Advice for starting 7 yr old in MMA

HYBRID JON -  Kirik, any fashion advise?????

Of course. In a word, kilts.

You think floyd started sparring at 12? kids start sparring as young as 5 in boxing.

SuMBJJ - 
Cat Shannon - Kid's BJJ class, imo.

No striking.

This. Wrestling is great as well... but I don't think it has the martial arts feel your kid is looking for.

WRESTLING, WRESTLING, WRESTLING.

Honestly, no other options then that. It is not taught in a self defense manner, just as a sport, so your son wont get things confused on the playground. But if he actually does need to defend himself, he will have the ability to, without even knowing it.

Plus there is nothing better for teaching him commitment, discipline, respect, team work, individuality, and many other great life lessons.

WRESTLING definitely

USA - Wrestling
Europe - Judo

Wrestling is to hard on the body. He can always wrestle in high school. Judo is best for learning body mechanics

Get him in Judo

hahahaha, wrestling is to hard on the body? HAHAHA, but yeah, try Judo. You can't be serious. In Judo class, you practice throws and being thrown, over and over again.

And the Judo body mechanics do not relate well to anything but Judo. Giving up your back in boxing, wrestling or Bjj, is never a good idea.

As a guy who did traditional martial arts (tae kwon do) from when I was 7 until I was 18, I did wrestling in middle school, and have been doing BJJ, muay thai, and MMA for the last 5 years... wrestling is the way to go. You've heard most of the benefits and they are all true.

My son is 6 and we casually does BJJ here at the house with (since he was 3). He did wrestling this past season for the first time. It really builds mental toughness (not just being tough, but pushing yourself and working through difficult situations). Also, it was pretty inexpensive and there are tournaments every weekend that were only $15 each through USA Wrestling. None of them are mandatory and he learned alot about competing and applying what he learned.

I think wrestling is a fantastic foundation, not just for MMA, but for any sport. Eddie Bravo probably agrees, because he sees so many wrestlers come in to his school and transition so well. I have seen it many times over the years. Not to mention that Eddie was a wrestler before he was a jiu-jitsu guy...

One of the best approaches I have heard from a parent to keep things fresh for your kid and not get him burned out is to enter him into sports "seasonally." Wrestling is a seasonal sport, but even if he does BJJ... only have him do it for 5-6 months, and then take him out and get him into something else (like wrestling, boxing, swimming, whatever). That way he gets hungry to do that sport again when the "season" is over. Plus it gives him a chance to try new things. I have tried that approach with my kids and they seem to like it.

My daughter is 12. She did BJJ for a year and got tired of it. She wanted to do volleyball, so we signed her up for a season. Then she wanted to do track for a season. A couple months ago, she said she wanted to get back into BJJ, so she's been doing it for about 2 months now (and loving it - especially when she tapping out the older boys). Plus it gives them some options and lets them try different things.

Wrestling might be too competitive for him at this age, having never done martial arts. I think you might be better off with a BJJ class.

Update:

I spent Tuesday and Wednesday looking at local options for wrestling or judo, found a great Judo school and signed him up Wednesday night.

He had his first class today and freak'n loved it. He talked about it from the time we got home until he went to bed. I do like what you suggested chadellac, so I'll keep that in mind as this moves forward, maybe we'll move to BJJ next year if he wants.

Thanks!

Dedicated fathers are almost as hard to come by as dedicated children...  You both seem to be lucky.  Keep us posted...

Wrestling & Kajukenbo @ 6yrs old

Go to Mayweather's boxing gym and have him train with 'Cash flow' Mayweather.

In 15 years time, your son will be the best striker in MMA.

I honestly think startng with wrestling is the best idea BJJ the second but striking is alright but at that age sparring really shouldnt be done

This is probably gonna sound strange coming from a post on this Forum, but I'd put a seven year old into a TKD class. He'll learn good coordination, get a good confidence boost, and you won't have to worry about him hurting one of his friends or classmates. IMO, the color belt system, coupled with the quick promotions, are perfect for keeping kids' attention.

When he gets about 10 or so, and can probably understand the consequences a little better, then you can put him in a grappling class where he can learn how to fight functionally a little better.

using a my son as a kid who's development has been documented from age 6 to now hes 16 yrs old ( drake dudley ) .....

i personally would do it the same way we did it . i wouldnt start him off on any formal class ... until he has same basics of sprawl , jab cross , basic positions , basic defense of subs + defense of headlocks .

he learned all this thru playing mma on the living room rug and the trampoline . when he started formal jiujitsu and boxing , he already had some basics and was way ahead of a beginner ( which gives him confidence + makes it funner ) ....

THEN AFTER HE ... understood very well what a good boxer and submission could actually do to him ( ie hurt him , break his arm , choke him out , knock him out and humble himself to tapping )>> then it was time to go wrestling !!!

the reason i say this is because .... wrestling is a super dominant sport . i have found that many young wrestlers close theyre mind off very early to other possibilities and do not think of other arts very highly . wrestling becomes all consuming .
dont get me wrong .... my son is starting on his 8 th yr of wrestling !! he loves wrestling ! he says he will wrestle thru HS . but im very happy he had is mind opened early , was humbled thru playing mma 1st ... submission / jiujitsu and boxing BEFORE HE STARTED WRESTLING ( AGE 9 YRS OLD )

its funny how time changes alot of folks mind .... back in 1996 when my son was 2 yrs old and i was trying to figure how to start my kid .... black belts in jiujitsu almost to a man .... did not think too highly of me taking drake wrestling or training mma .
he did both and has been a very accomplished opened minded kid BECAUSE OF IT .

+ because he wasnt a slave to endless hours of wrestling practice ( early ) lol .... he still had time to learn golf and appreciate the sport of golf ( non violent counter balance to combat sports )

Good Luck , Kirk

Judo is a great choice - great to hear you found a good school...

i'm looking forward to this when I have kids soon too!

RichDalton - WRESTLING, WRESTLING, WRESTLING.

Honestly, no other options then that. It is not taught in a self defense manner, just as a sport, so your son wont get things confused on the playground. But if he actually does need to defend himself, he will have the ability to, without even knowing it.

Plus there is nothing better for teaching him commitment, discipline, respect, team work, individuality, and many other great life lessons.

WRESTLING definitely

This

what ekard 1 said is based off of a vast personal experience ...

many ways to skin a cat BUT open ur kids mind before pigeon holing into wrestling wrestling early weight cutting , early over working , wrestling wrestling , endless hours of practice .... ALL BEFORE THE AGE OF 14 ....

my son started off in wrestling with great takedowns and great takedown defense .... people could not believe he was a jitz kid . who says jiujitsu has to be guard based >> of course to be a super wrestler u have to be and compete in wrestling AS HE DID AND DOES .... but when theyre young , get theyre mind open to accept possibilities ..... MMA training young kids does this like No other combat sport .

i did say train mma not necessarily to have to compete in it .... ill preach this til im blue in the face

MMA training done safely with kids actually heightens theyre coordination level , makes theyre footwork and body movement more fluid , quickens reaction time + has plenty of wrestling elements built into it !

You guys are nuts to be teaching your kids stuff that will allow them to beat the shit out of you!