AFC 8 Photos - Brandao VS Avellan

Congrats! That was a fun match to watch, glad that I got to see it via internet..

Marcos, does this fight mean you're going to focus nhb now? I thought you and your brother were trying hard for the next ADCC? Also, does it mean your brother Dave will be fighting nhb in the future?

Charles is correct. They said that the judges would only be looking for strikes - that submission attempts and positions counted for nothing. Their explanation is that in a fight all that counts is damage - so all they were looking for is effective striking.

In the case that neither fighter threw any strikes or the striking was completely equal - then the judges would consider grappling. In other words, if a better striker could not be determined, grappling would be the backup judging criteria.

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with that judging criteria - but I did take it into account before and during the fight.

Whatever!!! :) It was a good fight and its in the past. I'm already looking forward to my next competition, which is a grappling 8-man superfight, the GQ USA Trials. I'm looking forward to hopefully making it to the finals and facing off Pablo Popovitch again - that is all I am thinking about right now.

A rematch with Pedro is a definite possibility - but right now I need some time to rest, I have been training hard for quite a while and my body is going to need a break after this GQ. Besides, I need to go back to school and graduate already. My brother, a year younger than me, already graduated - I need to catch up! :)

Marcos

TeamFokai, I have always been training in MMA. My competition focus has been grappling and it will probably continue to be grappling. I like the grappling because its safer :) The NHB is definitely funner though!

After the GQ, I will probably take a few months off to finish school. I have about two semesters left.

David will be getting into NHB too in the near future. We both still want to get into the next ADCC.

BTW Tubarao, I pick rock... :)

Uggh, I don't know if I like that judging criteria, but now maybe I can understand some of the judges decisions that night. I would like to see the whole show again looking at it from the perspective that the judges were using.

"Actually Marcos landed hard shots standing and on the ground. Pedro went for more subs. In the rules meetings the officials said that subs would not count towards the decision so marcos decided to work for position and strikes more than subs. "

That's really lame IMO.Submissions should count towards a decision.That is ridiculous.

Thanks Marcos.

No problem

Great fight - but one comment I would like to make. I was Pedro's trainer for this one, and we found out about the fight 3 weeks before the date - after returning from the PAN AMs. This is when we began his stand-up training. Now, we are training for the next one well in advance!!

Sounds good Bruce

What the hell kind of judging criteria is that? That is lame.

TTT for the TN Gracie Barra

afc is my favorite show,but they need to work on the judging and add a third round.imo