Affliction III - August 1st, Fedor vs. Barnett!

mma.fanhouse.com/2009/05/21/fedor-emelianenko-josh-barnett-verbally-agree-to-match-announc/

Affliction's third event, featuring a main event of Fedor Emelianenko vs. Josh Barnett and taking place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., on Aug. 1, should be officially announced within days, a source with knowledge of the situation told FanHouse.

Though neither Emelianenko or Barnett has signed official bout agreements, they have both verbally accepted the matchup, according to the source.

Earlier this week, Affliction President Tom Atencio told FanHouse he would not be able to confirm any details until contracts were officially signed.

The event will air on pay-per-view.

While Emelianenko-Barnett had long been rumored, another source inside Affliction told FanHouse that the organization at least briefly considered a rematch between Emelianenko and Andrei Arlovski (the two squared off in January with Emelianenko winning by first-round KO). Arlovski, however, was recently announced for a June 6 Strikeforce fight with Brett Rogers.

Emelianenko is considered by many to be the top heavyweight in the world, and boasts a 30-1 career record with one no contest. He has not lost a bout since Dec. 2000, and holds wins over ex-UFC champs Tim Sylvia and Arlovski, and heavyweight great Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, among others.

Barnett, 24-5 and a former UFC champion, most recently defeated Gilbert Yvel by submission due to strikes at Affliction 2 in January. He and Emelianenko are longtime friends, but will put their relationship aside for one night.

Emelianenko is expected to go on a U.S. promotional tour in early June before beginning his training camp.

The August 1 show will also likely feature a bout between Brazilian slugger Vitor Belfort and surging star Gegard Mousasi, according to the source, though Mousasi first has a May 26 DREAM fight with Mark Hunt in Japan. Interestingly, for a time, Emelianenko-Barnett and Belfort-Mousasi were both rumored as possibilities at Affliction 2 before the organization changed course.

Meanwhile, Sylvia will likely take on either Paul Buentello or Yvel.

Fedor by TKO, 2nd round.

Vitor vs. Gegard Mousasi too? Fuuuck!

Brigham - 

Fedor by TKO, 2nd round.

this. and i like vitor so ill take him over mousasi via new born calf knockout.

jongkiman - It will be a Stack card again, Barnett vs Fedor is everyone's Dream Matchup, If Fedor wins it I hope next its in Affliction 4

Isn't fedor's contract 3 fights? So, after this, he's a free agent again. Which, I have a feeling, especially if he wins, Dana will be calling.

jongkiman - 
Brigham - 
jongkiman - It will be a Stack card again, Barnett vs Fedor is everyone's Dream Matchup, If Fedor wins it I hope next its in Affliction 4

Isn't fedor's contract 3 fights? So, after this, he's a free agent again. Which, I have a feeling, especially if he wins, Dana will be calling.

Fedor made it clear that unless Dana approved Fedor's Sambo Matches and as it's not an Exclusive contract Fedor would definitely fight for the UFC

if Fedor beats Barnett, I have a feeling that they will definitely find a way to get him in the UFC.

did they mention the weight class for Vitor/Mousasi?

Props to Affliction. They put on great cards.

I thought Mousasi was moving up in weight?

hubris - I thought Mousasi was moving up in weight?

Perhaps vitor is going back to 205.

IrishFighter110 - Fedor should retire after this because there will be noone left to beat that will add to his legacy.

Lesnar, Mir, Kongo, Valesquez, Nog, Couture and Dos Santos are the only relevant HW's in the UFC.

None of em will go undefeated in the next 18 months.

Shane Carwin disagrees.

Dear Fedor:

Be not merciful.

YES!!!

Fedor by ahm-bah...

Barnett by TKO, punches from mount.

Misedukatd - YES!!!

LMAO!

I am actually kind of worried about this fight as I have a house to beside Fedor's left nut and think he's the best fighter in MMA.  Even though Barnett didn't finish Yvel after 9 minutes or so in the mount, I still think that Barnett is a top 3 HW fighter.

slieone - Barnett by TKO, punches from mount.

LMFAO, yeah, right.

"Carwin,Lesnar,Velasquez,Kongo are all Overrated unless they Fight established Top Fighters in Fedor,Barnett,Arlovski,Sylvia,Monson,Aleks,Overeem "

lesnar already beat Herring & Couture at HW. He has already accomplished more at that weight class than either Overeem or Aleks.

Carwin/Velasquez are still new and developing. and we'll have an answer on who might be for real when Cain fights Kongo.

PTA - "Carwin,Lesnar,Velasquez,Kongo are all Overrated unless they Fight established Top Fighters in Fedor,Barnett,Arlovski,Sylvia,Monson,Aleks,Overeem "

lesnar already beat Herring & Couture at HW. He has already accomplished more at that weight class than either Overeem or Aleks.

Carwin/Velasquez are still new and developing. and we'll have an answer on who might be for real when Cain fights Kongo.

True.

Hmmmm looks to be a great card. Affliction has been giving us great PPVs, too bad this may be the end. RIP Affliction as a MMA promotion.