Alistair Overeem's Striking?

I personally consider him to be the best Striker in MMA, I was wondering how could you emulate his style. If anyone could offer any advice I'd appreciate it, thanks. 

OSBtro11 -  Todays Reem uses his size to his advantage. while he isnt the fastest guy out there he is far from slow, he throws little to no probing strikes and rarely uses a jab. on the outside he uses leg and liver kicks but he seems to prefer to walk his opponets down into the corner or the ropes to limit the movement of his often smaller and much quicker opponet. his technical ability is pretty great but  the Gokhan Saki fight is a good example which shows how he really just turtles up takes several shots in order to to land his one. But his frame serves him well for that style. Unless your heavily muscled and can "shell up" while walking down whoever your against i wouldnt suggest trying it against somebody experienced who knows how to cut angles and use your constant forward movment against you.  In a nut shell, Reem today, IMO, is a very very conservative striker and really only strikes when he is given the opening to inflict the most damage usally via knee to the head, crushing hooks and overhands to the dome, also id watch the ben edwards fight. the  2010 K1 GP fights should show you exaxtly what i mean
Much appreciated, and voted up. 

But one question, regarding his head movement - in MMA it seems great whereas in K1 he rarely slipped, why didn't he use it more (in K1)? 

OSBtro11 - 
DonaldCerroneTheGuyNateDiazBeat - 
OSBtro11 -  Todays Reem uses his size to his advantage. while he isnt the fastest guy out there he is far from slow, he throws little to no probing strikes and rarely uses a jab. on the outside he uses leg and liver kicks but he seems to prefer to walk his opponets down into the corner or the ropes to limit the movement of his often smaller and much quicker opponet. his technical ability is pretty great but  the Gokhan Saki fight is a good example which shows how he really just turtles up takes several shots in order to to land his one. But his frame serves him well for that style. Unless your heavily muscled and can "shell up" while walking down whoever your against i wouldnt suggest trying it against somebody experienced who knows how to cut angles and use your constant forward movment against you.  In a nut shell, Reem today, IMO, is a very very conservative striker and really only strikes when he is given the opening to inflict the most damage usally via knee to the head, crushing hooks and overhands to the dome, also id watch the ben edwards fight. the  2010 K1 GP fights should show you exaxtly what i mean

But one question, regarding his head movement - in MMA it seems great whereas in K1 he rarely slipped, why didn't he use it more (in K1)? 

thanks a lot man, and its no problem.    well if anything, i would think that would have to do with the size of the gloves. theirs a pretty large differnce between the size of the gloves used in K1 and pro boxing compared to the 4oz ones in MMA. Blocking shots the way Reem did  in K1 would be MUCH less effective if those guys were throwing those strikes with 4oz gloves on. they would have got right  through his gaurd and found his chin
I write for CageJunkies.com, an I do breakdowns - and the one area I'm not very fond of is Alistair's lack of a jab. The guy has an 81 inch reach, given his size and power - if he established his jab and used his reach...it would only make him that much better. Any opinions? 

OSBtro11 - 
OSBtro11 - 

thanks a lot man, and its no problem.    well if anything, i would think that would have to do with the size of the gloves. theirs a pretty large differnce between the size of the gloves used in K1 and pro boxing compared to the 4oz ones in MMA. Blocking shots the way Reem did  in K1 would be MUCH less effective if those guys were throwing those strikes with 4oz gloves on. they would have got right  through his gaurd and found his chin
I write for CageJunkies.com, an I do breakdowns - and the one area I'm not very fond of is Alistair's lack of a jab. The guy has an 81 inch reach, given his size and power - if he established his jab and used his reach...it would only make him that much better. Any opinions? 

yeah im pretty big on using your jab. finding range, setting up combinations and counters, keeping your opponent from being able to settle and get comfortable due to having to constantly defend the jab. But i would think the reason Reem's  jabs are so few and far between is because, once again, his style is to walk his opponent down. The guy is built like a tank. and thats pretty much how he fights. stays inside his armour and walks you down till your backed up and trapped. then he goes for the kill. Extending your lead arm a lot leaves you open for counters, period. whether your hands are great or not, even proper technique has openings and weakness's. So by being so conservative with his strikes, he gives you nearly no opening of attack that could cause fight stopping damage.  IMHO

That's exactly what I was suspecting. I'm not critisizing Overeem in anyway shape or form, but given his previous KO losses it would be wise for him to fight a more "defensive game". I remember when Rogan had Bas on his podcast he mentioned something similiar to this. He basically told Rogan that he usually tells Alistair to use more combinations but Alistair never does, to state the obvious he's very conservative. I mean the guy is essentially a counter striker at this point in his career....

