Alaska Fishing (grayling) - Anybody been?

To be honest, I'm pretty bummed out. Booked this vacation a while ago to do the whole bonding thing before my son goes into high-school this fall. Leaving a week from today to a cabin for what was supposed to be a long weekend of King salmon fishing. Got an email today saying the season has been closed by emergency order. Only thing allowed now is Arctic grayling and chum salmon. I've never actually been fishing for any of those TBH, but it just doesn't sound quite as intriguing.

TMA Phone Post 3.0

Never been but grayling are a cool looking fish. Sucks about your trip though. Are you fly fishing? Phone Post 3.0

JoeMimic -
Sennin - To be honest, I'm pretty bummed out. Booked this vacation a while ago to do the whole bonding thing before my son goes into high-school this fall. Leaving a week from today to a cabin for what was supposed to be a long weekend of King salmon fishing. Got an email today saying the season has been closed by emergency order. Only thing allowed now is Arctic grayling and chum salmon. I've never actually been fishing for any of those TBH, but it just doesn't sound quite as intriguing.

TMA Phone Post 3.0
Where are you fishing? I'm up in Anchorage and i haven't heard squat about Kings being shut down. Phone Post 3.0
Just outside of Fairbanks. Sister lives there and hooked it up for us. Phone Post 3.0

Phuckles - Never been but grayling are a cool looking fish. Sucks about your trip though. Are you fly fishing? Phone Post 3.0
Yep, fly fishing, never been. Grew up in Hawaii fishing in the ocean, but never in a river. Phone Post 3.0

Sennin -
Phuckles - Never been but grayling are a cool looking fish. Sucks about your trip though. Are you fly fishing? Phone Post 3.0
Yep, fly fishing, never been. Grew up in Hawaii fishing in the ocean, but never in a river. Phone Post 3.0
If that backfires I know an amazing place in Colorado. Trout fishing but am amazing experience for what you are trying to do.

I also would suggest doing some casting lessons at your local shop. Many shops do them weekly. Phone Post 3.0

** King Salmon Fishing is closed by emergency order for the 2015 Season in the Tanana River Drainage **
Link to ADF&G website here

I think it's only in this spot maybe? Just happens to be the place we are going. Phone Post 3.0

Phuckles -
Sennin -
If that backfires I know an amazing place in Colorado. Trout fishing but am amazing experience for what you are trying to do.

I also would suggest doing some casting lessons at your local shop. Many shops do them weekly. Phone Post 3.0
It's a package deal. Gear, lessons, transportation, cabin. VU anyway though. We're still gonna do it and have a good time. Was just a little letdown when I saw the no king salmon thing though. I've been kinda hyping him up with that. Phone Post 3.0

JoeMimic -
Sennin - ** King Salmon Fishing is closed by emergency order for the 2015 Season in the Tanana River Drainage **
Link to ADF&G website here

I think it's only in this spot maybe? Just happens to be the place we are going. Phone Post 3.0
That sucks. Especially since there are a ton of places to catch Kings Phone Post 3.0
Maybe we'll add a day and venture elsewhere after getting the hang of it. Phone Post 3.0

Eggbert - Mosquito fly or dragonfly nymph. Used to pull grayling out of the Yukon river as a kid Phone Post 3.0
VU Phone Post 3.0