AJ was not that bad on The Sopranos

These two posts on Reddit provided an interesting view on AJ Soprano that I never considered.

"He was not some wannabe mobster douchebag. Until, of course, Junior shot Tony. Even that phase didn't last long. When he was running around with Patsy and Carlo's sons, he was being chill and trying to avoid the mob stuff. In fact, it was when he was finally talked into going on a trip to hurt someone that he got sick about it. He cut them off for good when they jumped the Somalian kid. Obviously, he was dealing with his own issues at the time, too.

Compare him to Jackie Jr., and all his bird chested posturing with Uncle Richie. "He was a friend to my father...I'd do him myself". Damn near getting Matush killed by assuring him he'd gotten an okay from Christopher to sell ecstacy in the Crazy Horse. His Vito Corleone pose in his "sit down" with Matush (hahahah!). He was fucking playing mobster like the kids in A Bronx Tale when they're mimicking Sonny on the corner. Then, of course, his gangster delusions would lead to his demise.

AJ knew who he was. He was just such a little whiner and resembled so much of the stereotypes attached to millennials that be became a punching bag to fans."

And

"AJ gets so much shit, but it's only now in later viewings of the show I feel for him. And I really relate to what he's going through in terms of lacking direction and no confidence in life and not really knowing what to do with yourself. He could be pathetic for sure (that scene where he cries because of the bear was over the top in my opinion; unrealistic and kinda stupid), but he was one of the "purest" characters on the show. A lot of people like to say Adriana was one of the pure ones and the show lost its innocence when she died, but she sort of knew what Christopher was up to. AJ never had a choice, and if the writers had killed him off I think it arguably would've been too much to handle."

Interesting ... never thought of AJ being on the wrong forum asshole.

Yes, I came out of lurking just for this. ^

crawls back into cave

JoshGutz - Interesting ... never thought of AJ being on the wrong forum asshole.

Yes, I came out of lurking just for this. ^

crawls back into cave

Nice lol 

He ended up working within the family business in the end right?I always thought he would never go mobster unless he witnessed his dad murdered in front of him during dinner or something.