Adulting School? SMH

Millenials.. what the hell..

Transitioning to adulthood isn't new, but there is a more modern way to describe it: adulting.

Get your car's oil changed? That's adulting. Cook dinner instead of order takeout? That's adulting.

The school offers private social media groups and live events at local bars and restaurants. At these events, attendees can learn skills like how to network as a pro or how to fold a fitted sheet.

Carly Bouchard, 29, sat among a couple of dozen young adults sipping drinks at a Portland restaurant and hoping to uncover their true financial self.

"I'm a financial cripple," Bouchard said.

Although she went to business school, Bouchard said, she now needs the Adulting School.

"I'm still a dolt," she said. "Not an 'A-dult' — a dolt — when it comes to my finances."

Adrienne Abramowitz, 25, watched a demonstration on proper folding and then grabbed a fitted sheet as her friend Emily Rice, 26, coached.

"You put it together, and then you pinch it," Abramowitz said.

But after a futile attempt, they called for help.

Despite the fun vibe, the goal behind the school is serious.

Co-founder Rachel Weinstein got the idea from her work as a psychotherapist. She noticed many of her clients struggled with the transition to adulthood. Things like paying bills on time and choosing a career were difficult for them.

"You know, when you see 10 people feeling like they're the only one, and they're all struggling with the same thing, you think, let's get these people together so they can learn this stuff and not feel so isolated and ashamed," Weinstein said.

They tend to be millennials and women. Lindsay Rowe Scala, 32, said she is trying to figure out how to save for the future and pay off school debt.

"In job interviews, they're always asking 'Where do you want to see yourself in five years?' " she said. "And I never know how to answer that because I'm always thinking on how to survive today and next week and what's coming up."

Holly Swyers, an associate professor of anthropology at Lake Forest College who has researched adulthood, said this stress goes back generations. She said part of the problem is that classes that teach life skills, like home economics, aren't emphasized and there is no dedicated place to learn adult skills.

"We go through this age-graded system, and it tells us just do this and you'll be fine," Swyers says. "And then you graduate from high school or from college, and suddenly, there's no more rules about, if you just do this step, that's what comes next."

The Adulting School has drawn criticism for its perceived coddling. But Swyers said the school deserves kudos for addressing a real problem.

As adults navigate from dependence to independence, Swyers said she would like to see more proactive approaches in helping them accomplish their transition.

**Edited to fix formatting

Link here

the name is kind of stupid, but it's admirable that the mils can admit they have no life skills and want to learn them. their 2 absentee working parents probably didn't teach them much. if they end learning how to manage their finances or make toast, it's not a bad thing.

Their parents should be ashamed. Disgraceful. 

It's a sad state of affairs, but I think this sort of thing is neccessary. Too many 20 & 30 somethings are living in a state of prolonged adolescence because their parents and schools enabled them for too long.

Oil change
Make your bed
Manage you checking account
Pay your bills

They SHOULD be fucking ashamed.

Masakyst - 

It's a sad state of affairs, but I think this sort of thing is neccessary. Too many 20 & 30 somethings are living in a state of prolonged adolescence because their parents and schools enabled them for too long.

We had schoolwork teaching us how to do shit like balance a budget, write checks, balance and check bank accounts, etc, back when I was in 8th grade.

If you need to have a class to learn that shit when you're in your late 20s, early 30s, youve done something wrong.

Making money off snowflakes?!?!? We need to open a school!

Idiots. College was the time when kids were treated as adults so they can start developing to be independent and capable of taking care of themselves and functioning in society. But since we now don't take the kid gloves off until they're well into adulthood, they're realizing they don't know how to operate in the real world.

Maybe there's a beautiful solution to the problem though. I'm going to start a company that links retiring baby boomers who have nothing in saving and can't afford to live on their own, with grown up millennials who need a live-in babysitter to take care of them and help them through life. It'll solve the retiring baby boomer problem and the incompetent millennial problem at the same time.

I might call it Boomer Nannies, or maybe something else if I come up with a better name

Can I just order a round of cyanide martinis for the class and get it over with?  Fuck.  There really aren't words capable of describing this generation.

These millenials and their parents should be ashamed.

The approach seems stupid but it should probably be covered in school how to pay taxes, how to apply for a job etc

sicko - Idiots. College was the time when kids were treated as adults so they can start developing to be independent and capable of taking care of themselves and functioning in society. But since we now don't take the kid gloves off until they're well into adulthood, they're realizing they don't know how to operate in the real world.

Maybe there's a beautiful solution to the problem though. I'm going to start a company that links retiring baby boomers who have nothing in saving and can't afford to live on their own, with grown up millennials who need a live-in babysitter to take care of them and help them through life. It'll solve the retiring baby boomer problem and the incompetent millennial problem at the same time.

I might call it Boomer Nannies, or maybe something else if I come up with a better name
Its a beastie boys song: "booming granny"

scanned but didnt see a price

I remember back in high school when the only people taking Home Economics class were poor people.

I'm 40 and there are tons of people my age that are stupid as hell about a lot of things. Especially technology. If you call them on it, they get mad and pretend that computers and the internet have only been around a few years. At least these dumbasses understand they're ignorant and are doing something about it.

Erocks -

Their parents should be ashamed. Disgraceful. 

FUCKING THIS.

Basic adulting is easy and rewarding ...When the weights on your shoulders and no one else... u figure it out quickly. Protecting people from failure is the root of this.

Obviously a huge fail by parents. BUT, if they're willing and really want to learn to be proper adults, why not encourage this shit?

flemingo -

The approach seems stupid but it should probably be covered in school how to pay taxes, how to apply for a job etc

They covered that in high school for us. And even if they hadn't, my parents did...