ADCC absolute 2001

Hi,

I am currently watching this here are my observations -

Did Pe de Pano take a dive against JJM? What is there background/club history?

Why is Almedia always looking at the ref in the match v Masurenko as if there is a foul?

The points a very bias towards bjj. I train in BJJ but can see this

BJJ isnt really that superior a style v others

An eye opener thast for sure

"Did Pe de Pano take a dive against JJM?"

Can't say for sure, but I think the consensus is 'yes'.

It looked fishy when I saw it. The guy is a heavy weight JJ champ right?

Are they from the same camp? I know that PDP is gracie Barra. Was JJM barra pre moving to usa?

The thing is why? Who wants to win like that. Also why would PDP not want to win the whole thing? Maybe he was injured anyway.

"I know that PDP is gracie Barra. Was JJM barra pre moving to usa?"

Yes.  Common custom for junior members of a team to bow out to senior members.  Also, I think there was a large cash prize for "fastest submission"...

BTW, I have no actual knowledge of these events, that's just what I heard.

"The points a very bias towards bjj. I train in BJJ but can see this"

The Sheik, who runs the tournament, is a BJJ blackbelt, so I'm sure he keeps it based on Jiu Jitsu scoring. I see no problem with it.

"BJJ isnt really that superior a style v others"

I disagree, as pretty much all the fighters in ADCC train in Jiu-Jitsu. Even if they list their style as "Wrestling" or whatever.

Thanks Rockwell

That exlains things. Does that situation not crop up a lot in ADCC as a lot of the guys are from the same school?

In the Arona - Belfort match the intesity from Arona seemed down.

I dont mind it being BJJ biased. But its not a true yardstick of who the best grappler is

'as pretty much all the fighters in ADCC train in Jiu-Jitsu. Even if they list their style as "Wrestling" or whatever. '

I think the same can be said for BJJ guys training in wrestling

I would like to see no points/time limits.

In the first match Saulo v Japanese sub guy. The jap was never on the bottom, pushed for takedowns and yet stil lost on points (maybe for backing out of guard?). To me he looked to have won.

Hpefully the fila rules may be better

How can you say it isn't superior, when no non-bjj guy has managed to come close to touching guys like jacare or marcelo? Maybe you had a point when Kerr was winning, but these days good non-bjj guys get tapped by the bjjers.