ALKALINE DIET? WHAT GIVES?!?!?

I am trying to get on a strictly ALKALINE and LOW GI
diet, but when doing my research online... I find TONS
of conflicting reports. Some say such and such type
of food is alkalizing and this/that is acidic and in
another report it lists the same type of foods the
opposite. With all these contradictory reports HOW
THE HELL am I supposed to safely know what is really
alkalizing foods and what is acidic? PLEASE any info.
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

"safely?"

How about this: Eat a diet with a lot of fruits and vegetables, some protein sources and fat sources. You can't go wrong.

-doug-

some fruits and veg. are high in acidity and on the
GI...

I would just like to find what foods are REALLY known
to be alkaline...

I understood your question, but i'm saying that diets that restrict you to one aspect of the food world, like what the acidity of your food is, are usually not the best.

I can't answer your specific question any further, since i dont know, but what i am saying is that occasionally eating an orange shouldn't be considered "unsafe" for anyone.

-doug-

doug, please take your logic and reason
elsewhere.

this is neither the time nor the place.....

ok your point is well taken...

that being said I would still like to know what foods
are REALLY known to be alkaline and/or how to find out
what foods are High alkaline. Thanks in advance.

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/269cov.jsp

Here is a good article on balancing your diet as far as alkaline/base goes.

"since the body must, at all costs, operate at a stable pH, any dietary acid load has to be neutralized by one of a number of homeostatic base-producing mechanisms."

So eating only alkaline foods is a way to operate at a stable pH (which is slightly acidic in the human body if i remember correctly)?

It looks like as long as i cut my mt dew with straight lemon jiuce i'll be living like pre agricultural man.

Like i said. Eat fruit and veggies. Eat protein and fat. You'll do just fine.

-doug-

All fad diets need names.

With all due respect. I did not ask whether or not
ALKALINE DIET is healthy or not... I only asked how
do I find out which food are ALKALINE... I appreciate
and respect your opinion. Now please allow me to find
out which foods are alkaline and which aren't. Thank
you.

hahaa, well... i was actually responding to the article. It's only as strong as the diet, but it seems alright (the article i mean)

-doug-

It is silly and scientifically bizarre,inaccurate, and illogical. Aside from that it is ok, great diet

I'll agree that it seems to be innacurate... I found
some articles/ reports saying spinach is alkaline and
others saying it is acidic... I found this with
numerous foods... HEALTHY FOODS... I am curious to
know where are they finding out which foods are
alkaline and which are acidic. Or better yet, where I
can find out for myself which foods are alkaline/
acidic.

Randy Couture is a great spokesman for it though. I'd
really like to know where they are basing their diets
from.

Thanks you

your best bet would be to look for a book about the alkaline diet. I found a book at the local border's bookstore and it was cheap at about $19. It explains the whole alkaline position, medical tests to determine if body is acidic, signs & symptoms of body being too acidic, how to BALANCE the body's pH, types of food and recipes, supplementation recommendation, exercises, and lifestyle changes to outline the book. For the darn of me I forgot the title of the book. I actually read it a couple weeks ago at the store and wrote down notes, didn't quite buy it because I was just looking for some info. Not bending to become an alkali-guy.

One piece of info that was interesting was how there are some vegetables/foods that we would assume to be acidic, but in fact when it's digested it produces an alkalizing effect. alrighty then. But here's something obvious- it doesn't say to gorge your food, it doesn't say it's okay to hit up a fast food joint that has a modified menu, nor does it say that you are saving the animals by not eating lots of meat. My eating style, or diet, is limited already but it is good to read some info about the types of food you ALREADY eat.

Sorry for long post, but like the many conflicting finds you found on the net you may get the same from responses in here. SO by referring you to one book can help you focus on your change in eating habits. That's pretty much what the internet can do to you, makes you lose focus because of info-overload.

"I am trying to get on a strictly ALKALINE and LOW GI diet"

While there's no real contradiction there you do want to keep in mind that the GI of foods has nothing to do with their acidity. Rasins, for instance, are pretty high on the GI but are one of the most alkaline foods you can eat.

I think people are goofing on 'THE ALKALINE DIET' as a trend, but balancing blood acidity is something worth considering. As Doug mentioned, as sensible approach would be just eat a balanced diet . . . fruits and veggies are generally alkaline while grains, dairy, meat and fish are generally acidic. It would be pretty lame to subsist on fruits and veggies alone, and would certainly lead to a host of other deficiencies.

The best way to make use of this information would be incorperate alkaline foods into your diet to balance blood ph. Not to exclude acidic foods you certianly need for their protien and fats. For people eating a sensible diet already, this isn't much of an issue.

Legion is correct

ayla108
" but like the many conflicting finds you found on the
net you may get the same from responses in here. SO by
referring you to one book can help you focus on your
change in eating habits. That's pretty much what the
internet can do to you, makes you lose focus because
of info-overload. "

man u aint just whistlin dixie... I fear if I do the
research in books as well, I will find even more
contradictory reports within the books written about
the ALKALiNE DIET. I wonder what would be replied if
I post something in the team quest forum about how
"authorities" on the alkaline diet contradict
themselves.

I posted on here once about how much bicarb the body makes for buffering and how insignificant the ph of the food is compared to the total body buffering system but noone cared or understood

biochem textbook... blood buffering... ill look into
it.. thanks.

one thing though... if the alkaline diet is bs... why
do couture and tq endorse it so ?

I am not looking to ba a fighter or anything.. and I
am in great shape... just curious to know why they
like it so much.

He is a fighter, not a nutritionist or biochemist: not saying it is a bad diet, just that the ph/alkaline stuff is untrue