Although, he did jab alot more prior to his run in K1 - especially in his bout with Tae Hyun Lee. But then again, his stance, his footwork was all completely different. Which brings me into my next question which would be Alistair's footwork. People claim that he is flatfooted, and well yeah he might be If you're comparing him to a guy like Dominick Cruz but to be honest I don't see his footwork to be that flawed. If you notice in his fights, he almost always cuts off the cage or ring...As you said, he basically walks you down. But if his opponent does tend to attack him he simply circles out and re - engages (this happened several times during his bout with Brock). What are your opinions on his footwork, how to imitate it or if I even should imitate it? 

...And props to you dude, you've been awesome. 

Mr. Blonde -   I personally consider him to be the best Striker in MMA, I was wondering how could you emulate his style. If anyone could offer any advice I'd appreciate it, thanks. 

I think from a technical standpoint, Anderson silva and Anthony njkouani are the best I can think of. Phone Post

How about his head movement? - under MMA rules. The guy's head movement (with the exception of the Werdum fight) is pretty damn impressive. For example the Brett Rogers fight, and the Brock fight.  

I just watched his fight with Brock. Alistair really didn't use head movement in that fight. He has a good sense of distance and was basically just pulling back slightly to get out of range when Brock jabbed. I didn't find it particularly effective though b/c I don't think Alistair really has the speed to pull back and then counter. So yes, he made Brock miss a couple jabs, but he didn't make him pay for it. Brock should've jabbed more, and with more confidence. He's long as fuck, and Alistair gave him no reason not to up to that point.

Alistair typically moves his head as he's countering rather than slipping and then countering. The overhand right he's always looking to time off the jab is a good example. This makes more sense for a guy who lacks speed.

I think what he really has going for him is very good timing and the ability to mix it up.

good post. IMO, Alistair was able to get off b/c of Brock's total lack of offense when he was coming forward. Brock basically just backed straight up. Some of this is a credit to Alistair's feints, but mostly its because of Brock's obvious confidence issues. I don't think he would have won a fight on the feet had he jabbed more, but Brock would've been better off if he gave Alistair at least some reason to respect him while he was waiting to try another take down. Throwing with a little more conviction and mixing it up a bit more would have bought him more time.

Great posts guys- Reems last few K-1 fights he has the tightest guard ever LOL

He has learnt from his mistakes, jabs got him in trouble inthe past,and he doesnt take any chances anymore.

I personally love Alistairs knees the way he switches them up etc its great to see that in MMA and there should be more of it IMO

OUTCOLD - Great posts guys- Reems last few K-1 fights he has the tightest guard ever LOL

lol, seriously. The big guys can get away with it. Daniel Ghita's guard is tight as fuck too. Must be nice to be built that solid. Us lighter guys need to be a bit more evasive.

solid analysis imho. haven't seen a good thread in these parts in a while.  can't wait to see the Jan 28th B.Hari vs. G. Saki rematch!

DevinS - 
OUTCOLD - Great posts guys- Reems last few K-1 fights he has the tightest guard ever LOL

lol, seriously. The big guys can get away with it. Daniel Ghita's guard is tight as fuck too. Must be nice to be built that solid. Us lighter guys need to be a bit more evasive.

when he guards up hes like a tank coming at you just waiting to fire of that huge shot,

very very scary thought the Reem rolling towards you like that :)

Bull_in_chinashop -  solid analysis imho. haven't seen a good thread in these parts in a while.  can't wait to see the Jan 28th B.Hari vs. G. Saki rematch!

Forgot about this fight. Its going to be SICK. I think Badr is too long for Saki, but Gokhan has great speed and good combinations, so I'd never count him out. Its going to be explosive, that's for sure.

DevinS - 
Bull_in_chinashop -  solid analysis imho. haven't seen a good thread in these parts in a while.  can't wait to see the Jan 28th B.Hari vs. G. Saki rematch!

Forgot about this fight. Its going to be SICK. I think Badr is too long for Saki, but Gokhan has great speed and good combinations, so I'd never count him out. Its going to be explosive, that's for sure.

Fucking pumpedfor that fight