Aleksander Doba

The New York Times published this short piece over the weekend in their magazine.

Aleksander has kayaked the Atlantic three times. The story is an interesting read. I admire his approach to life.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/22/magazine/voyages-kayaking-across-ocean-at-70.html

Zned - 

That guy is in astonishing physical condition.

blood fist - 
Zned - 

That guy is in astonishing physical condition.

Hr drank 3 jugs of wine while paddling across the north atlantic.

His phone wasn't working, and a Greek ship tried to rescue him.

He told them to hit the road and finished his paddle to France form New Jersey.

jimmy23 - 

Dam!

IT was a nice read with a cup of coffee.

I assume he is well knon, but it was the first I ever read about him.

they had this guy as an honored guest at the annual paddle expo in Jersey a couple of years ago

had him sign the kayak i bought there, but it has faded over time

This is a really cool story. Thanks for sharing!

You might be interested in learning about Don Starkell. He wrote a book called Paddle to the Amazon that is absolutely fantastic. He and his son canoed from Winnipeg, Manitoba to Belem, Brazil.

https://www.amazon.ca/Paddle-Amazon-Ultimate-000-Mile-Adventure/dp/0771082568#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1522078171602

"It was crazy. It was unthinkable. It was the adventure of a lifetime. 

When Don and Dana Starkell left Winnipeg in a tiny three-seater canoe, they had no idea of the dangers that lay ahead. Two years and 12,180 miles later, father and son had each paddled nearly twenty million strokes, slept on beaches, in jungles and fields, dined on tapir, shark, and heaps of roasted ants. 

They encountered piranhas, wild pigs, and hungry alligators. They were arrested, shot at, taken for spies and drug smugglers, and set upon by pirates. They had lived through terrifying hurricanes, food poisoning, and near starvation. And at the same time they had set a record for a thrilling, unforgettable voyage of discovery and old-fashioned adventure."

He also ended up kayaking the Northwest Passage later on, and lost several of his finger tips and toes.

pbody - 

This is a really cool story. Thanks for sharing!

You might be interested in learning about Don Starkell. He wrote a book called Paddle to the Amazon that is absolutely fantastic. He and his son canoed from Winnipeg, Manitoba to Belem, Brazil.

https://www.amazon.ca/Paddle-Amazon-Ultimate-000-Mile-Adventure/dp/0771082568#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1522078171602

"It was crazy. It was unthinkable. It was the adventure of a lifetime. 

When Don and Dana Starkell left Winnipeg in a tiny three-seater canoe, they had no idea of the dangers that lay ahead. Two years and 12,180 miles later, father and son had each paddled nearly twenty million strokes, slept on beaches, in jungles and fields, dined on tapir, shark, and heaps of roasted ants. 

They encountered piranhas, wild pigs, and hungry alligators. They were arrested, shot at, taken for spies and drug smugglers, and set upon by pirates. They had lived through terrifying hurricanes, food poisoning, and near starvation. And at the same time they had set a record for a thrilling, unforgettable voyage of discovery and old-fashioned adventure."

He also ended up kayaking the Northwest Passage later on, and lost several of his finger tips and toes.

Fantastic thank you!

I am not much into paddling or boats, but I love stories of adventure.

That guy is fuckign jacked for any age, let alone 70

Sub