Aging Question

I read a lot about aging a cigar. How can you tell how long to let them age? When you buy cigars from the retailer, arent they already aged by the time they get to the store and then aged longer at the store itself before being bought?

As a newbie, is aging really important? The articles ive read are talking about 3-5 years or longer. My humidor only holds about 20 cigars and really dont know if i would be able to leave them be for that long. Another humidor? Bigger humidor? Wrappers on or off? etc.

Thanks.

that's a question i wanted to know - i've got a couple a boxes of stoggies on the way and i want to know if i should remove the individual plastic sleeves before putting them in the humidor???

also, is it ok to just jamm them all in there together regardless of type or should they be separated by type to avoid somekind of "flavor tranfer"???

Hello Cheese,

Myself I keep the sleeves on when in long storage. I have a small desk humidor that will hold 25 churchills nicely, when I put cigars into it I take the sleeves off..

As for mixing different cigars together not a problem.

All The Best
Steel

Hello Bak..

All cigars get better with age. Cigar tobacco is always in a constate stage of aging up to the point of cultivating, rolling and distributing. What sets a good cigar apart is the aging of the finished product in perfect RH and Temperature conditions, when filler binder and wrapper finally get to "marry to each other"

I wouldnt worry to much about againg your cigars right now,just smoke and enjoy them and learn to store them properly. Once you find the type and style that is pleasing to you then you can start buying them in bulk setting up aging humidors. I have cigars that Ive bought over 15 years ago laying it wait!

My wife keeps reminding me that I have more cigars in my humidors than I'll ever be able to smoke during this life time LOL.

All The Best
Steel

what have i done??

i ordered more cigars than my little virgin humidor could take. i knew i should have ordered the bigger one. its crammed to the top with the reserves in zip locks in the closet....

steel,

do you think i've overburdoned the humidor for its first time?

Hello Cheese,

Nah Bro. nothing to worry about just firem'up and make room for the rest 8-) You can always use ziplock baggies or tupperware to keep those extras.

Since its a new dor' keep a close eye on RH until it "seasons".

All The Best
Steel