Aldo Up to LW if he wins tonight?

Made a thread about the implications at LW, FW and BW if Aldo wins tonight and moves up to LW as he has been a possibility for a while which got 1 post (from myself as a TTT, lol).

But....assuming he wins tonight, any word on whether he may make the move up after that? That of course opens the door for Barao to move up to FW as he has also mentioned he would like to do if Aldo moves up, which then makes for new matchups in 3 divisions with Aldo taking on Pettis, the long list of FW contenders from Mendes, Swanson, Lamas, TKZ, to have Barao in the mix and then Faber possibly staying in title contention (assuming he loses tonight) and possibly winning the strap if Barao moves up...setting up the rematch with Cruz (if he is able of course).

Im excited about this potential shake up. Anyone else?

No.

TwentyNineTwentyEight - 

No.

Cant see why anyone wouldnt. Do you want to see him stay at FW? Im curious to see how his cardio and power both hold up at LW. Im guessing still good but can he get the strap at 155.

I do think Mendes has a good shot at him if that rematch happens at FW. Perhaps Mendes best fight at 145 is Edgar, forgot to add him in that FW contender list.

Throwin'Knuckles - 

Aldo going to 155 would be huge. I don't think he gets the respect he deserves at 145. I like the fight with Pettis. Also would love to see him fight Nate Diaz. 

Yeah, i guess its because he hasnt been as kick ass in the UFC as he has in the WEC but he's still winning like champs do when shit happens like in the TKZ and Hominick fights. Really seems that language and shit talking social media skills matters big to American fans though. Aldo's fight should be big to them but yeah he isnt on the radar enough.

Wasa-B - 
TwentyNineTwentyEight - 

No.

Cant see why anyone wouldnt. Do you want to see him stay at FW? Im curious to see how his cardio and power both hold up at LW. Im guessing still good but can he get the strap at 155.

I do think Mendes has a good shot at him if that rematch happens at FW. Perhaps Mendes best fight at 145 is Edgar, forgot to add him in that FW contender list.

There are weight classes for a reason. I believe he's a true 145'er. Could he move up and be successful? Sure, in some match ups, but, I don't feel like he would have the same success if he would stay in his PROPER weight class. So no, he shouldn't move up.

He's actually a pretty big FW and that is effecting his cardio as i believe he has had some trouble making it over the recent years. I think the size gap he had on Edgar wasnt too far from what Edgar had against other LWs. Pettis is not that big either. He has trained with Gray and as one of the bigger LWs, im sure he can size himself up size/power wise with him.

Not sure what someone's "proper" weight class is when they are getting to big for it and have to move up. that does happen.

Wasa-B - He's actually a pretty big FW and that is effecting his cardio as i believe he has had some trouble making it over the recent years. I think the size gap he had on Edgar wasnt too far from what Edgar had against other LWs. Pettis is not that big either. He has trained with Gray and as one of the bigger LWs, im sure he can size himself up size/power wise with him.

Not sure what someone's "proper" weight class is when they are getting to big for it and have to move up. that does happen.

I see your point, but, I feel that he's the Champ and he should keep it as long as possible before moving up.

Well, if you add the time he was WEC champ which is pretty much the same belt, he's been champ for quite some time. I guess it comes down to contenders though. If he beats Lamas, there is rematches with Mendes and/or Swanson. Mendes is def better now than when he fought Aldo.

If Jeremy is coming down from 170lbs to fight at FW each time, then Aldo is in the right weight class. Although I would enjoy seeing him campaign at LW, he has some great matchups awaiting a weight division above.

"Sounds like we gotta fight."

Mix6APlix - 
Throwin'Knuckles -

Aldo going to 155 would be huge. I don't think he gets the respect he deserves at 145. I like the fight with Pettis. Also would love to see him fight Nate Diaz. 

Aldo vs Nate would be awesome. Phone Post 3.0

All I can think of is cerrone putting diaz down with leg kicks.

It makes sense. Aldo's looking at rematches now going forward and thomson losing left LW with no contender on a win streak.

I don't even care. Aldo is barely more entertaining than GSP. Don't even want to watch him anymore. Phone Post 3.0

With backstage people tweeting that Aldo and Barao were BOTH ~160 right before the fights, I don't see that Aldo is the one who needs to move anywhere. 15lbs is NOT a lot to be cutting at 145. 

How Barao can cut almost 25 is baffling at such a small size. That's 15%. Sheesh. 

The cut is killing him. He would make an example out of Pettis and look like the Aldo from the WEC days Phone Post 3.0

rsbones - I don't even care. Aldo is barely more entertaining than GSP. Don't even want to watch him anymore. Phone Post 3.0
You for real homey? Phone Post 3.0

I don't think anyone can touch him at 145 and at 155 he would probably be a favorite over almost everyone if not everyone. His takedown defense is phenomenal, his standup is arguably the best in the entire sport, and supposedly his JJ is awesome as well. He is also one of the fastest fighters in the sport.

Frankie couldn't get a single takedown on Aldo, and Frankie already showed he can outwrestle everyone at 155, including Maynard and Henderson (ie get more takedowns while being taken down less).

Pettis is the only guy I see being a threat to Aldo at 155 right now.

Not sure if the cut is a big deal for these guys or not, but the picture of Barao at weigh-ins was nuts.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&thread=2282984

Neither Barao nor Aldo looked that interested about moving up in weight during the post-fight conference. I thought FOR SURE that Aldo would show some more emotion/excitement about fighting Pettis. Huge opportunity to sell the fight. If I were Aldo in Rogan's post-fight in-ring interview, I would have said only two words--Anthony Pettis--and then walked out. In contrast, when someone asked Barao about moving up to 145 if Aldo vacates, he was like... thinks about it for a few seconds... naaaaw.

I think both of these guys want to just stay where they are and run up the bank numbers. Not that I blame them. But there are definitely more popular options out there.

orcus - I don't think anyone can touch him at 145 and at 155 he would probably be a favorite over almost everyone if not everyone. His takedown defense is phenomenal, his standup is arguably the best in the entire sport, and supposedly his JJ is awesome as well. He is also one of the fastest fighters in the sport.

Frankie couldn't get a single takedown on Aldo, and Frankie already showed he can outwrestle everyone at 155, including Maynard and Henderson (ie get more takedowns while being taken down less).

Pettis is the only guy I see being a threat to Aldo at 155 right now.

I don't think Aldo is invincible, I think someone who stays on him can beat him. But if it turns into a pot-shot battle, and I think it will, then I don't think anyone, including Pettis, has anything for Aldo's speed.

Aldo actually looked disconcerned last night against Lamas. He knew very early it was going to be five rounds of easy sparring, big paycheck.

Mcgregor might be able to give him fits with his striking. It'll be a Shogun-Machida kind of matchup. Conor boxes better than anyone at 45 and he's got some crazy kicks. Phone Post 3.0