After college wrestling - pursue Olympics or MMA?

If you were an outstanding wrestler (Div. 1 all-American) nearing the end of your college career, and you had the potential to excel at international wrestling or MMA, which would you choose and why?

Olympics. Far more prestigious accomplishment and could still pursue MMA afterwards. If you won a gold medal, that fame would also help you get a good contract in MMA compared to other guys starting out.

Even considering the commitment and low (no) pay?

MMA. There is room for more than one person in your weight class.

Olympics first, MMA next!

Olympics. There's not an Olympics every month and you compete against the best of the best in your art. It would be a dream come true to go the Hendo route.

Olympics, but there's a lot of variables you'd have to consider on a case by case basis. If I was in the same weight class as someone like Cael Sanderson I might give MMA a try earlier.

The point I was trying to make was:

The Olympic quest - an accomplishment you can take with you the rest of your life - will take years to reach, not pay much if anything along the way - and you might not even medal once you get there.

MMA, although not as prestigious, can be trained for locally and produce relatively quick dividends if you're successful.

Both good, but a rather wide contrast.

Am I assuming that if I try for the Olympics I'm definitely going to make it?? In that case shit yeah go Olympics..

You could very easily come out of college and be a D-1 all American but still only be the 6th or 7th best guy in your weight class

If the trials are the next year, it's a no brainer, but lets frame a better question -

Would you do it with the trials 2 years away

3 years away?

you lost in the trials this year, would you wait another 4 years after college?

No guarantees on either end.

I'd probably do both. Like Gannon said, focus on the trials when the time comes but i"d definitely pursue some MMA in the meantime

WWE

GladiatorGannon - If the trials are the next year, it's a no brainer, but lets frame a better question -

Would you do it with the trials 2 years away

3 years away?

you lost in the trials this year, would you wait another 4 years after college?

Exactly!  The Olympics is as much about timing as it is about skill.  What if you're injured right before the e nationals?  What if there is a phenom in your weight class and the only reason you got your national title was because he gradutated ahead of you.  What if you knocked up your girl and you got a baby coming?  There are so many things that can happen in the four years leading up to the Olympics.

Exactly! That's the issue surrounding the choice. Long term goals (Olympics) probably have a better chance of getting derailed, so they require extreme commitment. Short term goals can require similar commitment, but probably don't hold the same time investment risk.

Unless yuo have a burning, desperate desire to fight professionally, Olympics, then learn how to make a living in a way that doesn't involve getting hit in the face and getting brain damage.

MMA easily.

whats the value of a gold medal?Money wise?Ive always wondered if their was a financial upside.I know endorsements and all,anything else?

akebh - whats the value of a gold medal?Money wise?Ive always wondered if their was a financial upside.I know endorsements and all,anything else?

your choice of coaching job

akebh - whats the value of a gold medal?Money wise?Ive always wondered if their was a financial upside.I know endorsements and all,anything else?

A chance to compete in the Olympics > anything I could buy.