AJJ

The Brazillians took jiujitsu from master maeda and improved it and called it "Brazillian Jiu-jitsu".

But now, Americans have taken "Brazillian Jiu-jitsu" and improved it (by adding creativity, wrestling and shoot style stuff), so shouldn't it now be called "American Jiu-jitsu"?

I am just curious.

I'm going to go crawl back under a bridge now.

The brazillians changed both the focus and the theory behind judo when adapting it and calling it bjj. If you look at bjj tournaments vs. judo tournaments you can see the obvious difference behind the theorys.

The art you are practicing depends on what your goal is and your theory behind your technique. I train wrestling and bjj and combine them. I consider what I do to be just that... wrestling and bjj.

Many many brazillian bjj practicioners are now studying wrestling, btt, att just to name a few. That doesnt mean what they do isnt bjj. They just also wrestle.

If say americans were to get the moves of bjj and create tournaments where to goal was to float your opponent above your head for 3 seconds than obviously the theory behind the techniques would change to accomidate the end goal. Than you would have a new sport/art.

Point: If you grapple without a Gi and do leglocks and neck cranks then you probably have strayed away from jiujitsu enough to no longer call what you do jiujitsu.

I go to the book store and I see books that say "Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu" on the cover, but on the inside it is actually mostly wrestling, shoot, and Catch-as-Cacth-Can moces!

LOng live Farmer Burns!!!!!

kansetsuwaza: I disagree.

long live farmer burns.