Alabama barbershop to defy govt orders

https://www.al.com/business/2020/04/shelby-county-barbershop-plans-to-reopen-friday-flouting-kay-iveys-order.html

A Shelby County barbershop is planning to reopen its doors Friday in defiance of the state’s order shuttering non-essential businesses after its owner said it was left “with no other choice.”

The Male Room, a full-service barbershop in the Inverness Corners shopping center off Highway 280, will be offering its services by appointment only starting Friday and with safety measures in place, Scott Farr, president and partner of Ervin, Farr Inc., which owns the barbershop, said in a Facebook post Tuesday. Farr could not be reached by AL.com, and nobody was at the business when AL.com stopped by Wednesday afternoon. A sign hung on the front door said The Male Room was closed due to COVID-19

“Granted, we are not designated, according to the state of Alabama as ‘essential,’ but the income in which we have been deprived through governmental mandate is essential to our staff and their families,” Farr wrote.

The Male Room and its employees filed for stimulus programs intended to blunt the impact of the coronavirus, Farr said, but the benefits may take time to reach the business.

“And while this relief may eventually find its way to us, we are left with no other choice than to reopen for business now,” he said. “So, given the circumstances The Male Room will reopen for business on Friday, April the 17th at 10 a.m.”

Under Gov. Kay Ivey’s stay-at-home order that also bars non-essential businesses like barbershops from operating, businesses and individuals that flout the order may be charged with a misdemeanor and up to a $500 fine. Separate violations are issued for each day the order is defied

“Mitigations” will be implemented during the reopening, Farr said, including limited services (haircuts and neck shaves only), conducting services by appointment only, no more than four staff members will be working and “ample social distancing” between stations. Workers will also be wearing face shields and only credit card payments will be taken.

Employees will not be required to work, and Farr said some have contacted him saying they are uncomfortable working.

The Male Room owner said he understands the plan to reopen will be a controversial one and that the health and safety of staff and customers “are of utmost importance.”

“Every practical precaution in the operation of the business will be utilized,” he said. “We are making this difficult decision because not doing so ensures the business will fail. I cannot in good conscience stand by and voluntarily forego a business that many people have worked so hard to build and maintain.”

Although Farr said he takes “full responsibility” for the decision to reopen, he said that does not extend to his business’ liability should anyone contract the coronavirus.

1 Like

Faders gonna fade.....

1 Like

Services will be limited, by appointment only, no more than four staff members at a time,.......

Oh yeah, i'm sure they'll make back all the money they've lost in no time. They're about to be rich I tells ya

What's the address? I'd be willing to spend my Trump check to fly out and get a trim at this point.

1 Like

i think what this business owner is doing is pretty ballsy. of course it could backfire and he could get fined into oblivion or arrested or maybe it will embolden other business owners to take a similar stand.

So what are they supposed to do? You have health officials that make the quarantine rules without giving a second thought to the guy that owns the shop 

2 Likes

As an owner of a similar business, a tattoo shop, this is such a bad move. It absolutely kills me that even though I am not allowed to operate I still have to pay rent on my spot BBBBUUUTTT there is no way I would risk fines or potentially losing my business by going back to work early. I have 10 people who work for me that depend upon my business as a their source of income. To selfishly decide I’m going to do that and risk screwing up their lives just can’t happen.

benwah -

As an owner of a similar business, a tattoo shop, this is such a bad move. It absolutely kills me that even though I am not allowed to operate I still have to pay rent on my spot BBBBUUUTTT there is no way I would risk fines or potentially losing my business by going back to work early. I have 10 people who work for me that depend upon my business as a their source of income. To selfishly decide I’m going to do that and risk screwing up their lives just can’t happen.

If he's going to lose the business if he doesn't re-open then they employees won't have jobs to go back to regardless.

1 Like

fade away or fade away

Now tattoo shops want to reopen in Missouri

https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/tattoo-shops-opening-back-up-may-1st-with-limits-to-10-people-per-shop-and-wearing-face-masks?bucket&source=facebook-share-button&time=1587007934&utm_campaign&utm_source=facebook&share=3854a7b4-e4b5-4675-bef8-69089558d038

Wayne Glamcock -

fade away or fade away

Poetry bro

Bilge Water -
benwah -

If he's going to lose the business if he doesn't re-open then they employees won't have jobs to go back to regardless.

