Alien Covenant was meh....

... meh

I can't totally disagree and I love Ridleys work in general but I think it did a good job of serving as a Prometheus serial and Alien prequel. It did gives us some answers but not enough. I want to know more about the Engineers, personally. 

I think his next movie in the franchise is actually set between Prometheus and Covenant. It's an odd way of working with the timeline but I am glad to see his original concepts come to life unlike someone like George RR Martin who risks dying before completing his magnum opus. 

" I want to know more about the Engineers, personally. "

I concur

My favorite scene in the movie was the historical flashback.

forumnewb - " I want to know more about the Engineers, personally. "

I concur

I'm drawing a blank, which flashback was that exactly?

Well if it was meh then it's a big improvement over prometheus being completely wtf?

It sucked.  Ridley Scott is ruining his own original work. 

So David created the Aliens that we know from the original movies 18 years before Alien 1.  But in Alien we see all those Alien eggs and that dead Engineer/Space Jockey that had been fossilized and dead for several decades or more. 

Plus from Prometheus we saw a statue or w/e of an Alien soooo what are they trying to tell us.  And we learned nothing new about the Engineers in Covenant.  What a waste of their character...

Vegito Blue -

So David created the Aliens that we know from the original movies 18 years before Alien 1.  But in Alien we see all those Alien eggs and that dead Engineer/Space Jockey that had been fossilized and dead for several decades or more. 

Plus from Prometheus we saw a statue or w/e of an Alien soooo what are they trying to tell us.  And we learned nothing new about the Engineers in Covenant.  What a waste of their character...

In Aliens 2, there was a queen laying down all those eggs. Also in Promethius a giant facehugger mauled the pissed off engineer and a weird Alien popped out of his gut. I don't see how David created anything the Engineers hadn't already done. Even though it's apparent in Promethius that there was a mishap with the engineers as depicted in the hologram recordings getting wasted by their own biological Frankenstein, who's to say they hadn't done it right before?

Hell they allegedly made us and probably have made all kinds of biological creatures. That's the main complaint I hear, they shed ZERO light on any of that important info in this sequel.

I agree. Meh. Felt like this move just rehashed a lot of what we have already seen.  

Am I the only one that is tired of the 'female hero' theme these movies have? 

And of course, the white man is an inept leader.  

Bah! 

I liked it.

warfrog - 

I agree. Meh. Felt like this move just rehashed a lot of what we have already seen.  

Am I the only one that is tired of the 'female hero' theme these movies have? 

And of course, the white man is an inept leader.  

Bah! 

I dunno about 'female hero' She was saved by Walter, the male crew members with guns went down shooting to get her out of there, and then Kenny Powers helped her blow the Alien out the lock. I think the reason a female usually survives at the end is because the rest of the crew is putting their lives down first.
Aliens and Alien Resurrection are the only ones where Ripley turns into a commando.

I watched Alien this weekend with my gf. I forgot how awesome that film was.

I concur

Apparently they're wheat farmers as well as intergalactic travelers 

Bear in mind, OP thought Deadpool was 'hot garbage'. 

pfsjkd -

Bear in mind, OP thought Deadpool was 'hot garbage'. 

It was ok. Marvel people overrated it 

jacktripper -

I concur

Apparently they're wheat farmers as well as intergalactic travelers 

I assumed Elizabeth planted the wheat not them lol. But yeah the Engineers make no sense now. So they're space trsvelers and life creators but also still have cavemen looking people on their planet??? Wut 

cheech - 
Vegito Blue -

In Aliens 2, there was a queen laying down all those eggs. Also in Promethius a giant facehugger mauled the pissed off engineer and a weird Alien popped out of his gut. I don't see how David created anything the Engineers hadn't already done. Even though it's apparent in Promethius that there was a mishap with the engineers as depicted in the hologram recordings getting wasted by their own biological Frankenstein, who's to say they hadn't done it right before?

Hell they allegedly made us and probably have made all kinds of biological creatures. That's the main complaint I hear, they shed ZERO light on any of that important info in this sequel.

Its already been confirmed the Engineers didn't create humans (Ridley has flat out said this in interviews). If anything someone else created humans and the Engineers as well, so if anything we kept on their tradition of creation (the Engineers w making the origins of the xenomorphs and humans w androids). It seems that for whatever reason the Engineers hated the thought of humans and were bent on destroying us but their weapon was too deadly, hence the scenes from Prometheus.

As said the Engineers are the ones who originally made the Xenomorphs but it seems that the ones we see by the time of the Alien film are different. As the ones we saw in Prometheus at the end as well as in Covenant are bigger and sleeker (makes sense as they had alot of Engineer DNA in them). If anything David's "creation" is taking what they did and then genetic manipulation to change them into what we know of today. The movie didn't lay that out as much as it could have IMO but if you really pay attention all of that is there.

So to summarize, the Engineers are the original creators of the xenomorph dna (and they didn't make humans but do want to exterminate them for some reason we haven't been told yet). David as shown in Covenant is genetically tampering to get to what he considers "perfection" (remember the xenomorph we saw at the end of Prometheus def is different than the ones we saw in this film which are different than the one we see in Alien). He constantly evolving them to the one we are familiar with in the original flicks.

Also, the next film is a sequel to this one and isn't between Prometheus and Covenant. It picks up where Covenant left off.

And to me the movie was def meh as it had a lot of things you could see a mile away and the team acted like complete imbeciles from the first min they awoke (its like they took the dumbest criticism from Prometheus and decided to dumb down every fucking character to storm trooper level to appease dumb asses). The reveal of David being Walter was moronic as well. Movie was beautiful at least I guess, just all the characters sans David and Walter were stupid as fuck the whole time.

watchin right now wondering wtf kenny powers is doing in it

ranier wolfcastle - 

watchin right now wondering wtf kenny powers is doing in it

Kicking ass.

I enjoyed it in a roller coaster sort of way.