Advice for your first MMA fight

Hey guys. I've just finished writing a blog post with advice for first time fighters.

Anyone of us who has stepped in there knows how nerve-racking, exciting and fast the experience is.

The article is at http://thecagedtype.co.uk/fighting-talk/big-debut-advice-first-mma-fight/

However, it'd be pretty poor of me to just advertise my blog so let's get some tips going in this thread for anyone who is making their MMA debut.

Most important tip is ENJOY IT! it'll be over before you know it and you'll forever remember your debut as a defining experience.

Give the blog post a read, I'd appreciate the support! Post all your tips here for newcomers to calm their nerves.

Don't kill yourself cutting weight for an Ammy fight. Enough other shit to contend with, without making weight one of them. Phone Post 3.0

Is like losing your virginity. It'll be quick and your performance will pitiful Phone Post 3.0

cardio,cardio,cardio,and sharpen your basics

no it's the other way around cut as much weight as you can so you can have the biggest size advantage possible over your opponent Phone Post 3.0

Just bang bro Phone Post 3.0

Win the title twice but shart your pants once & the world will remember you as a sharter.

chrisbaker - no it's the other way around cut as much weight as you can so you can have the biggest size advantage possible over your opponent Phone Post 3.0
Hmm maybe that's why my career never got off the ground. Well that and my lack of athleticism and dislike of being punched. Phone Post 3.0

Ryan Williams - 
chrisbaker - no it's the other way around cut as much weight as you can so you can have the biggest size advantage possible over your opponent Phone Post 3.0
Hmm maybe that's why my career never got off the ground. Well that and my lack of athleticism and dislike of being punched. Phone Post 3.0

Or maybe your lack of confidence in yourself?

Ryan Williams - Don't kill yourself cutting weight for an Ammy fight. Enough other shit to contend with, without making weight one of them. Phone Post 3.0
I agree 100% Phone Post 3.0

It's like swimming, you gotta dive in head first and go for it. Being being nervous is natural and chances are the other guy feels the same way as you. Phone Post 3.0

Wear socks. Rub feet across mat during introductions. You can now electrocute your opponent. Phone Post 3.0

Dont go in there alone without cornermen or coach. I did that mistake twice. I have had 3 fights, 2 of those I went there alone and just got one of those event guys as my cornerman.

Sure, I lost because I suck and my opponents were better than me, but I still think I would have done better with my coach like I did in my lone win. It's a massive difference to have someone there. It's quite soul crushing to realize when the fight is starting that you are there alone but your opponent has friends, coaches and teammates there...

Get through the first round.

You'll settle in.

Chances are, your opponent is just as nervous as you. Phone Post 3.0

In for knowledge Phone Post 3.0

NEVER BACK DOWN. Phone Post 3.0

1. Relax even if you have to fake it.

2. You can't just have one plan, I'd even go as far to say that no plan is better than one plan.

3. You can't get much stronger the week before the match, Ease up on strength training and recover/heal.

4. You can lose cardio quickly so continue to do fast/hard cardio up until two days before the match.

5. Spar lighter and more often the two weeks before the fight. Harder (never wreckless) sparring was for earlier in your camp and during time without a fight coming.

6. Cutting weight is overrated; Being comfortable is where you can perform your best.

7. Trust your coaches, training partners and cornerman or replace them long before you compete.

8. Leave it out of the judges' hands if at all possible.

9. Enjoy the experience ... ALL OF IT. Training and improving, gaining confidence and experience, making weight and walking to the cage, winning and trying your best to win when it goes the other way.

10. Do it at least twice:  win, lose or draw. The experience is always unique.

www.teamendgame.com