Adult Green Belt Question?

Daniel/CGJJ - I trained under Mike Yanez of Popovitch lineage. When he gave me a green belt I was told it's the same as a 2 stripe white belt. I after a few year I also got my blue under him. He never charged for promotions. Phone Post 3.0

R there stripes@ any belt with that ranking system Phone Post

A few years ago a young green belt came in to visit and rolled with our two green belts. Both of our boys were 15 and pretty good.  One of our boys did ok and did not get subbed but our other was decimated. I ended up light rolling with the visiting green belt who was very respectful and controlled and was impressesd at his skill level. Our school treats kid green belts like adult purples and the rank is rarely given out. Btw, the visiting green belts name, Keenan Cornelius.

Tboney8669 -
Daniel/CGJJ - I trained under Mike Yanez of Popovitch lineage. When he gave me a green belt I was told it's the same as a 2 stripe white belt. I after a few year I also got my blue under him. He never charged for promotions. Phone Post 3.0

R there stripes@ any belt with that ranking system Phone Post

Nope. Just belts. Phone Post 3.0

FJJ828 - 
shark tank - if someone is promoted from white, how can they still be considered white?

Analogy (not sure if it's a good one):

let's say you are 19 and you have a birthday and turn 20. you are not an adult but there is no way you are a teenager. being a "young adult" still does not quality you as someone who could be considered a teenager. therefore you are an adult...just like a green belt should compete at blue belt.

Uhhhhh... not only are you an adult at 18,  you are eligible for Adult BJJ rank (Blue) at age 16.

So, I am not sure WTF you are talking about...

that's why, above the statement, it says it's an analogy. I'm suggesting that when someone leaves a group (being a teenager) they can't go back to being a teenager. in a jiu jitsu sense, when someone is promoted from white belt onto something else, they are no longer considered a white belt. though they are not a blue belt, they should not be competing in a white belt division.

shark tank - 
FJJ828 - 
shark tank - if someone is promoted from white, how can they still be considered white?

Analogy (not sure if it's a good one):

let's say you are 19 and you have a birthday and turn 20. you are not an adult but there is no way you are a teenager. being a "young adult" still does not quality you as someone who could be considered a teenager. therefore you are an adult...just like a green belt should compete at blue belt.

Uhhhhh... not only are you an adult at 18,  you are eligible for Adult BJJ rank (Blue) at age 16.

So, I am not sure WTF you are talking about...

that's why, above the statement, it says it's an analogy. I'm suggesting that when someone leaves a group (being a teenager) they can't go back to being a teenager. in a jiu jitsu sense, when someone is promoted from white belt onto something else, they are no longer considered a white belt. though they are not a blue belt, they should not be competing in a white belt division.

I get it. But the question was about adult green belts, not kids. They are two completely different animals. The BJJ schools using adult green are using them as a halfway point between white and blue... and yes, the original idea was to also charge money for testing, even if many these days don't.

Also to the poster asking about stripes... it will depend on the school. Yanez came from Popovitch with me and doesn't use stripes but I remember having stripes on my Green. They may have changed as that was back in 1998. I don't use green and neither does my friend/ coach Marcelo. We do use stripes though.

We used green belts. We have 4 stripes on white and 4 on green. It def helped retention.

I disagree about the idea of it being to charge for testings. Instead it was (for us) to set shorter term bench marks for newer students to see progress.

If folks r gonna sandbag they'll sandbag. The green belt is irrelevant in that.

We no longer use it and use a different system. We stopped using it bc of this very question and issue. It simply confused the students and they felt embarrassed. Our new system is better. Phone Post

If I open a gym there will be seven belts between white and blue. Everyone will constantly be told they are "only a few classes away from another promotion". I'm gonna have absurd retention rates. American mental fortitude FTW!

If green is the equivalent of a 2 stripe white, how about we just put two pieces of white tape on the belt instead... Phone Post

I agree. Didn't care for the green belt much myself, but I wasn't going to argue with my teacher.

I've been training under an old school Carlson bb since 2005. He doesn't even do stripes. Our guys are plain white belts forever. But they are hard as fuck when they finally get their blues. That's how it should be IMHO. Phone Post 3.0

BJJBuster - 

We used green belts. We have 4 stripes on white and 4 on green. It def helped retention.

I disagree about the idea of it being to charge for testings. Instead it was (for us) to set shorter term bench marks for newer students to see progress.

If folks r gonna sandbag they'll sandbag. The green belt is irrelevant in that.

We no longer use it and use a different system. We stopped using it bc of this very question and issue. It simply confused the students and they felt embarrassed. Our new system is better. Phone Post

What is the new system?

Akston - 

If green is the equivalent of a 2 stripe white, how about we just put two pieces of white tape on the belt instead... Phone Post

i agree. this is what my analogy was suggesting. if you promoted someone past a point, they can no longer go back. if the green is the equivalent of a 2 stripe white, put the stripes on the white belt and don't promoted to a new color.

totaldude - OK, so the IBJJF says you need to compete at the belt you've been awarded. However, the IBJJF doesn't recognize the green belt as an adult belt. What belt should they compete at? They aren't white, they aren't blue....

Keep the green for the kids.
White

And bring your white belt Phone Post 3.0

Oh and Ribeiro affiliates like TBJJ use up to 4 stripes on white and the green belt (up to four as well) but people can go from white to blue just depends on timing, the individual, etc Phone Post 3.0

Saulo and his affiliates use green belts for adults. Phone Post

I should read the entire thread before posting. Phone Post

The original plan was to use Green as the equivalent of 2 stripe White, but then they still put stripes on the white and then again on the Green.

It's only a money maker if you charge for promotion tests. If you don't, it's just a retention thing.