ACL surgery? Anyone have this done?

Bjj injury. I heard three pops. ACL ripped completely in half. Doctor and MRI confirmed the need for surgery. Going for surgery this week. Debating between using my hamstring or patella tendon. Anyone have this surgery? Pros? Cons? Recovery time? Patella vs hamstring? Physical therapy is scheduled for about 5 days after surgery.

no stairs, running, jumping,

or playing with other dogs

my dog just had it 1 month ago..

don't lick other dogs junks either

Joe Lauzon made a blog about his op and recovery - it's a good stuff and will help you a lot. Phone Post

In this sport we've all had it. Are you a competitor hobbyist? The type of surgery changes the recovery drastically. Phone Post 3.0

Twice here - the second time I used a cadaver ligament and I've been good to go for like 14 years now Phone Post 3.0

Get after your physical therapy like it's your job. Phone Post 3.0

I've been wanting to get back to jujitsu, threads like this make me second guess myself. I'm too far in debt to find myself out of work.

I couldn't get my dick up after mine Phone Post 3.0

simpleman17 - Bjj injury. I heard three pops. ACL ripped completely in half. Doctor and MRI confirmed the need for surgery. Going for surgery this week. Debating between using my hamstring or patella tendon. Anyone have this surgery? Pros? Cons? Recovery time? Patella vs hamstring? Physical therapy is scheduled for about 5 days after surgery.
They should use a cadavers acl not your patella or hamstrings wtf who is your doc dude? I had mine torn 3 years ago and never once was using any of my own parts to fix the injury ever brought up that sounds like a stupid solution dude Phone Post 3.0

NoMaD91 -
simpleman17 - Bjj injury. I heard three pops. ACL ripped completely in half. Doctor and MRI confirmed the need for surgery. Going for surgery this week. Debating between using my hamstring or patella tendon. Anyone have this surgery? Pros? Cons? Recovery time? Patella vs hamstring? Physical therapy is scheduled for about 5 days after surgery.
They should use a cadavers acl not your patella or hamstrings wtf who is your doc dude? I had mine torn 3 years ago and never once was using any of my own parts to fix the injury ever brought up that sounds like a stupid solution dude Phone Post 3.0
Depends. If he's young and can do a long rehab, hamstring is far better in the long run. If he can't or is older, cadaver is the way to go. Phone Post 3.0

downperiscope -
NoMaD91 -
Depends. If he's young and can do a long rehab, hamstring is far better in the long run. If he can't or is older, cadaver is the way to go. Phone Post 3.0
Cadaver = quicker rehab if your body doesn't reject it.

Non-Cadaver = zero chance of rejection - it might be stronger than a cadaver - the rehab and pain is worse Phone Post 3.0

Did mine in bjj rolling hard helping my boy prepare for an MMA fight...My doc recommended my own parts I went with hamstring and it worked great for me...said there isn't good "QC" on cadaver parts you could get some 95 year olds ligament and someone else's part in me never say right...there must be some risk of rejection but I've never looked into that...

When I woke up I learned that I also had to have micro fracture to repair cartridge damage so that totally changed my rehab

My advice - get after the rehab for real and push it...first time on the bike will hurt like a bitch but push through it....and then push through it every time after that...it will be easy to say you can't go all the way around pedaling the bike but it's mind over matter and you can ...if you slack off on rehab you're not doing yourself any favors

Maybe even more important - work on flexibility/range of motion stuff a lot

Don't do the rehab for a bit and stop when you're feeling close to back stick it out until after you are 100%.

If you can afford would also recommend atleast starting your rehab with a professional instead of downloading some exercises and doing it yourself.

My brother did his and did a way half ass rehab all by himself...really barely any rehab...he just slacked...has had nothing but problems after

Put the hard work in rehab it properly and you will be good to go ...I have no issues 7 years

I will say that I didn't do enough hamstring work initially and did notice the hammy they took some from was weaker than the other side for a bit...didn't really affect me but I could notice lifting that the one side was weaker...so if u go this route work that hammy

Good luck bro - no option but the surgery ...you got it piece of cake Phone Post 3.0

Thanks johnjonesurgayle. I'm not going with the cadaver because I don't ever want to go thru another surgery if it gets rejected. I've broken both my legs so I've been through painful rehab. Hopefully this isn't worse. What was everyone's rehab time? It's my right leg so driving to work is going to be a bitch.

Tore mine along with my meniscus in my last fight. Should be having surgery sometime next month. Mine was a partial acl tear though. Phone Post 3.0

Tore ACL, MCL and meniscus. Used my hamstring. Don't rush your recovery and make sure you keep an eye out for signs of infection once you are aloud to take your wrapping off.
My only issue was a nerve block they administered before my surgery. I would NOT recommend. The nerve is in your pelvis and it is extremely painful.
The last thing I remember before being gassed out is being strapped to a bed, blood squirting from my hip and screaming in agony.
I still have little feeling on the right side my my shin. Phone Post 3.0

Stu Cazzo -
downperiscope -
NoMaD91 -

Non-Cadaver = zero chance of rejection - it might be stronger than a cadaver - the rehab and pain is worse Phone Post 3.0
Stu is on point. Phone Post 3.0

AgedCaviar - Get after your physical therapy like it's your job. Phone Post 3.0
^^^ this...

Get full range of motion ASAP to start rehab out right Phone Post 3.0

To those who had surgery: patela vs hamstring? Right now I'm leaning towards hamstring just for strength. I'm also turning 40 soon. I'm only a practice and sometime competitor bjj guy who just came back after a LONG layoff due to back issues. Guess I should have stayed sidelined.

Best of luck. It's a nightmare for any of us but you WILL BE BACK. Phone Post 3.0

Stu Cazzo -
downperiscope -
NoMaD91 -

This I had mine done, could not afford PT, did my own, am now rolling after 3 months.

Feels great! Phone Post 3.0