ACL reconstruction experience?

I am having meniscus surgery on Thursday. The ACL looks loose but the MRI is inconclusive. Doc won't know if ACL is needed until surgery. So I won't know if they do the ACL until I wake up. I do like and trust the doc so that isn't an issue.

I have had the meniscus before so know what to expect.

Anyone had the ACL surgery before? How did it and the rehab go? I heard its painful. And a year long rehab.

I need to join a gym and develop a non BJJ workout. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Maybe a blue can post up links to previous threads. I wrote anout mine a couple times.

Short version....

I had it done with a piece of my own patella as donor. In 2 weeks i was badly atrophied. Started PT within a few days of surgery. Yes hurts but did what i was told. I think i got off crutches in 2or3 weeks and just hobbled around. Joined a gym just to use leg press. IIRC in 4mos i was done PT and just continue to rebuild strength....but not pivoting until 8-9mos post surgery. Gunshy for quite a bit afterwards.

Do what they tell you no matter pain....you want your RoM to be fullrange. Repair will be at its weakest ~2mos and fullstrength ~4mos. I trained by sittijg on the mat and having people attck from my back.

GOOD LUCK!

Had mine done June of 2014...pain is pretty rough for the first two weeks, do as much PT as possible. I did PT for the first 3 months, then started running every few days. Was cleared to start training 5 months after. I'm over a year now and feel great. They took my hamstring, the flexibility took a long time to get back and to this day isn't 100% back. Phone Post 3.0

Worst thing you can do is rush things.  Take your time, look to be back on the mat at around the 8/9 month mark and full sparring after a year.

Thanks for tips.

Did anyone develop an alternative workout ( in addition to rehab)? I don't want to get too fat and lazy

MarsMan -
EazyG - Thanks for tips.

Did anyone develop an alternative workout ( in addition to rehab)? I don't want to get too fat and lazy
Stationary bike, working just on range of motion in the beginning, and slowly building up resistance. Phone Post 3.0
This big time. Swimming too. Phone Post 3.0

Had my hamstring graft done when I was 14. I remember it being pretty long and drawn out trying to get mobility back. Didn't play any sport until I turned 20 and found BJJ. It's been great but I tore the meniscus in the same knee and I'm having troubles with it. Phone Post 3.0

I had both medial and lateral meniscui repaired, as well as my ACL reconstructed with my hamstring, and my articular cartilage.  I was competing in training bjj in about 7 months (was too early) I was still in a lot of pain, but there was a lot stability.  I had problems running, but not rolling.  The pain subsided about 15 months.  Take your physical therapy seriously, and really focus on strengthening your hamstrings.  If you can afford it, it's best to find a private PT that specializes with athletes.  The hospital will send you to their local PT and it sucks for long term.

Best of luck!

I got lucky!

Meniscus surgery only and no ACL! Great fricking news!

EazyG - I got lucky!

Meniscus surgery only and no ACL! Great fricking news!
Congrats man! That's great news! Phone Post 3.0

ACL's are bad for reinjury make sure you complete your rehab get that knee back to strength