Acting causes Parkinson's too!!!

It has to be true. I just read in the paper this morning that an actor with a 40-year acting career, Robert Stahl, died yesterday. He had Parkinson's disease too. Oh my, why do Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, etc keep acting when they are putting themselves at risk by working in such a dangerous field?

I remember some moron doctor actually claimed MJ Fox might have gotten Parkinson's because he violently banged his head once when he was younger.

Uhh, that isn't a moronic assertion. Severe head trauma is a KNOWN risk factor for parkinsons. There was a study, IIRC of WWII vets who had been shot or otherwise banged up in the head. They were much more likely to develop parkinsons (and several other NASTY neuro disorders) late in life than the general population.

The reason they think this might be is because of disruption of the blood-brain barrier. The blood-brain barrier keeps the immune system from "seeing" components of the brain normally. When that is disrupted somehow, all of a sudden the immune system starts seeing the brain, and can recognize it as "foreign", and start mounting an immune response against it. Antibodies and things can sometimes leak across the barrier, and possibly kill the parts of the brain they now recognize.

Michael J Fox got his from using drugs back in the 80s IMO.

who would think that a sport where the goal is to cause severe trauma to the brain would be associated with brain problems? it's a ridiculous notion.

its ridiculous to assume anything then try to put it forward as fact.

I doubt the evil anti-elvis suffered cavum septum pellucidum like Ali did.

No. Parkinson's syndrome mimics the disease but have different causes.

Have you ever seen Ali talk and walk etc?

He's looking like a shaky old man. Put him in front of a heavy bag and he looks fluid and throws great.

Shocked the hell out of me to see that.

"There was a study, IIRC of WWII vets who had been shot or otherwise banged up in the head. They were much more likely to develop parkinsons (and several other NASTY neuro disorders) late in life than the general population."

This is an incomplete assumption. Could it also be medications they received or emotional truama. I bet $1000 that the majority of these people have had ice cream in there life time. Wow, if that is the case ice cream may cause PD in some people but maybe not others. I should include that in my next study!

You're right dougler.

I saw a clip of ali from only a few years ago and he was floating like a butterfly as if he had no problems at all.

As someone cited on another thread, the mayo clinic also did a study. People with a history of head trauma were at increased risk for parkinsons, and the more severe the head trauma, the higher the risk increase. Yes, something like "emotional trauma" or "medicines" COULD be the cause, but there is not known to be such an increased risk for veterans who have been shot somewhere other than the head, who could ostensibly be just as traumatized and would recieve the same medicines (morphine for severe pain, maybe penicillin), as have millions of other people who don't have increased risk for parkinsons. Maybe head trauma has nothing to do with it, but no other alternative hypothesis has been able to stratify samples into high and low risk groups. Few medical professionals would dispute, I think, that severe head trauma can increase your risk for parkinsons. They just aren't totally sure why it does, whether it is a primary or secondary effect.

I totally agree with you Ron Mexico. I'm familiar with the Mayo studies (one of my attendings did his fellowship there).

I was just trying to show that statistical correlations can be misused or not fully understood by others. They are hard enough to understand when you're trained in them, much more difficult when you are not.