Adidas in BJJ

How do you feel about this? They've been in tkd for a long time. I know when big companies jump into "niche" sports, such as Nike to skate/snowboarding, many people complain that the smaller companies can't compete. Nike came into tkd and has had some success but the smaller companies, at least the good ones, are still around. Are you afraid Adidas will kill the small BJJ brands?

My two cents: They have a lot of catching up to do. I think quality means more than brand recognition in BJJ and people won't pay top dollar for a subpar gi. Phone Post 3.0

they've been in the BJJ game for a long while now.

I remember seeing some of the machados repping for a while and bill cooper used to compete in the early 2000s in an Adidas gi. It's the only gi company I'm truly curious how they feel. I think it's still because I'm still fan boying over the grill rocking it Phone Post 3.0

Adidas also did a collaboration with Isami a while ago, it was basically an singleweave Adidas Judo gi with some big logos on, but made by Isami.

James

Someone at my academy had one 6 or so years ago. The pants ripped in a couple of months but the top held up. He bought it because is was fairly cheap.

A bunch on people at my judo dojo have them. Their lower end gis seem to be much better quality than Mizuno's lower end gis.

I'm not a fan of the stripes on the gi so I don't believe I would buy one unless it was as cheap or cheaper than a Fugi.

I had one years ago as my first gi as it was relatively cheap at the time. I remember it was very baggy, but it was soft as hell. Phone Post 3.0

Is OP referring to Clark Gracie's sponsorship? Hopefully it will eventually provide a platform for bjj to be highlighted a bit more to the masses outside the realm of mma.

ugly as hell

While I haven't always trained regulary in recent years, I still use my 8 years old Adidas judo gi.

Way more durable then the normal bjj gi but a real bitch in summer.

Meatgrinder -

Is OP referring to Clark Gracie's sponsorship? Hopefully it will eventually provide a platform for bjj to be highlighted a bit more to the masses outside the realm of mma.

Yes this is what got me wondering. They seem to be making a marketing push Phone Post 3.0

The guy who runs the Addidas BJJ division, is a brown belt from Gracie Barra. Addidas has a few models of Gis now that are being launched and marketed. They have strayed away from the version seen above as used by Machado.

I remember that I also bought a couple of pairs of Adidas compression shorts once to try out vs the Under Armour ones that I normally buy. The elastic in the waist wore out ridiculously fast, about 2 months in for one pair and about 6 months for the other, and I can't wear them anymore because the waistband just falls down. I hope that the "combat sports" division of Adidas shores up little quality things like this otherwise they won't last long.

I won an Adidas gi back in 2003-2004 by taking 1st in a tournament. I was a white belt, and I was so stoked that I got gold and won a Gi that I wore the Gi at least once a week. Needless to say that the pants ripped after 6 months and the top expired a little over a year later.

It's a natural extension form their Judo Gi's. I'm waiting for Disney to hold their own tournament, that would be perfect!