Advice on buying a kayak?

Thread title says it all. Wife wants a kayak. I know nothing beyond the fact that they (presumably) float on water. Please help.

Look up the Lifetime one that has the little battery motor for the wife. I have a little sit on top Lifetime that is cool for me but I would've loved the better one with the motor so I am using my girlfriend's desire for a kayak to purchase a kickass one and let her use it when we are together and use the motor one when I am alone. For you, get two good ones and a cartop carrier.

Also, what type do you want? Something fast to cover distance? Or are you on a moving river with rapids? Do you want to fish? Ocean or lake?

Not looking for anything fancy, just something to paddle around some pretty placid bays and waterways.

Theres 2 types, the sit on and sit in. The sit on is self draining so it stays dry. The only think i don't like about it is i have a bad back and it bothers me after about an hour on it. It feels a little less stable also. The sit in is a pain to get water out of of if a wave gets in. I recommend a mid/low price one. I got mine from Dicks when they had a black friday sale. I think it costs about 300-350. The better ones go faster but their narrow and less stable.

I see your in NYC. I live on LI and would sell you one or two of mine for cheap if you want. I moved off the water after Sandy and rarely use them anymore.

2 Likes

Theres all different types for different water activities. There's basically white water, sit in and sit on. Sit on is for just puttering around in calm water or for fishing. A good Kayak will cost around 1k. But you don't need that for a first time purchase. Also if you live around Rivers and lakes you can buy a cheap used one that someone doesn't use. 350 for a kayak is bottom of the barrel. 

I would recommend one that is difficult to exit and prone to flipping over. 

1 Like

Budget?

Single or tandem?

Get it used. 10,000 people an hour buy kayaks they will only use once and not much to break on a kayak.  Just puttering around a lake get a sit on top.  I’ve got both and only use the sit in if I’m paddling in rivers or if the sound is rough

The_Pundits_Ghost - 

What type of water will it be on?

I’m just guessing but probably what he said in his second post.

I can’t be sure though.

Since this is a kayak thread I'll add a question: my brother has a Pelican 12 he uses to fish ponds and creeks. I just bought him the below. Was that a solid buy? 

SEA DOG WATER SPORTS Outboard Motor 2.5 HP 2 Stroke Inflatable Fishing Boat Engine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G7Z7GJZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_US7YEb3T0FKJK

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishing-Kayak-Trolling-Motor-Mount-Rack-Kayak-Outboard-Motor-Bracket-Holder-Kit-/402207034958

Pelican 12 kayak? or the pelican 12 Jon boat?

I don’t think you can put a 2.5 motor on the kayak

Edit: I guess im wrong

Vig wayee get one with a rudder (sea kayak) it’s much more pleasant.

get used, and if you can get hull that isn’t plastic.     We have sit in, sit on top....poly, and composite....but have used thermoform.

for kids ate the cottage: sit on top poly.

for you paddling small lakes: sit in composite.

for day long paddles or rough waters: sit in sea kayak...with skirt

never get yourself a composite and kid or wife poly....it’s the equivalent of going for a walk with grandma using her walker....you’lll forever feel like you are just waiting for them to catch up and move already.

also, get one with looser primary stability but strong secondary stability imo.  

poly is like paddling a tub around compared to better materials.

Also, unless it’s for a river, get one with:

limited rocker

soft chine

large recreational cockpit

GenErick - Pelican 12 kayak? or the pelican 12 Jon boat?

I don’t think you can put a 2.5 motor on the kayak

Edit: I guess im wrong

kayak

It’s air cooled, basically a weed eater with a prop. It weighs less than an electric trolling motor/battery

The longer it is the more strait it will track as you are paddling. The shortest ones turn easier, but are more challenging to paddle in a strait line. I had one with a rudder that I liked as I could paddle continuously and steer with my feet as apposed to steering by paddling on one side.  

The price you pay makes a big difference, especially for sit in kayaks. If you want to mainly fish and float slow moving rivers, get a sit on. If you want to do whitewater get a sit in. For the latter I’d recommend a getting at least a 10 foot. Old town and Dagger make excellent kayaks for a wide price range.

jpm995 - 

I see your in NYC. I live on LI and would sell you one or two of mine for cheap if you want. I moved off the water after Sandy and rarely use them anymore.

Thanks man, but we’re in Tampa now.