After a Long Layoff..............

I just started training BJJ and lifting weights again. I dont know if it is related to age or whatever but Ive noticed after jits training I am extremely sore for a while. This wasnt an issue when I used to train before.

Is there any supplements that can help with this. Or is there any supplements that should be taken when training hard. I try to train twice a day.

Wow, Grains to?

Ive heard people say they cut out dairy when training but I never really asked why...where do you get your source of calcium and fiber??

I recently was told that amino acids and glucosomine help with soreness and recovery. Anyone with experience with these??

thnx Leigh

Maybe some Icey Hot, ice baths, ibuprofen (or anti-inflammatories), and protein.

Soreness is usually the result of your body being exposed to foreign stimuli (or stimuli it hasn't been exposed to in awhile).  For instance, I haven't done any real bench pressing routines since the summer time, so when my strength workout calls for 4 sets of one-armed bench presses, my chest is SHOT the day after.  That's just the way it goes.

I'd also monitor carefully your 2x a day training routine.  You may want to only do that a few days a week to avoid burnout and reduce injury risk.

"I'd also monitor carefully your 2x a day training routine. You may want to only do that a few days a week to avoid burnout and reduce injury risk."

This is really something Im worried about

Gluten in wheat is highly inflammitory. Reduced inflammation usually results in less soreness.

HERTSWENIP - Gluten in wheat is highly inflammitory. Reduced inflammation usually results in less soreness.

True.  Every now and then if I'm really sore, I'll take 3 ibuprofens about an hour before the workout to help keep inflammation down.

Most important thing is to just take a day off if that's what your body's telling you to do.  Besides, when you don't, you just burn out and hit a point of diminishing returns, anyway, so it's not like you're really accomplishing much by overtraining, imo.

Thank fellas for the advice.... Heres the situation-

I just started BJJ again after a pretty long layoff. I trained alot in my mid to late twenties, stopped around 29 due to work schedules and just started training again at age 34. The thing is I mentally retained everything I was taught. So the technique is there but he cardio is not at all. Im 34 now and its taking alot longer to recover, or .

So Im contemplating running in the morning, im already lifting weights a few time a week(mostly for stress relief) but I am worried about burn out or injury from over training. The goal is to up my Jiujitsu game and drop major weight. Im 260 now, would love to get down to 220/215 area.

any help or oppinions would be very much appreciated

I'd probably save the morning running for now.

In fact, I'd highly recommend looking into T.A.K.U.'s stuff or Ross Enamait's stuff and taking it at your own pace.

Over the summer, I was in my powerlifting phase and weighed 240.  In mid-August, I began Ross E's Inifinite Intensity program, and now, on 10/27/09, I sit before you at 216 lbs., having lost (as far as I can tell) little actual strength and with vastly improved cardio, recovery, and explosive power.  The thing is, all that lifting did raise my maximal strength, without a doubt, but it also rendered unable to physically apply it over the course of a competition, so for me personally, it was of little use.

I truly feel that using stuff like these guys' programs is the way to go.  You'll improve all of the essential areas of the combat game, and then some.  The only catch is, you really have to be cognizant of burnout and its effects, because it's not likely something your body has really seen before, so it's imperative to take it at a steady pace and work up over time.

As far as your goals are concerned, "dropping major weight" will probably instantly "up" your jiujitsu game, as you'll be in much better shape, have better athleticism, and be able to go longer.  The more WORK you can perform, the better you'll get, no doubt.  Work capacity.

Not to mention, these programs and their exercises challenge your body in a lot of ways that traditional lifting methods don't, which helps to strengthen many of your given weaknesses.

For instance, nearly every gym lift in Ross E's program is based upon the use of dumbbells, in order to work both sides of the body fully and to help correct some of the strength imbalances we've built up through compensating for our weak sides with our stronger sides.

This is one of the major things I've noticed since doing the program.

Got a website to the Ross E's material??

http://www.rosstraining.com

He's absolutely awesome.  He gives so much for free, has a great forum, great articles, and you can get all three of his books and a DVD for $71 (shipping included), or just get one.

What was your diet like during that time??? It sounds like it was a good healthy drop in weight in a pretty short time.

Is that program something that works with the BJJ training, like in the mornings or is it a work out that should have its own day set aside?

Thanks for the information WaltJ

My diet was pretty clean, for the most part.  You can do any program you want, train as much as you want, but if you don't get it done diet-wise, optimum results just aren't gonna happen.  There's no way around it.

I try to eat as well as possible.  I've cut out pretty much all soda, beer, mayonnaise, butter, excess sugar, white flour, etc., and make liberal use of black beans, brown rice, eggs, grilled chicken, peanut butter, skim milk, tuna fish, whole wheat cereals, and the like.

His Infinite Intensity program is great, because combat sports is specifically what it's geared for.  His workouts are short, but very high intensity, and leave plenty of room for skill training.

Here's one of his workouts from II-

GPP ("General Physical Preparedness) Workout-

Burpees (as many as you can do) x 30 sec.

Jumping jacks x 30 sec.

Burpees x 30 sec.

Split Jumps x 30 sec.

Burpees x 30 sec.

Jumping Jacks x 30 sec.

Mountain Climbers x 30 sec.

Perform 5 rounds of this circuit with 30 seconds rest between rounds

Core Workout (can be done at the same time or any other time during the day)

Turkish Get-Ups (5 per side)

Saxon Side Bends (6 per side)

V-ups x10 + knee hugs x10 + V-ups x5 + knee hugs x5

*Finish with plank hold until failure

Repeat this circuit 3-5 times

If you did both of these together, you could probably be in and out of the gym within 45 minutes to an hour.

Keep in mind, this is just one day of it.

Every 4-day cycle of his program centers around GPP, strength building, condtioning, skill work, and routines that tie all of these qualities together.

Was this an everyday routine during that time frame you lost the weight?

Good stuff WaltJ, thanks

im going to research that website, i dont know what some of those exercises are but will be giving it a try.

Just eat. Simple as that

Sly, the default program has you training 4 days on, 1 day off, but he fully encourages you to rearrange it as you see fit.  It's very rare (especially since I'm back working now) that I actually do the 4/1 cycle.  It's more like 2 on, 1 off, or 3 on, 1 off, etc.

Sometimes you just gotta take a day or two off.

Sounds Good WaltJ.........thanks for the time and information bro