Air Pollution Kills 200,000 Americans ever year

I was listening to Tim Ferris's podcast with Arnold Schwarzenegger where the Terminator mentioned this stat, saying it was by far the biggest environmental problem we face today and his current mission to help stop it. He wasn't making these numbers up. Air pollution kills through lung cancer and heart disease. For those that don't die, air pollution is also responsible for a huge increase in asthma nationwide.

"Researchers from MIT’s Laboratory for Aviation and the Environment have come out with some sobering new data on air pollution’s impact on Americans’ health.

The group tracked ground-level emissions from sources such as industrial smokestacks, vehicle tailpipes, marine and rail operations, and commercial and residential heating throughout the United States, and found that such air pollution causes about 200,000 early deaths each year. " 

http://news.mit.edu/2013/study-air-pollution-causes-200000-early-deaths-each-year-in-the-us-0829

. The smog of pollution over LA.

How deadly is this?

To put this in perspective, during the Civil War 155,000 Americans died per year. During WW2 80,000 Americans died per year. So air pollution kills almost as many Americans per year as WW2 and the Civil war combined. 

I guess you all are too busy choking to respond.

What's to be done?

More regulation? Switch to electrical cars?

Leave LA.

How can they quantify that?

Sounds like an alternative fact

But climate change and carbon credits...

StrikingMMA - What's to be done?

More regulation? Switch to electrical cars?

Pretty much.

Tighter emission standards for automobiles, factories, power plants, industrial equipment, Cutting down the sulfur content in gasoline. Tax penalties for big polluters. Switch over to clean energy. 

I'm not really sure how they are directly linking those numbers to pollution. But the exposure to the gasses that are unhealthy to humans has gone down dramatically since the 70's because of stricter regulations. Which would mean that less people should be getting sick as time goes on.

Leading causes of Heart Disease:

• Heart defects you're born with (congenital heart defects)
  • Coronary artery disease.
  • High blood pressure.
  • Diabetes.
  • Smoking.
  • Excessive use of alcohol or caffeine.
  • Drug abuse.
  • Stress.

Leading causes of Lung Cancer:

Smoking

Non-smokers:

Second hand smoking

Radon Gas (natyrally occuring)

Asbestos

Heredity

Air Pollution (It has been estimated that up to 2,000 lung cancer deaths per year may be attributable to breathing polluted air)

How air pollution kills:

"Previous studies have linked both short- and long-term exposure to PM2.5 with increased mortality, through mechanisms such as heart disorders, increased blood pressure, and reduced lung function." As well as make respiratory illnesses worse.

"Among the most populated areas of the country, Los Angeles had the highest estimated rate of deaths attributable to air pollution, at nearly 10 percent; San Jose had the lowest at 3.5 percent."

http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/southern-californians-risk-death-air-pollution-epa-says-14843

I couldn't access the original paper the MIT article is based on, but it seems like they correlate levels of air pollution with premature deaths from heart disease, lung problems, etc. and control for other factors.

Better spend more money on anti terrorism measures! 

sanguine cynic -

How air pollution kills:

"Previous studies have linked both short- and long-term exposure to PM2.5 with increased mortality, through mechanisms such as heart disorders, increased blood pressure, and reduced lung function." As well as make respiratory illnesses worse.

"Among the most populated areas of the country, Los Angeles had the highest estimated rate of deaths attributable to air pollution, at nearly 10 percent; San Jose had the lowest at 3.5 percent."

http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/southern-californians-risk-death-air-pollution-epa-says-14843

I couldn't access the original paper the MIT article is based on, but it seems like they correlate levels of air pollution with premature deaths from heart disease, lung problems, etc. and control for other factors.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

sanguine cynic -

How air pollution kills:

Just as an aside... Your screen name set off a bell in my head... your initials don't happen to be JPD do they?

Are these peer reviews studies?

Altofsky - 
sanguine cynic -

How air pollution kills:

Just as an aside... Your screen name set off a bell in my head... your initials don't happen to be JPD do they?

Nope.