled on much HARDER because the tight muscle is always in a slight "shortend" state.  Think of it as overtigtning a guitar string or a piece of hair.  Too much "chronic" tightness will cause problems because the body will be forced to compensate somewhere else, usually at the tendon attachment point (point between tendon and muscle).  Thus, doing a self massage 5-7 times per weak can cure of tightness and avoid injury in the future (proper, half-assing does almost nothing for true healing), 

stevezur -

I don't know if I tore my Achilles because I never went to the doctor for it. I only think it was becuase that is where that pain came from. While wrestling my opponent use his weight to pull me to the mat only my leg was trapped and could not roll. Image your left foot glued to the floor and you fell to your left without your foot being able to move with your leg. A felt a huge amount of pressure on my leg then a LOUD pop. I thought my leg snapped in half. 

Put ice on it that night. Never went to the doctor. Limped for a month. Couldn't put stress on it without pain for about 6 months. Eventually got better and now I can't tell it ever happened. Like I said I don't really know if it was my Achilles though. Good luck.

Best case scenario for me. It’s been 3 weeks and I ice it daily. Appointment scheduled it two weeks. I hate doctors lol