affiliate schools ,easier promotion?

guy comes in 2 times a year and gets promoted the same time as a guy that been training at the home academy.i can think of a guy that left torrance to open his own school 2 yrs ago,ended up getting his bb the same time as a guy that never left.eddie did it with ari after 1 roll.not saying 1 guy is better then the other,just dont understand it.

I think it's definitely easier, and the quality control is lacking when there are so many affiliates.

On the flip side, some affiliate guys sit at the same belt for years Phone Post

Are u referring to a guy whose name starts with a t with a gym in a town that starts with b? Phone Post

Judging by the black belt test that Royce just conducted in Miami, I don't think it's always the case. 15 guys tested, 6 passed. All affiliates. Phone Post

Robson Moura does the same thing, has green belts for adults and you can only get promoted if u attend the $eminar. Phone Post

Usually the head instructor is at least a brown who says someone's ready to be promoted. Then the head of the affiliation if they trust their word promote the student. Phone Post

checkuroil - On the flip side, some affiliate guys sit at the same belt for years Phone Post

Yep. It goes both ways. Phone Post

This is definitely not a hard and fast rule and as with most things, it depends.

While my head instructor promotes, not the head of the affiliation, he promotes guys much much slower than at the main school, to the point where some of our guys have been promoted because instructors from the head school pretty much forced my instructor do it.

I think it goes by the ways, like cuo said, guys can be stuck at a belt level for much longer also

Not to go off topic, but someone brought up seminar pay for a belt promotion, have a buddy I used to train with, goes to a different school now, very reputable school, up for his next belt level but has to go to a seminar/test by his own instructor, pay for it to get promoted

Is that normal for most schools?

liquidrob - I think it goes by the ways, like cuo said, guys can be stuck at a belt level for much longer also

Not to go off topic, but someone brought up seminar pay for a belt promotion, have a buddy I used to train with, goes to a different school now, very reputable school, up for his next belt level but has to go to a seminar/test by his own instructor, pay for it to get promoted

Is that normal for most schools?

easy solution...don't attend the seminar/test and keep on kicking ass at the current belt level (and higher).

Happens all the time, Affiliates = money. Higher belt means more financial security.

It's all about selling a dream... a dream that you're a part of the "Whichever Gracie Team". People will pay a LOT of money to just believe. They will do anything to have that marquee patch on their back. There is a lot of perceived value to the affiliates. The smart Professors know this and charge money all year long to show up and teach just twice a year! But people don't really care, they're just SO proud to be associated with "Professor _______" and the "Whichever Gracie Team".

Now, I DO understand the inherent appeal, the hero worship, etc. --I get it. Fact is, some of these professors can be really charming, WHILE they are fleecing you. You in turn get to brag that this famous guy is YOUR own teacher ("I see him EVERY year bro, --he totally knows my name!"), when in truth you're paying him money each month while you teach yourself Jiu Jitsu mostly from DVDs, books, Youtube, etc.

shen?!!!!

you DO know my name though, right?!

tell me that i'm not just another money maker for you. i wish to make black sash some day.

unfortunately BJJ is not altruistic and we are subjects in an overly consumerism society. Was it Kierkegaard or De La Rocha that said; "they make you think buying is rebelling"

While we are on the subject of affiliation...

Grand Master Shen,

I may have found a rogue affiliate of yours failing to give you full credit for the techniques in his book.

from the back cover;

"an eighth degree black belt in Kung Fu San Soo, is a lineage holder in several Chinese Internal martial arts styles, and is a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu."

... "and currently teaches martial arts at the Shen Wu Academy in the Southern California area."

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=22010&utm_source=gfeed&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleProductFeed&gclid=CP629JvymrQCFQeynQodalQARg

consumerist
sorry for the mistake masters shen and 12

biggator - unfortunately BJJ is not altruistic and we are subjects in an overly consumerism society. Was it Kierkegaard or De La Rocha that said; "they make you think buying is rebelling"

While we are on the subject of affiliation...

Grand Master Shen,

I may have found a rogue affiliate of yours failing to give you full credit for the techniques in his book.

from the back cover;

"an eighth degree black belt in Kung Fu San Soo, is a lineage holder in several Chinese Internal martial arts styles, and is a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu."

... "and currently teaches martial arts at the Shen Wu Academy in the Southern California area."

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=22010&utm_source=gfeed&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleProductFeed&gclid=CP629JvymrQCFQeynQodalQARg

Tim Cartmell is legit as hell, Cleber Luciano BB and lineage holder.

yes but obviously gm shen went back in time and taught his techniques to the Chinese so that they could spread martial knowledge and Tim's academy carries his name to this day... SHEN wu academy...

really cool book. i liked the conditioning techniques with baskets and barrels like modern strongman stuff.

Actually, the personal info of each and every one of my affiliates; their names, etc. is just a quick zip file away! That's what makes the Shendokan a family.

That is why at the Shendokan we say, "Organized like a family, run like a multi-level marketing scheme". (tm)

Let me tell you this. Jucaou, ATT Atlanta, he's not handing out belts and he doesn't he doesn't charge for affiliation either. Tomorrow a buddy of mine is "testing" for his purple. He'll be getting the shit beat out of him by Bigfoot Silva, Tibau, and Jucaou. His goal is to sweep once and at least lightly threaten a submission. For his purple... Phone Post