Alexander Gustafsson's comeback fight reportedly against Ben Rothwell

The UFC is working on a heavyweight matchup between Swedish MMA legend Alexander Gustafsson and American veteran Ben Rothwell.

Both parties have agreed to fight on the UFC Fight Night card on May 21, Frontkick.online confirmed with sources. A venue has not yet been determined for the event.

This will be Alexander Gustafsson’s second heavyweight fight as he returns to the octagon after nearly two years on the sideline. In his most recent bout, ”The Mauler” lost to former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum by first-round submission.

Gustafsson previously competed in the light heavyweight division where he challenged for the belt three times, including two razor-close decision losses to Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier. His first title fight against Jones is still considered one of the best fights of all time and was recently inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame.

1 Like
3 Likes

I’d like to see it.

3 Likes
11 Likes
1 Like

Zzzzzz

4 Likes

1 Like

Always loved this dude…and not because he looks like my gigantic twin brother

2 Likes

Pointless match up

1 Like

randall park whats the point GIF by The Orchard Films

Damn, how is rothwell going to make 205?

Didn’t Gustafson already have a HW “comeback” fight vs Werdum

5 Likes

Yeah…he got arm barred quick

2 Likes

Gus returns. Gus disappears. He comes back again.

He’s just gotta get this comeback thing right. Maybe Rothwell will be the one.

2 Likes

Gus has no business fighting as a HW…
neither does Jones, really…

5 Likes

Makes sense to me. He wants that fight with jones back and HW is the only road to it.

He should fight Jon Jones at heavy weight!

2 Likes

I like Ben but he is past his prime by a bit. This might be a good fight. Ben is huge and hits hard still

1 Like

I like it, I hope Gus makes a lot of LHW realize that they should not fear the HW division. I thought Gus was doing ok against Werdum and it was a fun fight to watch. Especially considering how awful the HW division is, I welcome it. Hell, even Brandon Vera in his last UFC fight looked good back at his natural weight. Mind you, that was 9 years ago and he was 35 then.

I just feel a decent about of LHW wouldn’t do too bad at HW.

1 Like

Ben is going to big brother him.

2 Likes