Addiction question

Can you be addicted to something : lets say drugs/drinking, and "transfer" this addiction into something productive? Lets say running or swimming.

YES

Maybe, but I dont think its that easy.  For somelike like me, who is a type a or full blown addict, I needed outpatient rehab, therapy, and a 12 step program to quit the drugs and the booze.  Every person is different tho and everyone has to figure out a program that works for them.  Excerise, heatly eating, and vitamin suppliments are a very important part of my recovery program.  I have to manage my program every day.  Its so worth it.  I am so happy to be clean and free from active addiction.

Lucas Maximus -

YES

Do you know what its called?

BJTT-SGT606 -

Maybe, but I dont think its that easy.  For somelike like me, who is a type a or full blown addict, I needed outpatient rehab, therapy, and a 12 step program to quit the drugs and the booze.  Every person is different tho and everyone has to figure out a program that works for them.  Excerise, heatly eating, and vitamin suppliments are a very important part of my recovery program.  I have to manage my program every day.  Its so worth it.  I am so happy to be clean and free from active addiction.

Can you give me a breakdown of your supplements? I know everyone is different but who cares. It could be helpful

Of course. There's a reason many recovered addicts become religious or exercise fanatics for example. They need an addiction of some sort to keep themselves occupied. Idle time is the devil's playground

jmfp - Of course. There's a reason many recovered addicts become religious or exercise fanatics for example. They need an addiction of some sort to keep themselves occupied. Idle time is the devil's playground

Is there a name for this?

The Closed Guard -
jmfp - Of course. There's a reason many recovered addicts become religious or exercise fanatics for example. They need an addiction of some sort to keep themselves occupied. Idle time is the devil's playground

Is there a name for this?

Addict

Plenty of addicts such as Anthny Kiedis, Robet Downey jr and myself have transferred their drug addiction into exercise addiction..being addicted to exercise isn't bad at all

ltr

Yes

Hell yes !! I transferred mine into surfing . And food lol 

The NLP Swish Technique

"With the Swish (as with many NLP techniques) you don't have to struggle with negative thoughts.

You don’t need to fight with them.

Why? Because you use the Swish Pattern to point your thinking in a new direction! You actually teach your brain a new way of responding to the negative thought (or trigger).

By running the Swish Pattern a few times, you are teaching your brain to use this old Trigger to produce a new line of thinking and feeling."

Addictive personality doesn’t solely apply to intoxicants

Addiction is mostly a magic word that doesn't really mean anything. Even in the strictest sense of chemical dependency it's very hard if not impossible to nail down.

Cognitive shifting is a useful tool in the CBT toolbox but that doesn't mean you can easily jump from being a boozehound to an Olympian or whatever just because you flipped a switch in your head.

Depends on what kind of addict you are I think.

For me Ive been an addict as far back as I can remember, it only really dawned on me when I got addicted to drugs. But looking back, for my whole life Ive always been "addicted" to something. By that I mean when I find something I like, I become obsessed with it to the point where most other aspects of my life fall to the wayside, its not just a hobby or something, it becomes the thing that fuels everything I do and every thought I have relates to it. For me its been (in no order) gaming, sex, pills, heroin, weed, growing weed and mushrooms, firearms, guitar, vaping, specific bands, skateboarding, and others.

So if youre that type of addict, you can replace the drugs with something else thats more productive, BUT youll always have that compulsion and always be an addict. I guess it would be better to be addicted to working out than addicted to heroin, but still if you have a true addictive personality youll still obsess about it to the point where other areas of your life deteriorate.

The Closed Guard -
Lucas Maximus -

YES

Do you know what its called?

Sublimation

Look up Mishka Shubaly. He’s a musician and writer. Was an alcoholic and replaced the booze with running. Now he does ultra marathons regularly. 

I