Alan wake

hear some info on alan wake coming to a PC or 360 near you (by the way im super hyped for this game , so you should to)! :

http://www.hookedgamers.com/forwarder.html?http://www.hookedgamers.com/previews/2006/12/alan_wake/

Next gen gaming
I'm sure most of us have had those dreams in which we try to imagine games and gameworlds that the next generation computers, or the generation after that, will allow us to play. Well, you don't need to dream any longer. Alan Wake is coming. And, quite co-incidentally, he also has dreams. Pretty bad ones.

Remedy Entertainment and Microsoft Game Studios are currently working on one of the biggest game projects of our time, named after the hero, Alan Wake. Remedy Ent., known for their Max Payne games, have left the action genre behind them (having sold the character and concept to Take Two) and are working on a game that will be a genre of its own: a psychological action thriller that takes place in a a vast, open-ended environment.

Nightmares of a horror author
Alan Wake was a writer who had tried to make it in the business for several years without any big successes. Then he met a girl called Alice and started having strange nightmares. Despite the nightmares, his life was good and he eventually wrote a best-selling novel, using his disturbing dreams as an inspiration. But after he had finished his book, Alice suddenly disappeared without a trace, in a manner that bore a strange resemblance to what had happened in the book that Alan had written. Thinking that he might be somehow responsible, Alan starts to suffer from insomnia and feelings of guilt.

Enter a famous sleep clinic in the out-of-way town of Bright Falls, which is Alan's last hope of getting some actual sleep. After signing in on this sleep clinic, Alan is once again able to get some sleep, but the story is far from over. He also starts hallucinating, seeing visions of Alice, and waking up to find notes in his notebook that are written in his own handwriting but that he could swear that he has never written. And, what's more disturbing, these mysterious notes seem to be prophecies of what is to come. This Alan learns when he picks up a hitch-hiker who dies violently only a few moments later, as predicted by one of the notes Alan has written.

continued...

Gameplay
The game is presented in a third-person view that is wholly taken up by the main character and his surroundings, meaning that you will not see any conventional HUD on the screen, telling you about the equipment that you have or your current health or any of the nonsense that might make the game less immersive. Instead, all your attention will be directed to what happens in the world around Alan Wake, as he tries to understand what his dreams and hallucinations are really about - if they are about anything. It is the character's introspective voice and brief written notes on the screen that tell you all that you have to know in order to play the game.

The storyline is divided into episodes. Whereas the Max Payne games played like feature movies (and were often accused of running too short), Alan Wake resembles a modern, continuous-plot TV series with separate episodes. Some of these episodes end in cliffhangers, while others explore the character and background of Alan Wake himself. However, the episodes themselves are very free-form and non-linear, so that you can spend time exploring the game world instead of feeling that you are merely looking at an episode of a TV series.

Much of the adventure takes place during nights, and this is when the game will be at its creepiest. During daytime, Bright Falls may seem like the veritable American dream town, but during nights the shadows themselves seem to come alive, and all of them are coming after Alan Wake. The borders of hallucinations and reality seem to break and only light will show how things truly are. Light is the only thing that makes the monsters that follow Alan vulnerable. Interestingly enough, Alan himself has been hyper sensitive to light since he was born... Alan Wake breaks every boundary when it comes to graphics and special effects. The developers were unable to find an existing engine that they could use for the game and had to make their own from scratch. And when you see the gameworld in motion, you will understand why this is. The gameworld is a fully realised area of 100 square kilometres (38.6 square miles) representing the town of Bright Falls, in the state of Washington. The graphics department report that they took over 40 000 photos of different areas around the north-western Washington, USA, in order to achieve the level of detail and realism in the game, and that they will still need at least as many more photos until they are finished.

This level of commitment really shows in the game. The town and the nature around it are more realistic that anything we've seen to date. The draw distance of 2 kilometres (1.2 miles) ensures that buildings and trees will not just pop up out of nowhere as you cruise down a mountainous road and admire a view of a beautifully rippling lake surrounded by mountains on your left. Try to imagine this scene and add to this a realistic movement of the sun on the sky (and resultant shadows cast by the mountains and every other item in the landscape), sunsets and sunrises as well as eerie night-time lighting from street lamps and flashlights. Now, try to throw in ultra-realistic fog effects and twisters that rip apart houses piece by piece, sucking them up to the sky and throwing them around the landscape. If you cannot imagine anything like this being achieved in a computer game, then you have to think again. The screenshots accompanying this article are but a pale imitation compared to what these scenes look like on-screen, calculated and rendered in real-time. And all this with no load times as you move around the gameworld and perfectly smooth rendering whether you are inside a room, or standing on a hilltop, with a great vista on the background.

Killing you softly... with my specs
After reading all of the above, I'm sure you are beginning to suspect that this game will not run on just any computer. And you would be right. Alan Wake pretty much breathes Next Generation. The developers have stated that the game will not run on any single-core platform, although it might just about work (with reduced graphics and physics, of course) on a Pentium-4 with Hyper Threading enabled. What the game has been thus far demoed on has been a heavily overclocked 3.73 GHz Core 2 Quad system. This is simply because in the most intensive sequences, such as when a twister is running through a trailer park, the real-time physics calculations alone will use one of the processor cores, leaving the rest of the necessary simultaneous processes to the remaining processors.

But rest easy. You will have time to buy that over-the-top computer, or an Xbox 360, before this game is released, probably some time in 2008. Even the year has not been confirmed by Remedy Entertainment, however. Rather, they have stated that they will not hurry this game out to meet any deadlines, but work on it until it is ready.

some pick that made me go WOW:

http://www.hookedgamers.com/previews/2006/12/alan_wake/image07.jpg

http://www.hookedgamers.com/previews/2006/12/alan_wake/image08.jpg

http://www.hookedgamers.com/previews/2006/12/alan_wake/image06.jpg

FRAT. The clip is amazing... When the car lands from the Torando, that's just crazy.

I'm afraid the 360 version will be hugely downgraded, but hope I'm wrong.

The developers said that there won't be much difference between the two... but I think you are probably right orcus.

Yeah, they said FEAR would look better than the PC version and it looks like shit. How Monolith managed to put out a running-through-abandoned-offices simulator that looks 100x worse than the running-through-abandoned-offices simulator they put out a year ago (Condemned at 360 launch) is beyond me.

Monolith didn't handle the 360 port, another studio did.

Sierra/Vivendi owns the FEAR games, I don't think Monolith will work on any FEAR related products, be they sequels, expansions, or ports, from now on.

orcus is correct.

Saw 360 FEAR on full 1080 and I wasn't very impressed at all.

Well, like I said, Vivendi just got some small studios to do it on the cheap.

"I'm afraid the 360 version will be hugely downgraded, but hope I'm wrong."

Me too.

Did fear look that bad to you guys?

It looked ok to me, I enjoyed it immensely.

Only compared to my beasty PC I guess. Comparing it to xbox 1 I guess is impressive.