But it’s not his decision to make. Not sure how it works there but here all barber shops need a business license or the city will shut you down. If that happens you definitely will have no business. If you wait it out you will probably have business. Not a hard choice for me.

benwah -
Bilge Water -
benwah -

But it’s not his decision to make. Not sure how it works there but here all barber shops need a business license or the city will shut you down. If that happens you definitely will have no business. If you wait it out you will probably have business. Not a hard choice for me.

"probably" doesn't pay the bills and keep folks employed. 

Al Cappucino -
benwah -
Bilge Water -
benwah -

Well let's talk about the definitely. If you definitely get closed or lose your license what is the result? Moving your business and starting a new one? Losing your security deposit at your current location? How much would it cost to move your entire business, apply for a new license, sit on your hands waiting for the overwhelmed bureaucracy to approve your license, sign permits, change all your social media, new business cards etc..not to mention all your utility accounts would have to be stopped and start new service on that new location. And if you were a sole proprietor and your name was on said business that was closed by the city goooooood luck getting a new license.

Believe me, as an owner of a business that is adversely affected by all of this I can't wait to get back open. While I am not allowed to work my business landlord still wants 100% of the rent. The County still wants their property tax on my house. Chase has frozen mortgages in California and New york yet here in Illinois, I still have to pay. IRS still wants their money too. I am literaly out $20,000 in the few weeks I've been sitting on my hands. To se the savings I have tried to amass for my children's future slip away is maddening. But I know the game, especially here in Chicago. We have a health inspector who can be brutal, if she finds out you opened early you are done. I have to be patient and wait. 

Male room lol

2 Likes

It’s a tough decision. I absolutely see where people are coming from. Unfortunately for this business, if they’re the only ones doing it, they’ll be made an example of. It would take business owners all coming together and defying orders to reduce the consequences. 
The government made these orders with no thought to the long term effects on people’s lives. So business owners are left with the choice of abiding totally and facing financial ruin likely for decades of their life or defying orders and taking reasonable precautions while trying to protect your financial future and your family. 
If the government wants to step in and force people to close their businesses and their livelihood, they need to be willing to pay up. You can’t legislate people into bankruptcy and expect them to just lie down and take it. 

NerveBlock -

It’s a tough decision. I absolutely see where people are coming from. Unfortunately for this business, if they’re the only ones doing it, they’ll be made an example of. It would take business owners all coming together and defying orders to reduce the consequences. 
The government made these orders with no thought to the long term effects on people’s lives. So business owners are left with the choice of abiding totally and facing financial ruin likely for decades of their life or defying orders and taking reasonable precautions while trying to protect your financial future and your family. 
If the business wants to step in and force people to close their businesses and their livelihood, they need to be willing to pay up. You can’t legislate people into bankruptcy and expect them to just lie down and take it. 

This

I know how they feel and won't criticize anyone trying to meet payroll while maintaining social distancing.

benwah - 
Al Cappucino -
benwah -
Bilge Water -
benwah -

Well let's talk about the definitely. If you definitely get closed or lose your license what is the result? Moving your business and starting a new one? Losing your security deposit at your current location? How much would it cost to move your entire business, apply for a new license, sit on your hands waiting for the overwhelmed bureaucracy to approve your license, sign permits, change all your social media, new business cards etc..not to mention all your utility accounts would have to be stopped and start new service on that new location. And if you were a sole proprietor and your name was on said business that was closed by the city goooooood luck getting a new license.

Believe me, as an owner of a business that is adversely affected by all of this I can't wait to get back open. While I am not allowed to work my business landlord still wants 100% of the rent. The County still wants their property tax on my house. Chase has frozen mortgages in California and New york yet here in Illinois, I still have to pay. IRS still wants their money too. I am literaly out $20,000 in the few weeks I've been sitting on my hands. To se the savings I have tried to amass for my children's future slip away is maddening. But I know the game, especially here in Chicago. We have a health inspector who can be brutal, if she finds out you opened early you are done. I have to be patient and wait. 

sorry to hear this man. I work for bishop and inkeeze and all our artists and shops worldwide are hurting. we also own the vatican tattoo shop in oc and ours is shut down now as well.

1 Like

What he is doing sounds completely reasonable. This is the way businesses should be operating. 

I think we’ve all seen the seriousness of th situation and that face masks and distancing work. 

I hope the govt doesn’t make an expample of him other than this is exactly what should be done moving forward.