Advice Wanted on Teaching the Darce...

I've always been comfortable in using the Darce from a lot of different positions.  But I have a difficult time explaining/teaching it to others.  With newer grapplers, it sometimes turns into a neck crank.  What tips would you guys offer to prevent the choke from turning into a neck crank?  What are some of the biggest mistakes?

Hard to write down the tech. Need to be visual to be more effective Phone Post 3.0

One of the biggest mistakes beginner make often ist that they put there arm to deep around the neck. IThe little bone on the upper side of your wrist should be exactly at the carotid atery. Many people put the biceps at the side of the neck which works but not as good......

Zero1 -

One of the biggest mistakes beginner make often ist that they put there arm to deep around the neck. IThe little bone on the upper side of your wrist should be exactly at the carotid atery. Many people put the biceps at the side of the neck which works but not as good......

This. Also great point for smaller grapplers, if you are still having trouble feeding the darce from a side control position (arms too short) sit on your hip to get extra length in your arm. I normally finish with the running man after this. Phone Post 3.0

Zero1 -

The "rule of thumb" I use is their thumb should be on the back of the opponents neck. Phone Post 3.0

Bring the shoulder of the choking arm on top of the opponent's shoulder to smash his shoulder into the neck.

Ya, rule of thumb is a big one. Too big causes a crank.

Pull the elbow of the locking arm under the head, and roll the shoulder of the choking arm into their shoulder to finish.

Have them really emphasize just moving the shoulder of the choking arm in a rolling motion, with a slow progression until they get the tap. Phone Post 3.0

This is something I tell people when teaching a choke. I hope this makes some sort of sense.

I use a parner to sit cross legged in front me. I discuss the technique in regards to where pressure on the neck should take place. So I first say the head should not be pushed ear to shoulder.

Then I talk about guillotine position which is head nodding, not trying to pull up the heard through the muscles in the back of the neck. Chokes should also not force the head back, in a chin up position.

Then when we get to the D'arce I talk more about the two muscles in the back of the neck. I think they are called splenius capitis muscle. I talk about how when doing a darce (or any arm triangle), the forearm should not be pressing into these muscles.<br />http://www.innerbody.com/image_musbov/musc41.html

If the forearm is pressing into this muscle...
If it is the arm under the chin, the choking is too deep
If it is the arm over the back, the choking arm is too shallow.

Once the figure 4 has been put on...
The choking arm's hand should be flat palm down on their partners back and it should crawl up the back towards the head maintaining contact.

Once the hand is walked up...
Pinch shoulder blades and expand chest.

This is a very limited description but I hope there is a nugget or two in there.

All that being said, Jeff told me it was a chank. Whatever they tap to is cool. Not the way I roll, but i get it.

Here is jeff talking a bit about the set up (with me as the victim) which precedes everything I said above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYd55rNQfMs

I agree with Omo above...but emphasize the expansion of chest. I have had many training partners with necks like steel ( Minotauro for one) that you cannot choke them in a normal way. However, the added pressure of rolling the choking arm into their shoulder while also EXPANSION of chest will most of the time get the tap and prevent arm burnout.

hope this helps.

The thumb to the back of the neck is huge I'm amongst lions in here as rank goes I like this choke alittle though. I always explain it as a high five hand the thumb always rests to the back of the neck the high five being that the hand is open reaching for the tricep already so you have that open hand look, a quick reference I've just kept as a mental visual for people I suppose. I also more than rolling the shoulder of the Chokeing arm into their shoulder prerefer to roll their topside arm that's trapped with my shoulder almost walking my torso with shoulder rolls so my sternum rest on their tricep trapping the arm resting between the pecs , I feel like I can pressure and steer the now trapped arm alittle better with this control and pressure. For the finish the deep breath to expand my chest is my last step the most important and quickest way I've got anyone to catch on is the lawn mower explanation not only are you pinching the elbows together making the triangle smaller but the choking arms elbow must raise to the ceiling as if "starting the lawn mower" cutting through the neck. I explain that in two ways at the same time start the mower plus look to the sky above the openents feet both creating the same motion so if they remember one or both they are doing the same motion, then comes the deep breath if they aren't tapping already. there is two other things I do also but words I don't feel describe them well enough I'll try one as your raising the elbow starting the mower I roll the choking arms hand towards a palm up position so everything's deep maintain the grip your pinky stays connected and the thumb moves away from the grip on your arm this flares that wrist bone into the neck and causes that extra little bit of discomfort. Basically I tell anyone if you can Rember the high five hand and start the lawnmower motion you should be close or finishing any little bit of these other things are just Tighting it up that extra little bit to assure your happiness. Also I notice a lot of people finishing from the knees I prefer sprawling heavy "dick in the dirt" "pee pee to the pavement" if the first isn't appropriate maybe "clam in the sand" if your teaching the women's class haha. Hopefully any of that helps appreciate all of the input here from my lurking happy to try and contribute with something I've obseessed with hitting from everywhere.